[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  Automapper

Automapper

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Syros   USA  (26 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 03 Aug 2003 06:08 AM (UTC)
I would like to see an automapper similar to zMUD's or Portals. I mean directions are nice and all but sometimes I just want to see a map of an area and add little comments to certain rooms.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sun 03 Aug 2003 06:54 AM (UTC)
There has been quite a bit of discussion on this. The basic conclusion was that specific muds could have custom program made for them by those that cared to, but that the issues of making won the really works right is so complicated that even existing ones do badly in some games. If someone actually wrote on and worked out most of the serious issues to prove it was possible, then maybe Nick could be convinced of the value of intergrating the code (since some things no matter how good the scripting is in mushclient are no practical or even possible with it), but the odds of one being developed by Nick himself is probably slim to none...
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Sun 03 Aug 2003 07:54 AM (UTC)
I was thinking it might be fun to make the attempt ...

:)

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Mon 04 Aug 2003 05:45 AM (UTC)
Hmm. A change of toon.. lol Time to dig back through the forums for all the posts we had about the flaws and possible fixed for them that got discussed. ;)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Mon 04 Aug 2003 08:54 PM (UTC)
Well the only reason I was suggesting it is because on some MUDs speedwalking is illegal and on others (like the one I play based off Final Fantasy) it's impossible to speedwalk because of random encounters.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Mon 04 Aug 2003 10:28 PM (UTC)
That's an interesting argument for an automapper. In almost 10 years I've never come across a MUD at which speedwalking was illegal.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Mon 04 Aug 2003 11:07 PM (UTC)
On Ancient Anguish, the main MUD I play, it was illegal for the longest time. And another reason I need an automapper.. to make sure I've visited every room in an area. <curses at Cleft as he looks for the dumb key to go kill this idiot.>
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #7 on Wed 06 Aug 2003 04:10 AM (UTC)
If you made a speed walk delay of a second or so, they couldn't tell you were speedwalking, unless they got anal about it and measured the length that your commands arrived and complained they were exactly 1 second apart.

If that happened you could make a timer that fired every second or two which changed the speedwalk delay slightly (eg. 500 ms, 1500 ms, 2000 ms, 800 ms) so that it looked like you were actually typing it.

Combine that with "random socials" or some other similar thing that randomly does things every few seconds - but at varying intervals - then it would really look like there was someone there typing. eg. do "look", "score", "stats", "inventory", "help" etc.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Wed 06 Aug 2003 08:22 AM (UTC)
That would probably work on there but there's the other couple problems I mentioned, unless you have a way around that as well (I'd be happy to hear it). Namely the random encounters (ie being thrown into a fight at random).
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Wed 06 Aug 2003 08:08 PM (UTC)
That would be easy to fix. Make a trigger that matches the start of a fight, and cancel the speedwalk queue. For instance, if a fight starts like this:

The * attacks you!

Then the trigger could look like this:

<triggers>
  <trigger
   enabled="y"
   match="The * attacks you!"
   send_to="12"
   sequence="100"
   >
  <send>If Not IsEmpty (GetQueue) Then
  DiscardQueue
  ColourNote "white", "red", "** Fight! Speedwalk queue discarded"
End If

</send>
  </trigger>
</triggers>

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

19,357 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]