[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  MUSHclient app for Droid & iphone?

MUSHclient app for Droid & iphone?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Shady Stranger   USA  (45 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 03 May 2010 12:40 AM (UTC)

Have you thought about making a MUSHclient app? I would gladly pay for it considering there is absolutely nothing worthwhile out there that I have found. Just thinking of how cool it would be to be able to play my game and have all my scripts and triggers with me.

Anyways, that's my suggestion...

JC
[Go to top] top

Posted by Larkin   (278 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Mon 03 May 2010 08:12 PM (UTC)

(I'd love to see someone even TRY to play any MUD from their cell phone. It's not so much a matter of power or bandwidth as it is just trying to type on the darned things...)
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Mon 03 May 2010 08:28 PM (UTC)
Well, more pragmatically, the problem is that such an app would require a very considerable rewrite of MUSHclient, which uses MFC. So it's pretty unlikely that such a thing would happen.

(This is separate from the issue of whether or not it'd be easy to play a MUD on a phone; I know people who do, but eh.)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Mon 03 May 2010 08:34 PM (UTC)
It would be cool, but unfortunately because of the way it was written originally (which uses Microsoft's libraries) it would be a total rewrite. I don't know if I have the energy for that.

And then to address the small screen on a mobile device like an iPhone you probably need a more specialized game with mainly hitting icons than typing a lot of text.

Some games certainly work very well on the iPhone (Plants Vs Zombies springs to mind), but I'm not so sure a MUD game would have such appeal.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Rakon   USA  (123 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Fri 07 May 2010 02:56 AM (UTC)
Not that it's MUCH consolation, but, if you are able to root your droid, you'd be able to use TinTin++ for a client.

I've done so, and had ..limited success with doing such on Android 1.2 or whatnot.

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd257/penquincoder/g1-tintin2.png

Though, this was on the G-1, and a while ago... The hard keyboard made it much better for typing, than any soft board.

Yes, I am a criminal.
My crime is that of curiosity.
My crime is that of judging people by what they say and think, not what they look like.
My crime is that of outsmarting you, something that you will never forgive me for.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Carrie   USA  (10 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Mon 25 Jul 2011 07:37 AM (UTC)
Aww... if you could find some help in doing it, it would be awesome. The current clients for Android (Blowtorch is the best) don't support multi-mushing well, or at all. :p

If I could be using mushclient, I'd be in heaven. At least unless it kills the phone like Firefox did on my X2. :p
[Go to top] top

Posted by Kaleden   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Thu 28 Jul 2011 06:34 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 28 Jul 2011 06:35 PM (UTC) by Kaleden

On the topic of multimushing, I think BlowTorch has been hesitant to include such features because of the potential for abuse by players. I could see legitimate reasons for administrators, who want to keep their player and administrator hats separate, or players who play several MUDs and like to keep tabs on all of them, but are there other reasons?

That said, the BlowTorch market app and BlowTorch Test app can run in parallel, allowing for multimushing from your Android phone...
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

24,572 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]