[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  Forum
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  URL Links in Forums Messages

URL Links in Forums Messages

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by 1of10   Canada  (54 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 19 Jun 2003 09:06 AM (UTC)
I've seen a few actual clickable URL links in some message posts in these forums, but it seems most are just plain text. I've also noticed there is no forum code for a URL. So, Nick, when you post a message and give it a clickable link, do you edit the post by hand to add the link?

My suggestion would be to add a forum code to create a clickable link, since it seems URLs are posted in quite a few messages. At least five messages that I've last read. It would make it easy for users with questions to provide a clickable link to a screenshot of what problem they're experiencing... It would also make it easy for you, Nick, to add a clickable link to a different forum message or other Gammon Soft web page for reference purposes.

A good idea, if you chose to implement it, would be to have the link open in a new browser window, so the user browsing does not loose their current place while referencing something else.

One of Ten
Secondary Adjunct of Unimatrix Z03
[Go to top] top

Posted by Kris   USA  (198 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Thu 19 Jun 2003 07:44 PM (UTC)
The forum administrator in this forum script can give certain users (in this case himself hehe) a permission setting to post in html. I'm guessing that's what he used in this case.

I think Nick didn't put it in out of legitimate fears that some may exploit it as a security hole somehow. I do agree tho that having a way to do links in forum codes would be beneficial tho, so perhaps you could set it up something like this:

[URL]http://www.aethiamud.org/iceman[/URL]

Then the forum could interpret it as follows, where $URL is whatever lies between the [URL] and [/URL] tags:

<a href="$URL" target="_blank">$URL</a>

The only risk then would be someone clicking on a link to a page with some harmful/damaging scripts and whatnot. But then again, the same risk exists if someone just copies/pastes the non-html url into his/her browser window.

There may be other problems with it tho that I'm not aware of; you'd have to ask Nick about that hehe :)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Samson   USA  (683 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Fri 20 Jun 2003 02:38 AM (UTC)
Or, just stick it in the message in raw form, like so:

<a href="http://www.muddomain.com/imc/index.php">Mud Domain IMC2</a>

Standard method, anyone who knows HTML should be able to handle that, and as was mentioned, risks are fairly minimal. Someone with a rogue script will always find someplace else to post it.

Opening in a new window ( or tab, for those of us who use tabbed browsers ) is usually the norm too.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Sat 21 Jun 2003 11:13 PM (UTC)
I experimented with this a while back, but the problem is that, if you inadvertently have something like:

<a href=" ... blah blah

with no closing tag, the entire rest of the forum posting either disappears, or becomes one huge hyperlink (including other peoples' messages).

To stop this the display routine would need to carefully parse each message, which it doesn't currently do, for speed reasons.

At present, it simply does a "replace all" of "[b]" to "<b>" and so on. This seems to work reasonably well, and you can always post hyperlinks as text, and a quick copy-and-paste lets you follow them.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by PaulMorgan   (1 post)
Date Reply #4 on Mon 12 Oct 2009 06:27 AM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 12 Oct 2009 06:44 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

Nice topic.I think Nick didn't put it in out of legitimate fears that some may exploit it as a security hole somehow. I do agree tho that having a way to do links in forum codes would be beneficial tho, so perhaps you could set it up something like this.Let us more details visit at xxxxxx [spam omitted].
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Mon 12 Oct 2009 06:40 AM (UTC)

Another bit of spam bites the dust.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Twisol   USA  (2,257 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Mon 12 Oct 2009 06:44 AM (UTC)

'Soludra' on Achaea

Blog: http://jonathan.com/
GitHub: http://github.com/Twisol
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Mon 12 Oct 2009 06:47 AM (UTC)

Amended on Mon 12 Oct 2009 06:54 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

Yeah, quite right. The goat's blood is the thing that concerns me the most.

BTW spammers get their IP address blocked, so it isn't in your interest to spam this forum.

That IP address seemed to be on a list of blacklisted mail spammers too, strangely enough. ;)

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Mon 12 Oct 2009 05:57 PM (UTC)
It's amazing how much effort some people go to in order to get their cheesy links posted (and promptly removed)...

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

68,805 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]