[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  Running the server
. . -> [Subject]  Strangely simple bug fix for corpse saving?

Strangely simple bug fix for corpse saving?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Gatewaysysop   (14 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 09 Jun 2002 03:14 AM (UTC)

Well, I was reading a post about saving problems (not about corpses specifically) and I noticed an excerpt in which it listed the directories SMAUG uses. Among these was a /corpses sub-directory which apparently never created itself on un-zipping the archive. Who knew?

I checked the 1.4a archive (pre-compiled) that had I downloaded, and sure enough there is no "smaug/corpses" folder created when you unzip it.

Out of further curiosity (it was this or vector calculus homework) I went ahead and added a /corpses sub-directory to the smaug directory. Sure enough, corpses work and save across reboots now! No **BUG** when I immolate my test players! Woo Hoo!

I'm sure most people figured this out themselves already, but since nobody responded with the solution in my previous post, I assume at least SOMEONE might benefit from this info.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Jarin   (3 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 25 Jun 2002 03:30 PM (UTC)
Yeah i figured that out as well, there is a few folders that you have to add. but *hoping your reading this* you know when you save you char it only works once!!!!! any ideas???? ove tryed everything so ****NEW BUG*** for ya!!

plz help!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Neves   USA  (78 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Wed 26 Jun 2002 10:05 PM (UTC)
What do you mean that you can only save once?

-Mark Calloway
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Fri 28 Jun 2002 06:10 AM (UTC)
The saving problem seems to just keep appearing. There is a problem with missing folders (because of the way Winzip doesn't create empty folders), see the FAQ, and some versions don't seem to rename properly, so you get a single save but not subsequent ones.

Please be more specific about which version has the bug - ie. exact name of the file you downloaded, and which operating system you are using.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Terebi   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Thu 22 Aug 2002 02:24 AM (UTC)
I had that very annoying NO save bug as well.
Compiling and running under a win98 system,
I can only save characters once!...

The problem seems to reside in the fact SMAUG has difficulty
in overwriting the old pfiles. I did manage to get saves to work by adding a extra line that removes the old pfile before dear old SMAUG tries to overwrite an already existing file.

This is how i got it working! btw someone should update that FAQ so that ppl know exactly what folders are missing..
[Go to top] top

Posted by Festerhead   USA  (8 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Sat 24 Aug 2002 02:42 AM (UTC)
http://members.aol.com/BSNAME/SMAUG/faq.txt

Scroll down and look for the section titled...
1.6 How do I set up SMAUG on a Win95 system?

A little Google goes a long way.

FesterHead Radio - Maui's premier Indie, Modern, Progressive, and Classic Rock station.
http://www.festerhead.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

17,120 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]