[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Weird trailing carriage return

Weird trailing carriage return

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Orcus   (4 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 10 Oct 2017 05:25 PM (UTC)
Hey all. Having some issues with MUSHclient, which is my client of choice. I'm building a conformat, and having some issues where, in some rooms I get a random trailing carriage return, and in some rooms with the same setup, I do not get that return. It looks like, in some of the rooms, there's some extra trailing space on the last line and in some of the rooms there isn't.

A visual of that can be found here:
https://www.hotbmush.com/mw/images/a/ae/Room_examples.png

I'm wondering if any type of line length might be the problem? I have had multiple people check the code and it's not the code causing it. It also seems to do this in Potato MU* client in the exact same manner.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Tue 10 Oct 2017 08:05 PM (UTC)
How do you know it is a carriage-return? Normally the client simply removes them.

Try a packet debug. Go to Edit menu -> Debug Packets. Find the problem room and reproduce the problem. Then go to the packet window which would have opened and paste the results here. Then turn packet debug off or it will eventually slow things down.

Also:

Template:bug

Please provide a summary of your world configuration:

• Either use the scripting Immediate window (Ctrl+I) to execute: Debug ("summary")

or

• Install the Summary plugin (see "Summary" feature) and type "summary"

Then copy the resulting information from the output window, and paste into a Forum message.

You need version 4.55 onwards of MUSHclient to do this.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Tue 10 Oct 2017 08:11 PM (UTC)
Hrm. There was a brief flash of a new window, but no new window stayed open.

Also, I misspoke. It looks like in the rooms that it is doing it, it's adding a bunch of extra trailing spaces, not a full carriage return (it's visible in the screengrabs I posted).

Let me fiddle with this to see if I can get the packet debut to display.

Here's the summary though.

-------------- MUSHclient summary --------------

MUSHclient version: 4.94
Compiled: Jul 28 2014.
Time now: Tuesday, October 10, 2017, 4:11 PM
Client running for: 6d 22h 25m 55s
World opened for: 6d 22h 25m 55s
World connected for: 0d 03h 28m 13s
Operating system: Unknown (Platform 2, Major 6, Minor 2)
Libraries: Lua 5.1.4, PCRE 8.35, PNG 1.5.14, SQLite3 3.8.4.3, Zlib 1.2.8
World name: 'Houses of the Blood MUSH', ID: eb7d4030c36eb434f4f29492
-- Scripting --
Script language: Lua, enabled: yes
Scripting active: yes
Lua sandbox is 127 characters, DLL loading allowed: yes
Scripting prefix: ''. External editor in use: NO.
Scripting for: 0.001249 seconds.
-- Triggers, aliases, timers, variables --
** Triggers: 4 in world file, triggers enabled: yes. [Triggers]
4 enabled, 0 regexp, 4412 attempts, 0 matched, 0.021877 seconds.
** Aliases: 0 in world file, aliases enabled: yes.
0 enabled, 0 regexp, 0 attempts, 0 matched, 0.000000 seconds.
** Timers: 1 in world file, timers enabled: yes. [Timers]
1 enabled, 864 fired.
Timers checked every 0.1 seconds.
** Variables: 0.
-- MCCP --
MCCP not active.
-- Plugins (Processing order) --
ID: 520bc4f29806f7af0017985f, 'Hyperlink_URL2', (Lua, 0.001 s) Enabled [Tr]
** Plugins: 1 loaded, 1 enabled.
-- Comms --
Connect phase: 8 (Open). NAWS wanted: NO
Received: 125776 bytes (122 Kb)
Sent: 15752 bytes (15 Kb)
Received 288 packets, sent 287 packets.
Total lines received: 2119
This connection: Sent 281 lines, received 793 lines.
Telnet (IAC) received: DO: 15, DONT: 0, WILL: 10, WONT: 0, SB: 5 [Telnet]
-- MXP --
MXP active: NO, Pueblo mode: NO, Activated: On command
MXP tags received: 0
MXP entities received: 0
MXP errors: 0
-- Commands --
Commands in command history: 59
Speed walking enabled: NO. Speed walking prefix: #
Command stacking enabled: NO. Command stack character: ';'
Accelerators defined: 0
-- Miniwindows --
** Miniwindows: 0 loaded, 0 shown.
-- Output window --
Output pixels: width 1341, height: 455, font width: 8, font height: 15
can show 167 characters, wrapping at column 80, height 30 lines.
Output buffer: 2137 of 5000 lines.
-- Miscellaneous --
Logging: NO, tracing: NO
** SQLite3 databases: 0
Sound buffers in use: 0

