[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  built-in name/password variables?

built-in name/password variables?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by SKYY   (28 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 04 Apr 2008 03:25 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 04 Apr 2008 03:27 PM (UTC) by SKYY

Under World Properties->General->Connecting, there are fields for Name and Password (and Connect).

I do not like AutoConnect, but I would like to make an alias that sent this name field, and nicely-starred-out password field, to the MUD.

Beneath the Connect Text box, it says "You can use %name% or %password%, if you wish the name or password supplied above to be inserted." I don't think that applies to making aliases, but if there is some way I can use that, please let me know.

Right now, I'm putting all my passwords into un-hidden variables (!!) and using an alias "log" = "@ch;@pw". Can I use the %name% and %password% fields instead, somehow?
[Go to top] top

Posted by StuDraKi   Germany  (17 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 04 Apr 2008 04:43 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 04 Apr 2008 04:45 PM (UTC) by StuDraKi

Any variable you are using is "open" (see world variables). You may use lua to encrypt/decrypt (but I don't know if there is something ready to use). Nevertheless, someone which may read your computer will find your encryption algorithm and file...

On the other hand your telnet connection to your mud is not encrypted, unless you are using a SSL tunnel (see homepage of your mud, there are some who provide a SSL connection). Without encryption of your connection it makes no sense to protect your password.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shaun Biggs   USA  (644 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Fri 04 Apr 2008 05:47 PM (UTC)
It makes sense on a level of people wandering up to your computer and deleting your account. There have been several discussions about this on the forums in the past, but I honestly just do not store my password anywhere and have aliases set up to gag commands that require my password from getting displayed or stored in the command history. That and I lock my computer when I am away from it, even when no one is home but me... My roommate's cats may attempt to exact revenge for me not skritching them or for tripping over them or something.

It is much easier to fight for one's ideals than to live up to them.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,981 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Fri 04 Apr 2008 08:38 PM (UTC)

I do not like AutoConnect, but I would like to make an alias that sent this name field, and nicely-starred-out password field, to the MUD.

Those are internal variables, not in the normal variable window. However you can access them with GetAlphaOption provided you are not inside a plugin (for security reasons).

Here is an alias that will do what you want:

<aliases>
  <alias
   match="log"
   enabled="y"
   send_to="12"
   sequence="100"
  >
  <send>
SendNoEcho (GetAlphaOption ("player"))
SendNoEcho (GetAlphaOption ("password"))

Note "Name and password sent"
</send>
  </alias>
</aliases>

I should warn you that it isn't too hard for someone familiar with scripting to use similar scripts to display the password on the screen, so security isn't that great. However it should discourage a casual passer-by from seeing your password.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by SKYY   (28 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Sat 05 Apr 2008 02:21 AM (UTC)

Thanks.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

15,888 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]