[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Access to command window unavailable while world config is open

Access to command window unavailable while world config is open

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Daniel P   USA  (97 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 20 Mar 2010 07:25 PM (UTC)
Is there an option somewhere to allow access to the command/output window while the world configuration window is open?

I noticed this worked a few versions back, at least after an alias/trigger/etc. had been edited and closed. Example was to open the configuration window, open a specific script of some sort, close it and then I could type in the command window without having to close configuration. But now more recently I've been unable to actually test new scripts or things while the world config window was open, which I think is fairly time consuming because of having to close, test, re-open, re-find and edit a specific script.

Thanks.
-Daniel
(vs. 4.49 on WinXP)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Twisol   USA  (2,257 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sat 20 Mar 2010 07:47 PM (UTC)
All dialogs in MUSHclient are "modal"; they become the main focus of the program, and you can't switch to a dialog or window "further back" in its stack. It's not just the world configuration dialog, but also the Immediate window, individual trigger/alias/timer edit dialogs, global preferences, the Functions List dialog, the list goes on.

There is no option to change this behavior. From what I know, it would be hard to change the code to use non-modal dialogs, because modal dialogs have almost an implicit guarantee that the only way for the user to interact with the program is through the current dialog. What if you edit an individual alias, but delete it in the aliases list before you save it? How should MUSHclient respond? The answer may be clear, but the code may not account for it, which means more work to ensure that the program stays consistent.

'Soludra' on Achaea

Blog: http://jonathan.com/
GitHub: http://github.com/Twisol
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sat 20 Mar 2010 08:19 PM (UTC)
All right. Well I guess that's that then. Although I wondered what allowed it to happen in the past. Probably a bug that got fixed..although I don't recall when that was.

Thank you for the explanation.
-Daniel
[Go to top] top

Posted by Twisol   USA  (2,257 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Sat 20 Mar 2010 08:19 PM (UTC)
It's been like that for as long as I can remember. *shrug* You're welcome!

'Soludra' on Achaea

Blog: http://jonathan.com/
GitHub: http://github.com/Twisol
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Sat 20 Mar 2010 08:29 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 20 Mar 2010 08:30 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

Whilst the program never allowed it, you can do it like this:

• Open the trigger/alias list and find the alias (or whatever) that you want to work on.

• Make sure it has a name (ie. something in the Label box)

• In the alias list click on the Copy button (not when you are editing the alias, but when you see the list of them).

• That puts the alias on the clipboard.

• Open an internal Notepad window (Ctrl+Alt+Space)

• Paste into it (you should see your alias in XML form)

• Before the alias (or aliases, or whatever) put this:

ImportXML
    [==[

After it put this:

]==]

• Now just edit it (I presume you are editing the Send box mainly)

• To test, go to the Edit menu -> Send to Script (Shift+Ctrl+I)

• That will import your alias (using the ImportXML) and replace the current one in the associated world file.

• Switch back to the world file window (Ctrl+Alt+Space again) and test the alias

• To make more changes just Ctrl+Alt+Space again, make the change, and then Shift+Ctrl+I again.

A screenshot follows to show the idea.

An alternative, if the alias involves a script is to not do "send to script" but put a script function in the Script box, and put the script in a script file (see the scripting tab). Then you can use an external editor like Crimson Editor to edit the script, and when you save it will be automatically imported (with the scripting option "Recompile when script changes" set to "Always") and you can test immediately.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Sat 20 Mar 2010 08:30 PM (UTC)
- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Sat 20 Mar 2010 08:32 PM (UTC)
The only problem with the notepad window idea is that the symbols < > and & are converted into &lt; &gt; and &amp; for the XML form.

Now you *can* unconvert them (Convert menu -> Unconvert HTML special) while you work on it, and then convert them back (Convert menu -> Convert HTML special) but you might find it easier to use the separate script idea, if you have a lot of those.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Sat 20 Mar 2010 09:02 PM (UTC)
Well that's one trick I like! It'll a bit of work on my part to learn it and get used to it (and add labels to all my things), but of course, just starting out with this program was quite a bit of work at first too.

As for &lt;, &gt;, &nbsp;, etc, those are easy to work with.

Speaking of labels and names....no, save that for another subject.

Anyhow, thank you for all this help!
-Daniel
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

16,307 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]