[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Lua
. . -> [Subject]  Getting started with lua

Getting started with lua

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Zalib   (6 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 03 Feb 2011 04:37 AM (UTC)
OK so I'm looking to get into scripting and lua was the recommended language. I took a look around the site with getting started and I guess all I have to learn is the Lua language however I feel it'll take a while for me to do such even though I'm told it's easy to learn. My main project that I want to work on is writing a questing script that automates questing within my mud while I work on something else while having a manual "maintenance" per say as in if an imm asks if i'm a bot. I'm not looking to leave this script running for over night while I sleep or something. I just want to be able to get some work done while I do something as mundane as questing. Anyways i'm not really sure if I should just dive right in and try to figure it out by looking at Lua references or learning the language and then try it. I'm currently learning C++ and Java and I think learning a third language would just confuse my brain. So please any advice on how I should get started would be helpful. I want to be able to do much more than just simple questing eventually but this is just my main goal right now.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Thu 03 Feb 2011 10:00 AM (UTC)
I'm not sure I want to encourage bots, but it is always useful to learn more about Lua. Try searching this forum for "autohunt" - that has similar sorts of things.

If I may suggest, start off with something a bit simpler to get the hang of scripting. You need to experiment with detecting events (with triggers), reacting (with a script), checking the reaction worked, etc.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Zalib   (6 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Thu 03 Feb 2011 02:54 PM (UTC)
I don't really want a bot as it was never my goal to just let the script run and me just leave the room for a couple of hours. Anyways are there any suggestions you would have as to starting out small? Some specific situations I could try and solve with scripting.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

9,966 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]