[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Gammon Software Solutions forum

See www.mushclient.com/spam for dealing with forum spam. Please read the MUSHclient FAQ!

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  Question on global_retcode
Home  |  Users  |  Search  |  FAQ
Username:
Register forum user name
Password:
Forgotten password?

Question on global_retcode

[Reply to this subject]  Reply to this subject   [New subject]  Start a new subject   [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Toy   (206 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 07 Feb 2004 01:04 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
I was messing around, attempting to get do_tail to work. GOt it in, fixed all problems, the command works fine now... here's the thing: whenever someone uses the "tail" attack, the battle message always shows as "brushes". What I'm looking to do is set it up that as you level higher, your attack will increase. I think I found there it computes the battle damage in this line:

global_retcode = damage( ch, victim, number_range( 1, ch->level ), gsn_tail );

Can someone help me to change this so it works more the way I want it to?

-Toy

It's always good to know how far you are willing to go to be the best...

Karl Mancine
aka
Toy the Dark Puppet
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (586 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sat 07 Feb 2004 03:44 AM (UTC)  quote  ]

Amended on Sat 07 Feb 2004 03:50 AM (UTC) by Meerclar

global_retcode = damage( ch, victim, number_range( 1, ch->level ), gsn_tail );

to something like

global_retcode = damage( ch, victim, dice( 3, ch->level ), gsn_tail );

The more/larger dice you use the better the damage gets for tail attacks but remember this could do some nasty things to mob balance if you aren't careful. The existing code simply takes a random number between 1 and the level of the character using the tail attack. At higher levels better damage is possible but still quite weak even if maximum damage is scored. Changing to a diced damage formula will give you a higher average damage, higher minimum damages and much higher maximum damages at higher levels. If you wanted to tie in the skill level for damage it should be fairly easy.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Toy   (206 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Sat 07 Feb 2004 08:14 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
Well, I changed the number_range to dice and recomplied attempting to try it out. The damage ain't too great, but for a side attack for a mob, it'll work. Couldn't figure out why the damage was weak when I tried it out, then I realized Puff the Fractal Dragon is a tough mob. ;p Once I tried a weaker one, my tail damage starting maiming and devistating.. right where I want it. :)

Thanks for the help one that one Meerclar.

-Toy

It's always good to know how far you are willing to go to be the best...

Karl Mancine
aka
Toy the Dark Puppet
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

2,577 views.

[Reply to this subject]  Reply to this subject   [New subject]  Start a new subject   [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( http://www.gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Web site powered by FutureQuest.Net]