[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Router Blocking Port

Router Blocking Port

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by WhiteNyte   (10 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 11 Dec 2014 06:37 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 11 Dec 2014 06:42 PM (UTC) by WhiteNyte

Not sure if this has been answered yet or not. I've looked through the forums and couldn't find my exact problem...

When I connect with MUSHclient to the MUSH that I play (TrekMUSH - Among The Stars at ats.trekmush.org port 1701 [108.192.136.101:1701]) from a network/connection other than my home network, it will connect fine.

When I try to connect from my home network (Laptop<->Linksys WRT54GC Router<->Time Warner Cable<->Internet, I get the following return...

Unable to connect to "TrekMUSH - Among The Stars", code = 10060 (Connection timed out)

Error occurred during phase: Connecting to world: 108.192.136.101, port 1701

I've already gone through and checked the forum post that is posted after that (http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=8369) but I have not been able to resolve this.

I did try going in and putting in a port forward in my router's internal settings with the following information:

Application Name___Start Port~End Port___Protocol______IP Address____Enabled
MUSH____________1701____~1701_____X TCP X UDP__192.168.1.100___X

This made no difference and I still can not connect through my home network...

Would you have any other ideas?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #1 on Thu 11 Dec 2014 07:24 PM (UTC)
I did try going in and putting in a port forward in my router's internal settings

Why? Port forwarding is for incoming requests, not outgoing ones.

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Thu 11 Dec 2014 07:28 PM (UTC)
Yeah, I knew that... I just wanted to eliminate the possibility that the communication from the server wasn't making it back...
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Thu 11 Dec 2014 07:29 PM (UTC)
Try running tracert to see where the connection is failing. ( You can read http://support.microsoft.com/KB/314868 for info )

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Thu 11 Dec 2014 08:26 PM (UTC)
Maybe you inadvertently blocked that port / app in Windows. Try another MUD (different port) and another PC / laptop if possible.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Fri 12 Dec 2014 03:28 PM (UTC)
I was able to successfully connect on this laptop, on my home network to Realms Of Despair (216.251.47.10 : 4000).

I was not, however successful in connecting to TrekMUSH - ATS (108.192.136.101 : 1701) on my other laptop on my home network.

This is why i think it is my router blocking port 1701 (or a range of ports including that one). I'm not finding any settings in the router which block that port, however.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Fri 12 Dec 2014 04:16 PM (UTC)
Run tracert. Stop guessing about where the packets get dropped. :|

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Fri 12 Dec 2014 04:46 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 12 Dec 2014 04:47 PM (UTC) by WhiteNyte

The packet never makes it passed my router, which I already knew. I have already narrowed it down to the fact that my router is somehow blocking port 1701. I came to this conclusion though the following tests:

I can connect to ATS.trekmush.org:1701 under the following conditions:
My primary laptop on another network,
My secondary laptop on another network,
My primary laptop connected directly to my cable modem,
My secondary laptop connected directly to my cable modem.

I can connect to realmsofdespair.com:4000 under the following conditions:
My primary laptop on another network,
My secondary laptop on another network,
My primary laptop connected directly to my cable modem,
My secondary laptop connected directly to my cable modem.
My primary laptop connected to my router,
My secondary laptop connected to my router.

I can NOT connect to ATS.trekmush.org:1701 under the following conditions:
My primary laptop connected to my router,
My secondary laptop connected to my router.

I did computer/network repair for 5 years... I know how to troubleshoot and am not guessing at anything.

I have been through all of the settings in the internal settings pages of my router and am not finding any setting that would explain or show that the router is blocking port 1701 or a range of ports including port 1701.

Has anyone had any experience where a port was being blocked by a router without the settings expressly instructing it to do so?

Does anyone know how I can expressly tell my WRT54GC router to allow communications on port 1701 to pass through?

Sorry if I seem to have an attitude, but don't accuse me of something when you don't know...
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Fri 12 Dec 2014 05:01 PM (UTC)
Fiendish wasn't accusing you of anything, you didn't give us any information to indicate you'd already done any testing via tracert. That said, I've got the same model router and if I remember correctly, 1701 is a reserved for layer 2 tunneling protocol. Honestly, whomever is running TrekMUSH made a very poor choice on what port to run on.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Fri 12 Dec 2014 07:46 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 12 Dec 2014 07:52 PM (UTC) by Fiendish

The packet never makes it passed my router, which I already knew.
The information presented before was not indicative of a router problem in the absence of the record of you physically bypassing the router.

Anyway, try:
security, vpn passthrough, l2tp passthrough

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Sat 13 Dec 2014 02:40 AM (UTC)
Thank you for the information, I went to Security -> VPN Passthrough and found L2TP Passthrough already enabled. Just out of curiosity, I did try it both enabled and disabled with no change in connectivity. Any other ideas?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Sat 13 Dec 2014 05:17 AM (UTC)
Wait, you said tracert shows the packet dying at your router? Given that tracert doesn't take a port assignment, it's not a port issue. Check your access restrictions tab and see if you've managed to get the address blocked somehow. Might also want to be sure you aren't filtering interet nat traffic in your security settings

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Sun 14 Dec 2014 06:25 AM (UTC)

Wait, you said tracert shows the packet dying at your router? Given that tracert doesn't take a port assignment, it's not a port issue. Check your access restrictions tab and see if you've managed to get the address blocked somehow. Might also want to be sure you aren't filtering interet nat traffic in your security settings

WhiteNyte did not indicate ever running tracert.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Sun 14 Dec 2014 07:16 AM (UTC)
I ran it before my long post. It traced the route ok without the port applied,
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Mon 15 Dec 2014 01:06 AM (UTC)
I'm wondering if your cable modem is configured for l2tp passthru. Just to see if your router is actually reaching the port on the server, try connecting your browser to 108.192.136.101:1701 - if it's working you should get the raw login screen a couple of times but you (obviously) won't be able to do anything with it. I still say 1701 was a seriously bad choice of port to run anything on.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

41,379 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]