[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Compiling the server
. . -> [Subject]  Some Cygwin problems- no "make" command and a missing commands.dat?

Some Cygwin problems- no "make" command and a missing commands.dat?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Anaxilea   (1 post)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 25 Nov 2008 09:58 PM (UTC)
As a long-time Imm, I'm familiar with building and basic C++, but this is my first attempt to create my own MUD using SMAUG. I'm attempting to compile it using Cygwin, but it doesn't allow me to use the "make" command, and I've been unsuccessful in all attempts to look up a place to download a possible missing file for it.

After a while, I just gave up on it and downloaded the exe that supposedly makes 1.04a work without a linux-style compiler, but when I try to run this through the command prompt, I get the following error.
---
C:\Users\Jordan>C:\cygwin\smaug1.02a\dist\src\SMAUG
Tue Nov 25 14:50:05 2008 :: Booting Database
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Tue Nov 25 14:50:05 2008 :: [*****] BOOT: ---------------------[ Boot Log ]-----
---------------
Tue Nov 25 14:50:05 2008 :: Loading commands
Tue Nov 25 14:50:05 2008 :: [*****] BUG: Cannot open commands.dat
---
After a little research, I found that I've got commands.dat in the right file, and nothing seems to be wrong with it.

I'm sure it's just an idiot newbie mistake I'm making, but any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
Anaxilea
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Wed 26 Nov 2008 04:35 AM (UTC)
You need to be in the correct directory - if simply running the smaug.exe file, you need to be in the area directory.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Wed 26 Nov 2008 03:13 PM (UTC)
Also, to run 'make', you need to have the program installed (see the Cygwin install program, look for "make").

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

10,495 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]