[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Lag/client freezing up on parsing a lot of " symbols v5.03

Lag/client freezing up on parsing a lot of " symbols v5.03

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Nemix   (12 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 18 Oct 2017 01:23 AM (UTC)
Playing Materia Magica, when running through the wilderness and there are rooms using double quotation symbols, there is significant lag/ freezing.

Tried disabling plugins/triggers etc, no change. Others playing have the issue as well. I tried another version on my PC, 4.94 and have no lag while spamming through these rooms.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nemix   (12 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Wed 18 Oct 2017 07:43 PM (UTC)
I did some more testing, it seems to have started with version 4.97. I tried a few of the versions after this and 5.05, all of which lag/freeze when trying to spam directions.

4.96 and earlier seem to be fine when spamming through the wildes with a lot of " symbols.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Wed 18 Oct 2017 08:28 PM (UTC)
It would help to have some test data. Please turn on "packet debug" using the Edit menu.

Capture some examples of this problem (eg. 20 or so packets). These will open in a different window. Copy and paste those packets into a reply here.

With no trigger or plugins enabled I can't think offhand why a certain character would cause freezing, unless there is something incorrect being sent by the server. Possibly MXP is enabled, and malformed MXP strings are being output by the server.

You could try going to the MXP/Pueblo tab in world configuration and disable MXP (Set Use MXP to "No - never"). See if that changes the behaviour.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Wed 18 Oct 2017 08:30 PM (UTC)
There does seem to be a (small) change in MXP processing in version 4.97:

https://github.com/nickgammon/mushclient/commit/5ad24b1

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sat 20 Jan 2018 08:48 PM (UTC)
We have found a memory corruption issue that may be responsible. In particular, it is likely to happen when certain messages are being displayed.

Please try the latest pre-release version of MUSHclient. See the link below for how to obtain it.

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=13903

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

13,877 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]