[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  function run by a timer can't create another timer to re-run itself?

function run by a timer can't create another timer to re-run itself?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Thu 23 Jun 2016 04:38 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 23 Jun 2016 04:39 PM (UTC) by Fiendish

times_fired = 0
function test_timer()
    times_fired = times_fired+1
    print(times_fired)
    AddTimer("mytimer", 0, 0, 0.1, "test_timer()", timer_flag.Enabled + timer_flag.OneShot + timer_flag.Replace + timer_flag.Temporary, "")
    SetTimerOption("mytimer", "send_to", sendto.script)
    Repaint()
end
test_timer()

This prints

and then it stops. Why? What am I doing wrong here?

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #1 on Thu 23 Jun 2016 04:58 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 23 Jun 2016 05:05 PM (UTC) by Fiendish

times_fired = 0
function test_timer()
    print(times_fired)
    AddTimer("mytimer"..times_fired, 0, 0, 0.1, "test_timer()", timer_flag.Enabled + timer_flag.OneShot + timer_flag.Replace + timer_flag.Temporary, "")
    SetTimerOption("mytimer"..times_fired, "send_to", sendto.script)
    Repaint()
end
test_timer()

But it breaks timer_flag.Replace because they'll never have the same name.

It suggests that OneShot is both trying to remove the timer _after_ my function call instead of before (and isn't removing _that_ timer but any timer with the name) so that it is trapping my newly created timer instead of the one that just expired.
Making OneShot evaluate first before the code is run would probably fix this.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Thu 23 Jun 2016 08:17 PM (UTC)
Yes, but you can't delete a timer (which is what one-shot does) and then evaluate its stuff. And I'm reluctant to remember pointers rather than names, because - during script execution - that pointer might become invalid. Hence it deletes by name.

If you hadn't assigned a name you would get a new automatically-generated name each time and the problem goes away.

But you needed the name to make it send-to-script, right? So how about using addxml? Like this:

require "addxml"
times_fired = 0
function test_timer()
    print(times_fired)
    addxml.timer {  second = 0.1, 
                    send = "test_timer ()",
                    send_to = sendto.script,
                    enabled = true,
                    one_shot = true,
                    temporary = true,
                    active_closed = true,
              }
    Repaint()
end
test_timer()

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Fri 24 Jun 2016 02:35 AM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 24 Jun 2016 02:40 AM (UTC) by Fiendish

Yes, but you can't delete a timer (which is what one-shot does) and then evaluate its stuff.

What about removing it from the list to search up front but not deleting the actual object until after? Or mangle the name so that a new one doesn't conflict, since at least _my_ expectation was that at the time of the resulting action the named timer no longer exists.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Fri 24 Jun 2016 03:29 AM (UTC)
If I save the object pointer, then run a script, the script might delete the pointer, so it is an error to delete it after the script runs.

Generating a new name, putting it into the timer, and then looking that up afterwards seems an unnecessary overhead to me.

Quote:

... _my_ expectation was that at the time of the resulting action the named timer no longer exists

Why though? You made a timer, you got it to call a script. Surely the timer exists at that point?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Fri 24 Jun 2016 03:57 AM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 24 Jun 2016 04:01 AM (UTC) by Fiendish

Why though? You made a timer, you got it to call a script. Surely the timer exists at that point?

Just a difference of expectation I guess. At that point, to me, the timer is done because the time has elapsed.

For now I've achieved my basic goal in this case by actually using something close to my "it works this way" example and changing the timer name for subsequent calls, starting at 0 for the main kickoff each time, and ignoring the odd accidental misfire (because the previous invocation doesn't get replaced anymore by new ones) because the work pool is global so there's actually no work left to be done so the time cost of the (at most a handful) misfires is negligible.

Now I need to find a fix for my WindowAddHotspots taking so long.

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

12,383 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]