[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  Forum
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  Preview

Preview

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Dave   Australia  (93 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 01 Jan 2003 03:43 AM (UTC)
A lot of other forum software has Post and Preview options when submitting a post. Better than having to edit your post soon after you submit it incase you make a mistake! Would be a nice addition to an already great, simple piece of software.

Dave
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Wed 01 Jan 2003 07:56 AM (UTC)
Yes, I suppose. However by doing a post and immediately correcting problems (eg. forgetting to turn on forum codes) you generally will get it done before many people view it, as experience shows that the mail notification can take a while, and you would be unlucky if someone read your message the moment you posted it and before you corrected it.

It would be a reasonably big change, as the preview would have to go somewhere (eg. the database) and all the spots that currently display messages (including searching) would have to ignore preview messages that hadn't yet been approved.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Wed 01 Jan 2003 08:25 AM (UTC)
The preview would just go to the contents <textarea>, then you could submit or re-preview, so you wouldn't need to store anything. It's actually pretty trivial to do.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Hanaisse   Canada  (114 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Sat 05 Sep 2009 02:22 AM (UTC)
Yes, yes, I necro'd a thread from 6 years ago rather than reinvent the wheel :)

I was wondering, with all the changes made to the forum recently, if this would be easier to do now?

I much prefer to preview my responses (check formatting, tags, etc) than edit it five times after the fact.

aka: Hana
Owner in Training of: Fury of the Gods
alm-dev.org:4000
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sat 05 Sep 2009 02:37 AM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Sat 05 Sep 2009 02:43 AM (UTC)

I was wondering, with all the changes made to the forum recently, if this would be easier to do now?

It wouldn't be easier, particularly, but I see your point about it. It probably would require a bit of reworking of the way it displays the page, like first displaying all the posts from the database, and then adding the final "work in progress" post, applying forum codes, at the end.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

22,656 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]