[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Chat closing problem

Chat closing problem

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by RichKK   (33 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 09 Sep 2008 08:16 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 09 Sep 2008 08:19 PM (UTC) by RichKK

I have a long running problem with the chat plugin. The other person and myself will stop receiving messages from each other. The only indication something went wrong is we might get a "Chat session to Friend closed" message. However if we get the message, it's not until some time after we stopped receiving each others messages. I end up frequently holding one sided conversations with myself.

This problem seems to occur most often when we're only sending messages intermittently. When there's a frequent flow of data (such as snooping the mud) this chat closing problem tends to occur far less frequently or not at all.

Any ideas on this or solutions would be appreciated.
[Go to top] top

Posted by WillFa   USA  (525 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 09 Sep 2008 08:25 PM (UTC)
Sounds like your router's closing the socket after timing out. The most reliable way to fix it is to go in to the webpage on it, and set up port forwarding so that if the connection does time out, your friend's next message will reopen the socket.

The steps to do this differ on each model of router, but the place to start is opening a command prompt (start/run.../cmd) and typing ipconfig. make note of your default gateway and go to that ipaddress in a web browser. Linksys and Belkin routers have online help that you can search for 'port forwarding'. If given the choice between port forwarding and DMZ mode, DO NOT pick DMZ for your computer since that basically negates any protection the router's firewall gives you.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Tue 09 Sep 2008 10:10 PM (UTC)
Yep, my router did this to me. To test this...

Use telnet, sign on a MUD and do not receive or send any data for like 15min. If the connection drops after a while (not caused by the MUD), it's the router.

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Wed 10 Sep 2008 03:41 AM (UTC)
Do you do a #chatall - or a #chat <who> <message>?

If you do a #chatall, and don't notice the message about the dropped connection, then it is probably happily sending your chats to the reduced number of people in the chat group.

I think if you chat to a specific person, it should tell you if they are not connected.

Unfortunately, for you to get a "chat session closed" message, the client needs to be actively notified that the connection is dropped. However if a router silently discards a connection, this may not happen.

As an analogy, imagine if you were talking to someone on the phone, and they quietly put the phone down and walked away. You wouldn't realize they weren't there until you noticed they weren't replying to you.

The nature of TCP/IP is that if a packet is lost, it retries sending it, and thus it is possible for one end to not be sure if the other end is there, or not, for a minute or so.

What you might be able to do to help here is use a custom message number, in a script, to keep testing if the connection is still open. See near the bottom of this page:

http://www.gammon.com.au/mushclient/chat.htm

For example, each end could send each other a custom message every 5 seconds or so. Now if they don't *receive* a message after 10 seconds, they might assume the connection has been dropped.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Wed 10 Sep 2008 04:56 AM (UTC)
Also doing the above will keep the socket alive, so it doesn't time out.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,982 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Wed 10 Sep 2008 06:17 AM (UTC)
Yes, checking for the problem will cure it, eh? In that case you can set up the timer to send the custom messages, and not bother testing to see if they arrive. :-)

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Wed 10 Sep 2008 10:01 AM (UTC)
Thank you gentlemen. This is so odd, I'm already using port forwarding for the dedicated chat port. Without an open port my friends have their connection attempt refused and are unable to connect to my chat. Even though their calling me perhaps it's not my router but theirs?

I'm not using #chatall either, using #chat user msg. And you're right, I receive the chat closed message often after attempting to send a message but previous messages still went missed.

Using a script routine to keep the chat alive would be perfect. Would any routine in particular not create visible output spam?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Wed 10 Sep 2008 07:09 PM (UTC)
That's also possible, Rich. If the socket times out and closes on their NAT, your machine has no way to re-establish the connection unless they have port forwarding defined as well.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Wed 10 Sep 2008 11:28 PM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

24,083 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]