[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Compiling the server
. . -> [Subject]  compiling Smaugfuss 1.9 with Visual c++ 6.0

compiling Smaugfuss 1.9 with Visual c++ 6.0

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Antram   (8 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 13 Mar 2010 06:37 AM (UTC)

I'm a new user, and a new mudder. I'd like to ask you some questions.

I downloaded the source of Smaugfuss 1.9, and the executable for windows, but when I've tryed to compile it, it makes me a lot of problems, and I can't to compile it.

I'm using windows XP and visual c++ 6.0. I know that it would be better if I work under Linux or something like this, but I'm really sorry, I can't. I'm a blind person, and I can't use this, at list.

Could you help me? could you tell me some way to compile smaugfuss 1.9 with visual c++ 6.0? Please, if can be posible, step by step.

sorry for my english, I'm trying to learn it, but I'm not speak it well yet.

Antram
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sat 13 Mar 2010 07:24 AM (UTC)
It's almost impossible to help unless you specify what the problems are. Error messages? If so, what are those messages?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sun 14 Mar 2010 12:27 PM (UTC)

I tryed to compile smaugfuss 1.9 with visual c++ 6.0 again, but it makes me this lot of errors:

--------------------Configuration: Smaugfuss19 - Win32 Debug--------------------
Compiling...
act_comm.c
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\mud.h(157) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'SPEC_FUN'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\mud.h(157) : error C2059: syntax error : ';'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\mud.h(157) : error C2059: syntax error : 'type'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\mud.h(236) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'mud_down'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\mud.h(236) : error C2059: syntax error : ';'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\mud.h(269) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'DONT_UPPER'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\mud.h(269) : error C2059: syntax error : ';'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\color.h(39) : error C2059: syntax error : 'string'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\dns.h(39) : error C2059: syntax error : 'string'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\hotboot.h(40) : error C2059: syntax error : 'string'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\calendar.h(58) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'winter_freeze'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\calendar.h(58) : error C2059: syntax error : ';'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\calendar.h(74) : error C2061: syntax error : identifier 'load_timedata'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\calendar.h(74) : error C2059: syntax error : ';'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\calendar.h(74) : error C2059: syntax error : 'type'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\calendar.h(80) : error C2059: syntax error : 'string'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\calendar.h(81) : error C2059: syntax error : 'string'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\calendar.h(82) : error C2059: syntax error : 'string'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\calendar.h(83) : error C2059: syntax error : 'string'
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\weather.h(66) : error C2057: expected constant expression
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\weather.h(66) : error C2466: cannot allocate an array of constant size 0
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\weather.h(66) : error C2057: expected constant expression
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\weather.h(66) : error C2466: cannot allocate an array of constant size 0
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\weather.h(66) : error C2087: '<Unknown>' : missing subscript
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\weather.h(67) : error C2057: expected constant expression
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\weather.h(67) : error C2466: cannot allocate an array of constant size 0
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\weather.h(67) : error C2057: expected constant expression
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\weather.h(67) : error C2466: cannot allocate an array of constant size 0
c:\documents and settings\master\mis documentos\mi música\smaugfuss\src\weather.h(67) : error C2087: '<Unknown>' : missing subscript

It continues until I have...

Smaugfuss19.exe - 3790 error(s), 1 warning(s)

I think that I need something that I don't have now. could someone to send me a version of smaugfuss 1.9 wich I can compile? I know that is a bit dificult, but there are too many errors, I think.

Thanks for all.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Sun 14 Mar 2010 09:12 PM (UTC)
Did you try asking on the SmaugFUSS forum?

http://www.smaugmuds.org/

It looks like a problem with Visual C++ and the mud.h file. Until you sort that out you are likely to get many errors.

Why compile in the first place if you have the executable? Why not just run it?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sun 14 Mar 2010 10:14 PM (UTC)

thanks Nick, I'll try to ask there.

I'm trying to compile the source because I would like to traduce it to spanish, because I'm from Spain. Then I have installed Cygwin on my pc, but it doesn't work well. when I do the steps in this page to compile using Cygwin, it makes me an error wehn I try to do a "make". It tells me... "Comand not found".

I installed cygwin step by step like you put in "How to install cygwin". My brother did it for me because I can't click with the mouse in a part of the installation. why can I use make? How can I fix it?

thanks for all again.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Mon 15 Mar 2010 12:02 AM (UTC)
You need to get the development part of Cygwin, it isn't there by default. Such as "make", "gcc" and so on.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Mon 15 Mar 2010 12:20 AM (UTC)

I download cygwin again, and I have "make" utility now. I thought that I could compile smaugfuss without problems, but it isn't happend.

this time when I execute "make", tells me:

$ make
make -s smaug
Compiling o/imc.o....
make[1]: g++: Command not found
make[1]: *** [o/imc.o] Error 127
make: *** [all] Error 2

I'm really confused. What is happening now? Thanks for help me.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Mon 15 Mar 2010 12:45 AM (UTC)
OK you have "make", now you need "g++". That is a different program. I mentioned in my earlier post you would need "gcc". That is effectively the same program (as g++).

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Mon 15 Mar 2010 01:25 PM (UTC)

Nick, I'm sorry but I can't use gcc or g++. I tryed to reinstall cygwin, donwloading all the pacages in "Debel", but when I download them, and the program installs them, including gcc and wathever, I saw that, when i tryed to compile, typing "make", it tells me the same as I write in my last post.

What can I do? Is there any way to install the pacages from cygwin? What are the pacages exactly that I have to download?

Thanks a lot.
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Mon 15 Mar 2010 06:03 PM (UTC)
"where make"
and see what you get.

The package you need is called either 'make' or 'gnumake' or something like that. Note that you don't need to redownload all of Cygwin: if you run the setup program pointed to your current directory, it should detect the packages you already have.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

26,292 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]