[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  Dawn of Time
. -> [Folder]  Administration
. . -> [Subject]  Is DOT Newbie Friendly?

Is DOT Newbie Friendly?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Sabrina   (1 post)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 27 Jan 2005 05:00 AM (UTC)

I just want to say thank in advance for any tips and advice you can give me, as I'm new to DOT, but not new to MUD admin.

At the moment, I'm running CoffeeMud, but honestly, there isn't a whole lot of support for it just yet, as it's not a widely used code (Java based). I've decided that if I want to run and design/build my own, I need to go with a code that is more supported by experience users of it.

With that being said, I have a few questions.

Is the offline area editor that was made for SMAUG useable with DOT? I have the registered version that I got right here at Mr. Gammon's :) Along with his wonderful game client. (Yes, I'm a suck-up, I can't help it).

I don't plan on implementing any code snippets, or new code at all, but building areas, mobs, etc. I'll worry about code changes later ;)

Also, if anyone could point me in the right direction for some detailed OLC/commands for Dawn of Time, that would be great, as well :)

Thanks again!

Sabrina
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Thu 27 Jan 2005 09:55 AM (UTC)
Quite honestly I have no idea if the area editor is compatable with DoT but the OLC is friendly enough I've never had reason not to use it. As for newbie friendly, extremely so and it has a reasonably complete help file system and extreme MXP tagging for "point and click" operation within the mud. The commands are largely similar to rom and the code is nicely compartmentalized though that does play havoc with inserting snipets if you should come across one that isn't already available in some form (vehicles and unique items being the only standouts I can think of as useful inclusions - both in limbo at stormbringer no less)

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Fri 28 Jan 2005 11:06 PM (UTC)
The Area Editor won't edit DoT areas, they are somewhat different to SMAUG, partly because DoT is more powerful.

However I think it imports SMAUG or ROM areas, so you could conceivably make on in the first place with the editor and then import it, but then you can't change it afterwoods in the Area Editor.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Dkota   (1 post)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Fri 18 Feb 2005 07:55 AM (UTC)
As it appears DoT is a strong influence on this site, is there a plan for a AE version that supports DoT? The file format of DoT seems easy enough to make it a quick process. While I love AE for offline building, one small suggestion, in that the object stats for each object type be configurable. Lets see if I can make that clearer. Objects of type weapon have the following values coded (doesn't appear to be a way to change it) of Value1 = Condition, Value2 = Num Dice, Value3 = Size Dize, Value 4 = Type. This is very handy but also limited. Say I wanted a sword that would after a period crumble to dust on a character, yes I could write an object program, or I could just add Value 5 = Timer (and extract object when timer = 0) It would be nice to be able to add the Label to Value 5 of Timer, or for that matter rename some of the current values should I choose. Would affect the file structure a bit as well as I now need to read 5 values for type weapon, easy enough with 1 additional minor changes, on user settable revision number for area files (so it knows if I have old type or new type of area (Could be an option to write this data in preferences so maintain compatability). Also if I change object types around moving the labels would be of a great benifit as well. Just some suggestions.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Sun 20 Feb 2005 12:03 AM (UTC)
Yes nice idea. Perhaps in a future version. :)

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

20,412 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]