[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Apostrophes in Variables sent to script

Apostrophes in Variables sent to script

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Plyth   (5 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 11 Nov 2008 04:47 PM (UTC)
Okay, so I have a trigger set up so that when someone sends me a tell to MIND SENSE <target>, I will perform that action and reply to them with the target's location. This works perfectly except for in situations where the target's location has apostrophes in the title. For example, one person I mind sensed was located at Entryway to Merchant's Quarter. I store that into a variable and then use Send('reply @location') to reply to the person requesting the sense. However, the apostrophe in the @location variable causes the Send function to end after Entryway to Merchant and I'm left with s Quarter still trying to be sent to the MUD and MUSH doesn't know how to process that. Is there a way to get around this problem? It would be very helpful...
[Go to top] top

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 11 Nov 2008 05:51 PM (UTC)
That's the fundamental flaw with Send To Script. It is a literal paste into the code, meaning that it can make the syntax of the script incorrect and thus not work.

The best way to work around it (assuming you want to use a script for it) is to place a function in the main script file, and point to that. For example, make the script field say MindSense and put the following in your main script file (assuming Lua for the moment)

function MindSense(name, line, wildcs)
  Send('reply ' .. wildcs[1])
end

This assumes your trigger is an regular expression and looks like this (I play Aetolia so it might differ from Achaea's trigger):
^An image of (.+) appears in your mind\.$

There's an alternative way without scripting too, but in general, I find the scripting method to be simpler once you start adding stuff to it later, so this saves some effort in the long run (or it does for me). Either way, it should work. Let me know if you have any problems getting it to work.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Tue 11 Nov 2008 06:32 PM (UTC)
Okay thanks a lot. That is the same trigger line as the one in Achaea. I just need to learn a bit more about scripting in LUA and I'll figure it out. Thanks for your help!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,981 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Tue 11 Nov 2008 06:40 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 11 Nov 2008 07:15 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

Another approach is to not use the variable expansion the way you did. Instead of:

Send ('reply @location')

do:

Send ('reply ' .. GetVariable ('location'))

That way it doesn't matter what is in the variable 'location'.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Tue 11 Nov 2008 06:49 PM (UTC)
Ah sweet, even better! I was just reading about concatenation and was wondering if that would work...

Thanks much!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Tue 11 Nov 2008 07:31 PM (UTC)
Yeah, but why go through a special location variable? The location variable would be set right from that same trigger. Just makes it messier and more errorprone in the long run.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,981 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #6 on Tue 11 Nov 2008 07:37 PM (UTC)
I was responding to the specific query about the quotes. Maybe if we saw the whole trigger we could give a response to the whole thing. See http://mushclient.com/copying.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Tue 11 Nov 2008 07:51 PM (UTC)
Okay, so that didn't actually work...still throws the same error message. Here are the triggers for it:

<triggers>
<trigger
enabled="y"
match="* tells you, "Mind sense *.""
send_to="12"
sequence="100"
>
<send>SetVariable('reporting','on')
Send('mind sense %2')</send>
</trigger>
</triggers>

<triggers>
<trigger
enabled="y"
match="An image of * appears*"
send_to="12"
sequence="100"
>
<send>local reporting
SetVariable('location','%1')
reporting = GetVariable('reporting')
if reporting == "on" then
Send('reply ' .. GetVariable('location'))
SetVariable('reporting','off')
end</send>
</trigger>
<trigger
enabled="y"
match="Whom do you wish to sense for?"
send_to="12"
sequence="100"
>
<send>local reporting
if reporting == 'on' then
Send('reply Target not able to be sensed.')
end</send>
</trigger>
</triggers>

and then I have two aliases to turn reporting on and off so that everytime I mind sense it doesn't reply with the person's location.

I tried doing it while standing at the location Golden Walk next to Philosopher's Plaza and got this error message:

[string "Trigger: "]:2: ')' expected near 's'

I hope this helps...
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Tue 11 Nov 2008 08:31 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 11 Nov 2008 08:35 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

I am presuming this is the relevant part:

local reporting
end

You have only partly solved the problem with:

because earlier up you have:

This is also going to fail with the quotes.

One easy way around it is to use double quotes, rather than single quotes.

MUSHclient detects in "send to script" that quotes inside wildcards need to be escaped, however it only does it to double quotes, not single quotes.

Thus, change it to:

SetVariable('location',"%1")

That will work for any sort of quotes (single quotes won't matter, and double quotes will be escaped).

Another approach is to use Lua long strings, like this:

SetVariable('location',[=[%1]=])

They allow for any sort of quotes inside them, even if MUSHclient didn't escape them.

You might make it easier for yourself if you stuck to Lua variables - if these are simply temporary variables used in a single session (and not needed to be remembered for tomorrow), then using MUSHclient variables just makes it unwieldy.

So it might read:

location = "%1"

Send('reply ' .. location)
  reporting = "off"
end

And if you don't use location anywhere else, make it simpler again:

Send("reply %1")
  reporting = "off"
end

And better still, use booleans rather than strings for flags:

if reporting  then
  Send ("reply %1")
  reporting = false
end

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Tue 11 Nov 2008 08:38 PM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

18,639 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]