[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Gammon Software Solutions forum

See www.mushclient.com/spam for dealing with forum spam. Please read the MUSHclient FAQ!

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  Adding leveling system on smaug 1.8
Home  |  Users  |  Search  |  FAQ
Username:
Register forum user name
Password:
Forgotten password?

Adding leveling system on smaug 1.8

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.   [New subject]  Start a new subject   [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Phobos   (79 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 26 Oct 2007 03:28 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
Now heres a hard one that i have posted something similar to before and realize i did not have the knowledge to do before and am still unsure if i have the knowledge so i seek somebody to help me with this either by posting here with a thread to show me how or to use skyfex or something to use remote assistance to show me via the internet.

I am running smaug1.8 and i want to change the leveling so i can add a couple more classes similar to how an swr is set up, Before i set 1.8 up i tried to compile and swr and was having trouble so i have striped this smaug down rather bare and want to change the coding before i put it on a server otherwise ill have to pwipe everyone shortly after i server. So if anyone can help please reply with either a thread or my e-mail is d.k.parker@att.net if you would be willing to walk me through it contact me personely thank you
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio   Moderator
Date Reply #1 on Fri 26 Oct 2007 04:53 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
This would just be basic programming. Each level would need a new variable stored in the pfile, then follow how leveling is done.

http://www.cprogramming.com/

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Phobos   (79 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Fri 26 Oct 2007 05:40 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
Theres many things on this page what would i referance to see the example of level to code stuff? Ive read much of this site before as it is in my favorites and has been helpfull but is not as specific as id like when trying to find something such as level code so what link should i look at?
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio   Moderator
Date Reply #3 on Fri 26 Oct 2007 09:00 AM (UTC)  quote  ]
No C programming guide will tell you how to do exactly what you want to do for SMAUG. You will not find a guide that tells you how to change an arbitrary SMAUG feature. That's kind of like reading a book to teach you a foreign language, and to expect it to tell you how to write every sentence you want to say. Rather, you have to learn the concepts and the language independently, and then use those tools to say what you want to say.

The point is that if you cannot express what you want to do exactly in English, there is no way you will be able to get the program to do it. You need to understand the basic concepts before you can build bigger blocks with them. Start simple, then move on.

For instance, Zeno said that you would need to have a new variable in the character that would be stored in the pfile. You need to understand what that means: what it means to add a member variable to a structure, what a structure is in the first place, where that structure information gets saved, and so forth.

So the C programming guide is worth your time to read even if it doesn't solve your immediate problem, because it will teach you how to solve many more problems in the long term. You just need to take it slow. :-)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

2,061 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.   [New subject]  Start a new subject   [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( http://www.gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Web site powered by FutureQuest.Net]