---------------------- End summary ----------------------
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Tue 10 Oct 2017 10:46 PM (UTC)

https://pastebin.com/hTExxFGs
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Tue 10 Oct 2017 11:15 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 10 Oct 2017 11:17 PM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

Based on that packet debug, this is what I get:

look
VB1 - Linden(#86Rn)
        An upper-middle class area, Linden boasts an arrangement of well-appointed homes, set up with large and fenced yards and borders. The neighborhood is expensive, Brownstones and sprawling ranches enclosed in fences or walls. The area is patrolled and well-appointed, with most of the residential area being spread out and residential taking up most all of the neighborhood. Linden Elementary and Linden High Schools are here, as well as Hancock Academy, a private academy from K-12. At the southeast end of the city is the large Linden Walk park, a huge park with attached pavillion and performance area. In the northeastern end of the area, just west of Helena Bridge is the Marina, an easy access area to waters where the port activities do not effect. At the east end of the neighborhood, the Linden Country Club sits, a place of relaxation for the affluent in the area. Helena's Bridge, named for the second matriarch of the Queen family, runs across the channel and to Queen Island. I-5 runs south through the neighborhood, onramps allowing easy access, and the Crosstown Freeway is easily accessible here.
==< Characters >================================================================
CityBLDR                                                                (?)      
==< Locations >=================================================================
* Linden Walk <LW>                  * Linden Country Club <LCC>              
==< Exits >=====================================================================
* North <N> leads to QI1 - South Grounds.
* South <S> leads to WR2 - Crane.
* East <E> leads to AS1 - Talbot Square.
* West <W> leads to VB2 - West Heights.
* Southeast <SE> leads to MD1 - Wellington.

In what way is this not what you expect?

I replaced spaces with tick marks so you can see where the spaces are:

look
VB1`-`Linden(#86Rn)
````````An`upper-middle`class`area,`Linden`boasts`an`arrangement`of`well-appointed`homes,`set`up`with`large`and`fenced`yards`and`borders.`The`neighborhood`is`expensive,`Brownstones`and`sprawling`ranches`enclosed`in`fences`or`walls.`The`area`is`patrolled`and`well-appointed,`with`most`of`the`residential`area`being`spread`out`and`residential`taking`up`most`all`of`the`neighborhood.`Linden`Elementary`and`Linden`High`Schools`are`here,`as`well`as`Hancock`Academy,`a`private`academy`from`K-12.`At`the`southeast`end`of`the`city`is`the`large`Linden`Walk`park,`a`huge`park`with`attached`pavillion`and`performance`area.`In`the`northeastern`end`of`the`area,`just`west`of`Helena`Bridge`is`the`Marina,`an`easy`access`area`to`waters`where`the`port`activities`do`not`effect.`At`the`east`end`of`the`neighborhood,`the`Linden`Country`Club`sits,`a`place`of`relaxation`for`the`affluent`in`the`area.`Helena's`Bridge,`named`for`the`second`matriarch`of`the`Queen`family,`runs`across`the`channel`and`to`Queen`Island.`I-5`runs`south`through`the`neighborhood,`onramps`allowing`easy`access,`and`the`Crosstown`Freeway`is`easily`accessible`here.
==<`Characters`>================================================================
CityBLDR````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````(?)``````
==<`Locations`>=================================================================
*`Linden`Walk`<LW>``````````````````*`Linden`Country`Club`<LCC>``````````````
==<`Exits`>=====================================================================
*`North`<N>`leads`to`QI1`-`South`Grounds.
*`South`<S>`leads`to`WR2`-`Crane.
*`East`<E>`leads`to`AS1`-`Talbot`Square.
*`West`<W>`leads`to`VB2`-`West`Heights.
*`Southeast`<SE>`leads`to`MD1`-`Wellington.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Tue 10 Oct 2017 11:41 PM (UTC)
That shows the error then, which is weird. There's an extra space running past PennMUSH's standard 80 character limit, but not in every room apparently. The picture I posted in the first post shows what it is doing, in two rooms with the exact same setup.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Wed 11 Oct 2017 05:05 AM (UTC)
I don't think PennMUSH normally wraps output. The descriptions don't have newlines, so you can fit them to whatever screen size you want.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

14,898 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]