[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Middle Mouse Button Scroll on 4.42

Middle Mouse Button Scroll on 4.42

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Artel   USA  (65 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 06 Aug 2009 12:07 AM (UTC)
In previous versions, including versions 4.40 and 4.41, one could click the output window and use the middle mouse button to scroll up or down. In 4.42, this no longer works.

I sorely miss this feature. I don't think it was intended to be removed.

Note that you can still click on the scrollbar and then use the middle mouse button scroll, or click on the output window and use page up and page down, but it's specifically clicking on the output window and using the middle mouse button scroll that is now missing.

Artel.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Thu 06 Aug 2009 12:22 AM (UTC)
Seems to work for me. In fact you don't have to click first, the focus can be in the command window.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Twisol   USA  (2,257 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Thu 06 Aug 2009 12:22 AM (UTC)
It works just fine for me... that's bizarre!

'Soludra' on Achaea

Blog: http://jonathan.com/
GitHub: http://github.com/Twisol
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Thu 06 Aug 2009 02:47 AM (UTC)
I've narrowed down the problem. If I have "Copy selection to Clipboard" checked in the world properties, then the problem exists only in 4.42.

Artel.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Thu 06 Aug 2009 02:53 AM (UTC)
I checked "Copy selection to Clipboard" and it still works fine.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Thu 06 Aug 2009 03:21 AM (UTC)
Okay, now this is getting weird. I use a laptop, and I have a touchpad with a vertical scrollbar, and a Logitech wireless USB mouse. When the "Copy selection to Clipboard" box is checked, I can still scroll with the touchpad scrollbar, but not the Logitech mouse. In fact, the touchpad scrollbar always works perfectly on all settings AFAIK.

The Logitech middle mouse scroll button appears to be acting consistent-- that is, the scroll never works on the output window when I check the checkbox, and it always works when I uncheck it. This suggests that the problem isn't with my mouse, but MUSHclient.

I have not noticed any problems or differences in other applications with my Logitech mouse.

This bug must sound really strange and uncommon by now, and I totally understand if there are more important things to work on.

Artel.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Thu 06 Aug 2009 05:28 AM (UTC)
A Google for "logitech mouse driver scroll wheel" returns quite a few pages, with various people complaining about the mouse wheel not working for certain applications.

My first approach would be to download the latest mouse driver, although some of the pages report the latest driver doesn't work, but earlier ones do.

There were also some reports that some operating systems (eg, Windows 98) not having built-in support for the mouse wheel, and the drivers simulate the wheel by generating scroll bar movements.

Now if it works for you, except when auto-copying to clipboard, this might be the case for you. Once you auto-copy to clipboard, the focus moves to the command window, which means the mouse wheel would move the wrong scroll bars.

Basically, if MUSHclient isn't scrolling, it is because it isn't getting the Windows messages, which is really a driver issue.

I suggest trying to upgrade the driver, or simply turning off the auto copy-to-clipboard, and hitting Ctrl+C if you happen to need the selection copied.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Thu 06 Aug 2009 03:08 PM (UTC)
Downloading and updating the mouse drivers makes it work. Thanks!

For anyone curious, it was a Logitech V450 laser cordless mouse on Vista.

Artel.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

17,557 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]