[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  memory leak?

memory leak?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Jcl   (42 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 03 Sep 2015 11:15 AM (UTC)
I updated the MUSH from 4.91 to 4.99, and very sorry to tell you that the memory usage are increasing slowly.
I run 4.99 for two days, the memory usage increased from 10M to 100M.
The 4.91 has no similar problems.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Thu 03 Sep 2015 08:28 PM (UTC)
Can you narrow it down for me? Eg. try 4.95 and see if you have the leak. If not, try 4.97. If so, try 4.93. Keep going until you find which version caused the leak (eg. 4.93 to 4.94).

I have a copy open not connected to a MUD, and memory usage is still low (19 KB).

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Fri 04 Sep 2015 07:20 AM (UTC)

Can you narrow it down for me? Eg. try 4.95 and see if you have the leak. If not, try 4.97. If so, try 4.93. Keep going until you find which version caused the leak (eg. 4.93 to 4.94).

I have a copy open not connected to a MUD, and memory usage is still low (19 KB).

OK, I will try.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Mon 07 Sep 2015 12:25 AM (UTC)

Got it. What I did is running multiple MUSH of different versions at the same time, connecting to the same MUD with the same plugins and do the same things for a long time, and then compare the memory usage. And I found out that from version 4.93 the memory usage began to increase.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #4 on Tue 08 Sep 2015 05:12 PM (UTC)
Is 4.93 the last good one or the first bad one?

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Wed 09 Sep 2015 01:29 AM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 09 Sep 2015 02:10 AM (UTC) by Jcl

Is 4.93 the last good one or the first bad one?

4.92 is the last good one.
4.93 ~ 4.96 are bad versions.
4.97 ~ 4.99 are worse versions.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #6 on Wed 16 Sep 2015 02:54 AM (UTC)
I tried various things with 4.99 to make its memory go up (once the output buffer filled up). Nothing really seemed to do it. In particular I tried the things mentioned in the release notes for version 4.93.

http://www.gammon.com.au/scripts/showrelnote.php?version=4.93&productid=0

I can't really fix this unless I have a clue where to look.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Wed 16 Sep 2015 04:26 AM (UTC)
Somewhat luckily, the changes in version 4.93 do not include the changes to any of the included libraries, so the bug (if there is one) has to be in the commits in the link above.

If you can find it, I would be obliged.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Wed 16 Sep 2015 12:58 PM (UTC)
I'm also not noticing memory increases once the buffer is full in 4.94 but I don't run any complex plugins. Now, the process of getting the buffer full is interesting in terms of memory use but that's because I run at 100k lines in buffer but even full I'm rarely over 40k memory per client and I've never been over 50k per client even after leaving clients up for a week at a time.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Wed 16 Sep 2015 07:56 PM (UTC)
In my test I sent 103535 lines to the client (8 MB of text) and with the default 5000 line output buffer, it is only using 14 KB of RAM, and that is leaving it running overnight.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Fri 18 Sep 2015 07:06 AM (UTC)
Step 1:
I let the plugin keep idle, the memory usage did not increased.

Step 2:
I let the plugin start, the memory usage began to increase.

Step 3:
I reinstalled the plugin, the memory usage had not been reduced.

Step 4:
I clear the output buffer, the memory usage had not been reduced.

Step 5:
I closed the world, the memory usage reduced back to the initial state.

Look, the memory can be released by the world, but can not be reused. Maybe the memory is not leaking.

Can you provide some tools to view the details of the memory usage for each world?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Fri 18 Sep 2015 07:21 AM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 18 Sep 2015 07:24 AM (UTC) by Jcl

Somewhat luckily, the changes in version 4.93 do not include the changes to any of the included libraries, so the bug (if there is one) has to be in the commits in the link above.

If you can find it, I would be obliged.

The output from server contained both Chinese and ASCII characters. See the release notes for 4.93, is this problem related to UTF-8 ?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Donecce   (16 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #12 on Fri 18 Sep 2015 03:30 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 18 Sep 2015 03:31 PM (UTC) by Donecce

I am curious if you are using the Mush script function "ImportXML" anywhere.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Fri 18 Sep 2015 08:53 PM (UTC)
If we look at the release notes (in summary):

1. Fixed bug in the StripANSI function where it stopped at a semicolon.

Does the plugin call StripANSI?

2. Extra code to handle inadvertent injection of non-UTF-8 data into a UTF-8 stream (when the output window is set to UTF-8).

Is the output window set to UTF-8?

3. The AddFont function now allows you to add multiple fonts (one at a time).

Does the plugin call AddFont?

4. Fixed bug with selecting UTF-8 (Unicode) characters with the mouse, where if you clicked and dragged some characters would disappear and reappear.

Does the problem occur if you click and drag with the mouse? Or does it happen anyway?

5. Fixed problem with triggers where, if you switched to or from UTF-8 mode in the Output window configuration, triggers would expect (or not expect) UTF-8, incorrectly, possibly giving errors when new lines arrive from the MUD.

Do you switch to and from UTF-8 mode?

6. Fixed bug where, under obscure circumstances, you might get the error message "Not a valid base64 string - incorrect length (not mod 4)." when opening the triggers/aliases lists or similar windows in world configuration.

Do you open the triggers/aliases lists when using this plugin?

7. Added Lua script function: utils.utf8convert

Does the plugin use utils.utf8convert ?

8. Added support for MTTS (MUD Terminal Type Standard)

Does the world query for MTTS?

9. Added Lua script function: utils.glyph_available

Does the plugin use utils.glyph_available ?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Sat 19 Sep 2015 11:27 AM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 19 Sep 2015 11:28 AM (UTC) by Jcl

1. Fixed bug in the StripANSI function where it stopped at a semicolon.
Does the plugin call StripANSI?

No.

Quote:
2. Extra code to handle inadvertent injection of non-UTF-8 data into a UTF-8 stream (when the output window is set to UTF-8).
Is the output window set to UTF-8?

No, I didn't check the UTF-8(Unicode) option of the output configuration.

Quote:
3. The AddFont function now allows you to add multiple fonts (one at a time).
Does the plugin call AddFont?

No.

Quote:
4. Fixed bug with selecting UTF-8 (Unicode) characters with the mouse, where if you clicked and dragged some characters would disappear and reappear.
Does the problem occur if you click and drag with the mouse? Or does it happen anyway?

Because of not UTF-8 modeļ¼Œthis problem does not exist.

Quote:
5. Fixed problem with triggers where, if you switched to or from UTF-8 mode in the Output window configuration, triggers would expect (or not expect) UTF-8, incorrectly, possibly giving errors when new lines arrive from the MUD.
Do you switch to and from UTF-8 mode?

No.

Quote:
6. Fixed bug where, under obscure circumstances, you might get the error message "Not a valid base64 string - incorrect length (not mod 4)." when opening the triggers/aliases lists or similar windows in world configuration.
Do you open the triggers/aliases lists when using this plugin?

No.

Quote:
7. Added Lua script function: utils.utf8convert
Does the plugin use utils.utf8convert ?

No.

Quote:
8. Added support for MTTS (MUD Terminal Type Standard)
Does the world query for MTTS?

I am not sure about this.

Quote:
9. Added Lua script function: utils.glyph_available
Does the plugin use utils.glyph_available ?

No.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

47,136 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]