[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Keeping worlds separate during multiplay

Keeping worlds separate during multiplay

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Graymane   USA  (14 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 13 Jul 2014 09:21 PM (UTC)
Ok, I have a world file for my mud which allows multiplay. I've been working on a set of plugins for this mud and am now ready to start using multiple characters.

How exactly do I make this work? I couldn't seem to launch a second copy of my mcl file. So I made a copy of it and renamed it. Now when I run both world files, triggers are interfering with each. How is possible that the two world files are sensing each other's inputs and triggers?

I don't even know where to start to track this down. I have a lot of plugins and triggers I've created for this mud.

Must of the topics devoted to multi play seem to be about how to make them work together rather than keep them apart -) Is there some kind of general architectural guide to multiplay?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 14 Jul 2014 09:08 AM (UTC)
That shouldn't happen. Each world file is separate.

Quote:

Now when I run both world files, triggers are interfering with each.

Can you elaborate on what is happening?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Mon 14 Jul 2014 09:09 AM (UTC)
If you look at one of my last topics, I asked something similar for enabling triggers based on which character I was logging in. You might get away with something similar for your triggers.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Mon 14 Jul 2014 09:17 AM (UTC)
Further to my reply, please copy and paste a relevant trigger (one that is interfering) here.

Template:copying For advice on how to copy aliases, timers or triggers from within MUSHclient, and paste them into a forum message, please see Copying XML.

Then describe in what way this interference is occurring.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Graymane   USA  (14 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Mon 14 Jul 2014 11:37 PM (UTC)
Ok, I figured out what it was. I had a multiline trigger that had some issues. The char I designed the plugins with was configured to send a newline with input and my other chars didn't have that. So what happened was that the multiline trigger got stuck waiting for input. When I logged in my other char and moved around in the same room, that shows up as mud world output and was picked up by the bad multiline trigger.

I'm still stuck trying to figure out why my world files have to be different? Why can't I use the same world file with different characters at the same time?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Mon 14 Jul 2014 11:53 PM (UTC)
Well, you need multiple copies at runtime because each one maintains a connection to the server. I suppose you are asking why can't they all be the same actual disk file? Under MFC (the library it is compiled under) it assumes that if you open the file multiple times you actually want the same one again (eg. a word processor).

Also if you have world variables which change (which a lot of people do) then you need different actual files because when it saves it would overwrite the previous copy.

To have a similar treatment (eg. trigger set) for multiple characters I suggest putting them into plugins, and then share the plugins. Each plugin has its own "save state" file which works around the issue of saving variables.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

17,160 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]