[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Development
. . -> [Subject]  The lamp icon

The lamp icon

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 05 Oct 2010 12:32 PM (UTC)
Nick, do you happen to have the source image for this file still lying around?

http://www.gammon.com.au/images/Mushclient_logo_64px.png

I've gone through the various different renditions of the MUSHclient lamp in your images directory, and I like that one a lot. If a PSD or some other bigger source format is available, you or I or someone else who cares could remodel it to become a proper MUSHclient icon.

Reason? The old 32x32 icon looks ugly as hell on my W7 taskbar, as do shortcuts and the likes. :(
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Tue 05 Oct 2010 09:21 PM (UTC)

This file (the EPS one) is the original lamp. You should be able to import that into Photoshop at any resolution and get it rendered nicely.

http://gammon.com.au/files/mushclient/src/MushClient%20logo.eps

The next two are the files I used for the installer images - basically it should give you the approximate colours:

http://gammon.com.au/files/mushclient/src/MUSHclient%203%20logo.psd

http://gammon.com.au/files/mushclient/src/MUSHclient%20Installer.psd

Basically you get the lamp image, find edges, fill a gradient fill in the middle, tweak it up, and there you are!

Good idea.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Tue 05 Oct 2010 09:27 PM (UTC)
That's great. I was kinda afraid they might be a one-off effort made by someone else given the fact that particular image was the only one of its kind.

Now to see if Paint.Net can eat these files, since I don't own Photoshop. :)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Tue 05 Oct 2010 09:34 PM (UTC)
The Gimp should be able to handle EPS - it's a pretty old format.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Tue 05 Oct 2010 09:40 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 05 Oct 2010 10:10 PM (UTC) by Worstje

Edit: Such a troublesome file format. Le sigh. Getting Ghostscript next.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Tue 05 Oct 2010 09:49 PM (UTC)
I was even able to open the EPS file in Preview (on the Mac) - it looks like this:

That should be good enough to work with, for an icon.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Tue 05 Oct 2010 10:11 PM (UTC)
Yeah I already got it. Apparently GIMP has issues finding ghostscript, so I had to fiddle with environment variables and such. :)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Wed 06 Oct 2010 01:26 AM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 06 Oct 2010 02:22 AM (UTC) by Worstje

Ok, so I've been fighting the GIMP quite a bit. Eventually I found out in IRC that gimp apparently has a big in its downsizing algorithms, meaning they look crap... Finally did the resize in Paint.Net and then used gimp to convert, and then got a more acceptable result...

[img]http://i54.tinypic.com/2d83wp1.png[/img] .ico @ qs . merseine . nu / download / mush32_1.zip

The zip only contains a 32x32, 24 bit icon right now. I'll add some other sizes and perhaps colordepths too if I get some feedback that says 'yeah this looks fine'.

I have a big load of other sizes lying around, but they all look crap due to the bug I mentioned above, and it is a bit too late to repeat all of that stuff at this time of night. :)

Edit: I need to look at adding a dropshadow still - I only saw it on a light background for the first time just now and it looks quite a bit crappier this way. >.<
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Thu 07 Oct 2010 04:32 AM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 07 Oct 2010 04:35 AM (UTC) by Worstje

I've been messing with the icons a lot, but somehow I manage to suck at image manipulation... or I've got bad taste, or it simply doesn't look better with other fancy stuff added in.

At the same location as my previous post I've put up a mush_icons2.zip file. It has .ico files for 32x32, 40x40, 48x48 and 256x256, all formats that are recommended by the MSDN page regarding icons. (http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa511280.aspx)

I wasn't really in a mood anymore to try messing with the 16x16, or low-colour icons, partially because the way I figure it those are hurt 'least' by the current yellow-brown blob of simplicity.

If anyone can point out stuff to improve about the icons I concocted (all credit goes to Nick for the original .eps, really), let me know and I'll try to improve them.

Edit: Onecan put all of these into a single file using resources, I believe, and Windows will pick the properly sized one for the occasion. But I haven't fiddled with that stuff win win98, so I am not sure about the works regarding the more recent alpha transparency stuff - apparently the .ico format changed quite a bit, so the multiple-icons-in-a-single-file crap might have changed as well. Can do research on it if needed.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Twisol   USA  (2,257 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Thu 07 Oct 2010 11:02 PM (UTC)
The second set of icons look great, Worstje! I lined the 40x40 one up against the one on my W7 taskbar, and you can really see the difference. It's a big improvement!

'Soludra' on Achaea

Blog: http://jonathan.com/
GitHub: http://github.com/Twisol
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Wed 13 Oct 2010 05:38 AM (UTC)
Nick, did you miss this topic, or is there something wrong the icons so far?

If you want I can look about putting the different sizes into a single file (which I was too lazy to figure thus far), but seeing how my main computer is currently in pieces that is a bit tricky for me.

So uh.. feedback please. :)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Wed 13 Oct 2010 05:43 AM (UTC)
Ah yes it looks OK. I didn't realize you wanted a response.

You may or may not have noticed, but I haven't been changing the resources DLL much over the last couple of years. The main reason is that I believe some people have been internationalizing it, and if I go and change it, that would throw out their copy.

I must admit I assumed this was another project of making things look nicer without any major functionality changes.

I have been concentrating over the last couple of days on doing a mapper for Materia Magica, partly to help players on that MUD, and partly to illustrate the general idea (for non-ATCP MUDs). By changing the room code detection a bit, you could apply the mapper to virtually any MUD.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Wed 13 Oct 2010 07:06 AM (UTC)
There is no functional change present to my knowledge. It's just a replacement if an icon resource (with a few higher resolution alternatives added). I am not sure why it would throw out people with changed versions of the resource dll - last I checked, the icon itself is actually a part of the MUSHclient executable and not the localization dll.

Having no VS environment available to me right now, I am not sure how exactly the appropriate .rc file is generated, but if it is merely created from the mushclient.ico file that is present in the same directory, I think it would be as trivial an affair as combining the different icon resolutions into a single file and have it replaced the .ico file. VS would do the rest then, I believe.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Wed 13 Oct 2010 07:32 AM (UTC)
Yes, well 48x48 is the greatest my IDE will support <sob>.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Wed 13 Oct 2010 01:19 PM (UTC)
I'll see if I can figure out a method to get it to work with your IDE. Resources aren't that complicated, and as long as it is only the editor and not the resource compiler thing that's messing up, it ought to be fine.

Must say, by the way, I never ever saw that 256 colour icon. Windows always shows me the 16 color ones.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

40,803 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]