[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Gammon Software Solutions forum

See www.mushclient.com/spam for dealing with forum spam. Please read the MUSHclient FAQ!

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  Update!
Home  |  Users  |  Search  |  FAQ
Username:
Register forum user name
Password:
Forgotten password?

Update!

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.   [New subject]  Start a new subject   [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Jferguson620   (6 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 17 Nov 2006 02:43 PM (UTC)  quote  ]

So I got smaugfuss 1.6 working, for some reason, smaugfuss 1.7 just doesn't like me. Oh well. =D

Anyways.

Do any of you know a good forum where alot of smaugfuss 1.6 issues are talked about?

Also I've made a newbie school in smaug 1.4a, and have it converted over to smaugfuss 1.6, where do I find the file/command/code or whatever to make it so when new players create, they automaticly pop into my newbie school at the vnum of my choice.

Thanks in advance.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio   Moderator
Date Reply #1 on Fri 17 Nov 2006 03:01 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
What kind of issues? SmaugFUSS is obviously discussed on the official webpage.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Jferguson620   (6 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Fri 17 Nov 2006 03:28 PM (UTC)  quote  ]

Amended on Tue 11 Mar 2008 03:29 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

And by offical webpage you mean smaugfuss.org righto?

If so, I only saw smaugfuss 1.7 forums, I will check again, or will smaugfuss 1.7 suite most of the 1.6 stuff anyways? Little cautious these days, I know, if one number, one letter is off, my shit goes boom. :P

And issues as in, trouble shooting I can research, snippet adding, stuff like we have here, so I can keep learning more. =P

[EDIT - 11 March 2008] - The Smaug FUSS site is now http://www.smaugmuds.org/
[Go to top] top

Posted by Tzaro   USA  (41 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Fri 17 Nov 2006 05:07 PM (UTC)  quote  ]

Amended on Fri 17 Nov 2006 10:01 PM (UTC) by Tzaro

There really aren't a lot of issues in SmaugFUSS... some, but not many. If you happen to find one, you can probably find a solution to your problem by searching this forum. Also, www.fussproject.org may be a good choice. Browse around there and look for stuffs. If you can't find an answer to your question, most people here are more than willing to help you with your problem.

If you're looking for snippets to add, check out www.mudbytes.net. There are tons of them you can download and have fun with.

I'm assuming you want all new players created to go to this 'newbie school' area when they first enter the game. You can do that one of two ways. I suggest the first, but either will work:

In the file, mud.h, look for:
#define ROOM_AUTH_START               100

Change the '100' to the vnum of the room you want them to first start in.

ALTERNATIVELY,
in comm.c, look for:
   char_to_room( ch, get_room_index( ROOM_AUTH_START ) );

Change ROOM_AUTH_START to the vnum you want. ie) if the new starting room's vnum is 24300, it should look like:
   char_to_room( ch, get_room_index( 24300 ) );

I suggest doing the first. I showed the second to help you understand a little of how the MUD works and to get you on your way :).
Best to you, wish you lots of luck!

Implementer of Lost Prophecy,
Tzaro
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio   Moderator
Date Reply #4 on Fri 17 Nov 2006 08:43 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
No no no, don't change it in the c file, change the #define. The whole point of the #define is to keep things nicely centralized, remove magic numbers from the code, and so forth. If you want to change a constant, then change the constant, don't use something other than the constant in place of the constant. :-)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio   Moderator
Date Reply #5 on Fri 17 Nov 2006 09:34 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
If you're looking for sites on helping with adding snippets, MudBytes or right here is a great place. :)

And I suggest to use the latest FUSS version.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Conner   USA  (381 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Fri 17 Nov 2006 09:45 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
Jferguson620, to answer your question about SmaugFUSS 1.6 vs SmaugFUSS 1.7 being discussed at www.fussproject.org, the current version is 1.7 so most discussions are about that, but honestly, many of us started with 1.6 (or even earlier, like I did) and not all of us have thrown the dlsym, converted from md5 to sha256, added mccp, and converted to mudstrl/mudstrlcat yet. Of those, so far I've only done the mccp, that's why my code is considered a derivative of SmaugFUSS 1.6 rather than 1.7 at this point, and I'm still quite active on that forums because everything else still pertains to me. (It's those four changes that define 1.7 rather than 1.6.. actually, I think the conversion from \n\r to \r\n may have been part of that definition too, but it'd be plain foolish to not do that simple global code find/replace, even if, like me, you're not determined to qualify as SmaugFUSS 1.7.)

So, in short, yes, the discussions there still do have evrything to do with version 1.6 as well. It just means you've got a few more fixes to catch up on. :)

-=Conner=-
--
Come test your mettle in the Land of Legends at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org:4000
or, for a little family oriented medieval fun, come join us at The Castle's Dungeon BBS at telnet://tcdbbs.zapto.org
or, if you just want information about either, check our web page at http://tcdbbs.zapto.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Samson   USA  (683 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Sat 18 Nov 2006 11:56 PM (UTC)  quote  ]
As others have said, there's no huge difference between 1.6 an 1.7. It's not like Microsloth software where one minor version number means you've done 8 years worth of feature piling-on and bugfixing. Conner basically nailed it. 1.7 was mainly about dlsym, sha256, and other non-essential changes. The fundamental base code is still pretty much the same, and the bugfix posts will still apply.

SmaugMuds.org: http://www.smaugmuds.org - The Smaug MUDs Community Center

"The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth." -- George Orwell, 1984
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

2,942 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.   [New subject]  Start a new subject   [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( http://www.gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Web site powered by FutureQuest.Net]