[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  New Admin, various questions

New Admin, various questions

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Riptor00ZERO   (6 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 24 Aug 2013 11:40 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 25 Aug 2013 01:29 AM (UTC) by Riptor00ZERO

Alright, I've always wanted my own game so I'm finally going for it. I already know exactly what I want it to do, but the tricky bit is making that happen, right? I've played a lot of games and I've been a builder on several. I've got some coding experience too, similar but not specifically what's used here.

I've been messing around with SMAUG 1.9 for a couple days and have made a few minor changes that so far haven't broken anything.

Still a few things I'd like to get some help on, though.

1) How do I have character creation set Race first? Preferably race > sex > class. I came across something about this before but now I can't find it.
1a) Alternatively, I'd like to use a more involved character creation overall with more options. (Example: Select "Elf" as a race, then choose "Light Elf" or "Wood Elf," etc)
(I think I'm actually gonna go with a "Default" starting race/class and have customization take place in an interactive zone)
1c) How would I go about having race and class set automatically when creating a character? And I guess have gender start as neutral as well, though I suppose it might do that anyway.

2) (New question) How would I go about adding extra Class slots for characters? In other words, Multiclass.

3) How do I set innate effects on races, such as elemental weakness/resistance and passive buffs?

4) How would I go about changing the elemental properties?

That's all I'm trying to work on at the moment. I have a feeling I could sort a lot of this out myself if I just knew where to look.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #1 on Sun 25 Aug 2013 01:00 AM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 26 Aug 2013 03:05 AM (UTC) by Riptor00ZERO

Well I found the topic I was looking for but didn't manage to resolve 1). I guess I missed something because I didn't manage to actually change anything when I ran the game.

Incidentally, I made a list of some other things I'm wanting to change. And please don't just say "search for X" because I am actually looking for this stuff before and after I post it.

5) How would I go about setting other power reserves besides Mana? Such as if I wanted to add Chi or Energy to certain classes the way Blood is tied to Vampires (presumably).

6) I actually haven't looked much into this, but is there support for races to be affected by time of day? Such as Undead being stronger at night or a Plant person stronger during the day?

7) How would I set whether a race requires air to breath? So that it wouldn't require Waterbreathing to stay in the water or could access a vacuum (which I'll work on coding in later if necessary).

8) How do I add or change wear locations? Such as if a race has a tail or extra arms or no legs.

9) I know SMAUG has support for body parts (one of the reasons I chose it) but how do I find/modify them based on race?

10) Minor thing, how do I change the combat message to stop saying "Decimate"? At best it should be reserved for dealing 10% damage... I think I have it saying "ravage" instead of "decimate" now.

11a) I'd like characters to have Size modifiers based on height, but I don't even know where to start on something like that. Not a high priority right now though. Don't know how to do this but I've got a workaround.
11b) I'd like the height and weight to fall in a range instead of a specific number (unless it already is? I honestly didn't check this too much)
11c) I'd like equipment based on sizes, though if necessary I'll just restrict it by races in the desired size categories Got a workaround for this.

12) How can I prevent stats being randomized on creation? I'd like all 13s to be the baseline for which racial mods are applied.

I already found a post for setting hp/mana gains to be based on unmodified stats, working on that now.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Sun 25 Aug 2013 01:47 AM (UTC)

10) Minor thing, how do I change the combat message to stop saying "Decimate"? At best it should be reserved for dealing 10% damage...

I can answer that one, I think:

$ grep -i decimate *.c

const.c:   "rip", "gash", "lacerate", "hack", "maul", "rend", "decimate",
const.c:   "decimates", "_mangles_", "_devastates_", "_cleaves_", "_butchers_",
const.c:   "batter", "flog", "pummel", "smash", "maul", "bludgeon", "decimate",
const.c:   "bludgeons", "decimates", "_shatters_", "_devastates_", "_maims_",
const.c:   "injure", "hit", "jar", "thrash", "maul", "decimate", "_traumatize_",
const.c:   "injures", "hits", "jars", "thrashes", "mauls", "decimates", "_traumatizes_",

That looks to be where that word appears.

As for the others, it could all be done no doubt, but I haven't looked at the code for a while. I would take one at a time and work through it.

You could try asking on the SmaugFUSS forum. This one (here) is fairly quiet these days.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Sun 25 Aug 2013 01:51 AM (UTC)
Got it, thanks. Now to think of a good word to replace it with...
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sun 25 Aug 2013 06:41 PM (UTC)
It seems to accept my custom races and classes just fine... for the first 15 or so. Then it lists things like R8 and Unknown for the next few. And it really, really doesn't seem to like the idea of there being more than 20 even if I change the max_class and max_race in mud.h to something higher.

I'm not trying to set them to options in the creation menu (I'm trying to get rid of the standard creation, it's just ignoring my efforts so far) I just want to be able to set this stuff separately later.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Sun 25 Aug 2013 10:17 PM (UTC)
If you change the header file make sure you force a recompile of everything (eg. "make clean").

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Mon 26 Aug 2013 02:04 AM (UTC)
Well, now I'm worried; I don't know what the header file is. I haven't even started compiling yet, just working with the base files til I get some of the groundwork out of the way. As it is, it's easier for me to replace anything I screw up too badly.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #7 on Mon 26 Aug 2013 06:03 AM (UTC)
I don't know what the header file is.

Anything with a file name ending in .h

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Mon 26 Aug 2013 10:55 AM (UTC)

And it really, really doesn't seem to like the idea of there being more than 20 even if I change the max_class and max_race in mud.h to something higher.

I haven't even started compiling yet, ...

Ah, changing mud.h implies you compiled something.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Sat 31 Aug 2013 12:19 PM (UTC)
Whelp, got caught up in physical RL work, so I haven't made any progress on my coding -_-
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

20,815 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]