[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Mapping bug

Mapping bug

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1  2 

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #15 on Tue 11 Jun 2002 05:09 AM (UTC)
The option is actually "keep commands on prompt line".

What that really does is allow you to mix different "types" of data on one line.

Prior to that, MUSHclient always kept the following three types of output data on separate lines:

• Output from the MUD
  • Commands you type
  • World.note output

Thus, if MUSHclient had a line with (say) 30 characters of world.tell on it (without a newline) and got some MUD output, then the MUD output would commence a new line, as you would expect it to (because they are different things).

Similarly, if you had a prompt, and then typed a command it used to start a new line, eg.

<31hp 100m 110mv> north

Using identical logic, it started a new line - so you actually saw:

<31hp 100m 110mv>
north

However some people complained that the commands should really be on the same line as the prompt, hence that option. Now what it does is, if it is about to switch from:

MUD output ---> Your command

It doesn't start a new line.

However, that is not really detecting a prompt as such. It is detecting some MUD output that hasn't finished with a newline. eg. you might have:

-- 10% read -- [more] ---

Or even, just a partially-received line (because TCP/IP breaks data up into packets).

Thus, I don't think that I can say that if I have MUD output, that doesn't have a newline after it, that it is necessarily the prompt, and thus I can't detect a prompt particularly reliably. Let's remember this whole thread started because you wanted the mapper to be more reliable, so trying to add to the reliability with something that itself is not reliable, is not really going to help.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #16 on Tue 11 Jun 2002 07:03 PM (UTC)
Ah.. Well not being clear on what it did I made an obvious error. It simply means that the mapper needs to be able to ID the prompt to work. I am not sure what I thought, except that maybe telnet had some sort of special packet for 'this is a prompt', but obviously not. ;)
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

33,632 views.

This is page 2, subject is 2 pages long:  [Previous page]  1  2 

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]