[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Gammon Forum

See www.mushclient.com/spam for dealing with forum spam. Please read the MUSHclient FAQ!

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUDs
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Cant connect to a mud
Home  |  Users  |  Search  |  FAQ
Username:
Register forum user name
Password:
Forgotten password?

Cant connect to a mud

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.   [New subject]  Start a new subject   [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by MasterJay   (23 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 19 Nov 2003 12:34 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
I cant connect to my friends mud. Yet, he and a few of my other friends can. When I try to connect I get a Connection Refused message. Any help? (by the way, both of our computers are using routers and he is using his IP as the mud address)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (607 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Wed 19 Nov 2003 01:49 AM (UTC)  quote  ]

Amended on Wed 19 Nov 2003 02:02 AM (UTC) by Meerclar

What is the IP address of your friends mud? Are you behind a firewall? Is he behind a firewall? Are the other people that can connect on the same network? Does he have DNS available if he's trying to avoid using the IP address to connect?

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (19,673 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Wed 19 Nov 2003 04:25 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
Search this forum, there are quite a few posts about that. Probably you are behind a firewall. Are you calling from a school or something similar? They might be trying to stop people playing online games.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Wed 19 Nov 2003 07:12 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
192.168.1.100 is the address for my friends mud

yes I am behind a firewall but i have it disabled on my end

His brother is on the same network, and is the main computer. My other friends can connect to the mud and they arent networked to him at all.

As for DNS, I dont know

Could the problem be with my router's settings? (I use a D-link ) and also how would i find which port(s) could be used to connect to muds.

I am able to connect to a bunch of other muds, but they are on servers.
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio   Moderator
Date Reply #4 on Wed 19 Nov 2003 07:17 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
192.168.1.100 is a local address, and to connect to that you must be on the same local network as the computer.

If your friends are connecting to it without being on the same network, then either they actually are on the same local subnet somehow or are using a different IP address.

Having a firewall on your end is meaningless (unless it blocks outgoing as well, but that's unusual); what matters is the firewall on the destination (host) computer which may or may not be blocking connections from certain addresses.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Wed 19 Nov 2003 07:48 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
so the problem is on his brother's computer?

any clue how to go about fixing that? (He uses Windows ME, I'm not familar with ME as i use XP)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Wed 19 Nov 2003 08:07 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
No, the problem is that you're connecting to a local address that does not exist on your local network.

You need your friend's real IP address - not local address. If he's behind a router or firewall, you need to have that router/firewall set up to accept connections from the outside on port xxxx and forward to your friend's computer (the host.)

His brother's computer has no problem at all... yours is the one with a problem since you can't connect. :-) Actually, the problem is that you need his IP address, and he needs to be able to accept connections from the outside.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Wed 19 Nov 2003 11:09 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
I'm sorry, I'm a bit confused about what you are saying.
Is it my router or his that needs to be changed? So, the other players on the mud (I assume) might not have a router so they can connect right to that address. Because i know that the other players can connect using that address given
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Wed 19 Nov 2003 11:16 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
If they truly are able to connect to a local address - using that exact same number you gave - then they are on the same sub-network as your friend. That doesn't necessarily mean in the same house, it depends entirely on the setup.

Your router most likely doesn't need to be changed, but your friend may need to open up a firewall or something.

Could you tell us how the networks are set up? How do your friends connect to the friend's MUD, what kind of network your friend and his brother share, etc.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Wed 19 Nov 2003 11:32 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
Well,I have cable my network is that my pc is connected to the host computer via the router. The firewall to my pc is off, but the one on the host is on.

My friend uses DSL and has the same set up as me.
My friends have been using Mushclient to connect to his mud
via the ip i gave and the port, 4000
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Wed 19 Nov 2003 11:39 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
You connect through what router to what host computer?

Do you mean that you connect through a cable modem to your ISP, and from there you are on the Internet, and from there you connect to the host computer?

If you are going through the Internet, then that IP address just won't work because it's local. You need to find his Internet IP address. And if he's behind his own router/firewall, he has to open that up. Presumably he's already done that, or your other friends wouldn't be able to connect. However, your other friends are probably using a different IP address, or are behind the same router.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Thu 20 Nov 2003 12:03 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
mine goes to the host pc that goes to the internet.

and how would he go about going finding his internet ip, would that be on the host computer?

and say if that ip was different then the one my friends use (they use the one i gave before) i would still be able to connect to the same mud right?

Sorry, i dont know much about ip's and routers
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Thu 20 Nov 2003 12:09 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
You connect to what host PC where? Please be extremely specific. If need be just pick up the cables and tell me where they go.

There are a few ways for your friend to get his IP, but they're not easy to explain... if your friend is setting all this up, he should know how to do that kind of thing.

If the IP is the correct one, then yes, you should be able to connect.

The problem is that there are so many factors here that it's hard to keep track of them all... especially since it seems that you guys are getting in beyond your level of knowledge. Never a good thing :-)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (19,673 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #13 on Fri 21 Nov 2003 04:16 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
Since you are quoting a private address you are probably behind a NAT (Network Address Translation) router. You need to know the actual IP address on the Internet, not what it is translated to when it reaches your PC (or his PC, whichever way around it is).

Try asking someone, whoever set up the network account, or the router, might know. However there is probably another problem to be solved - if the server is behind such a router you will need to enable "port forwarding" to forward requests to the MUD to the PC in question.

There are other posts about that, try searching this forum for "nat router port forwarding".

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

3,771 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.   [New subject]  Start a new subject   [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( http://www.gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Web site powered by FutureQuest.Net]