[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  Alias Syntax

Alias Syntax

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Leprakon   (28 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 25 Jul 2003 04:29 PM (UTC)
I installed the Alias snippet found at alsherok.net, but what is the syntax for it?

The help file says it's:

alias <shortcut> <command> ,

but what if i wanted to do a shortcut for, say, casting magic missile on a mob. Is it possible to put a variable in the alias so you could just type something like "mm goblin" or something like that- instead of having to make an alias for every mob you wanted to cast magic missile on-? or would i have to modify the code substantially? Thanks
[Go to top] top

Posted by Garaelb   (54 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 25 Jul 2003 05:12 PM (UTC)
Have you considered using MACROS to do this sort of thing?

When I played a different game called MAJOR MUD - I had macro sets for several different areas. Maros are very useful for doing the mundane things like eating, drinking and casting spells that you would do over and over again.

What Client do you use?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Fri 25 Jul 2003 05:22 PM (UTC)
I use SimpleMU, and it supports aliases...

but i'm putting Aliases in my MUD for the benefit of the people who want to play but don't have mud clients..
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Fri 25 Jul 2003 06:03 PM (UTC)
A primitive solution would be to do something like the following:

- when a player command is interpreted, check to see if it's an alias.

- take a string, and put the alias's value to the beginning.

- then take the interpreted string, and add whatever "arguments" it has to the end of the string with the alias value.

For instance:
The player types "mm goblin".
The interpreter looks at the first word (the get_argument function would work) finds "mm" and says: "oh! this is an alias!"
It then looks up what this alias corresponds to, and finds "cast magic missile". So, it prints this to a string buffer.

It then goes back to what the player types. It removes the first word, and gets all the rest: in this case, "goblin". It then appends this to the string buffer, and we obtain "cast magic missle goblin".

This is less powerful than a proper alias because it can only append arguments at the end, but at least it works.

Off the top of my head, here is the code you would write once you've determined it's an alias. It is probably not completely correct. This would go somewhere in the interpret function. I'm assuming that "argument" is a char * that is the string being interpreted.

char newCommand[MAX_INPUT_LENGTH];
char command[MAX_INPUT_LENGTH];
char aliasArgs[MAX_INPUT_LENGTH];

// remove the command and store it
argument = one_argument(argument, command);

// store the arguments into aliasArgs
argument = one_argument(argument, aliasArgs);

// create the command buffer
sprintf(newCommand, "%s %s", command, aliasArgs);

// continue evaluating with newCommand
// one way to do this is simply replace argument with newCommand:
// sprintf(argument, "%s %s", command, aliasArgs);
// instead of printing it to newCommand

Now, before that you'd have to look through a table of alias definitions using the first word of the command, to make sure it is indeed an alias. I hope this helps you. :)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Fri 25 Jul 2003 08:51 PM (UTC)
yes, that helped a lot, thank you very much for the idea. It'll work for newbs- if they want more advanced aliases they can just use a client like zmud.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Fri 25 Jul 2003 08:53 PM (UTC)

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Garaelb   (54 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Sat 26 Jul 2003 06:20 AM (UTC)
Have you considered using MACROS to do this sort of thing?

When I played a different game called MAJOR MUD - I had macro sets for several different areas. Maros are very useful for doing the mundane things like eating, drinking and casting spells that you would do over and over again.

What Client do you use?
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Sat 26 Jul 2003 11:41 AM (UTC)
Garaelb, I believe the purpose of the operation was to provide in-game alias support for those who don't have MUD clients, and are connecting through telnet or a Javaweb client. If you read what he wrote carefully, he explains why he cares about programming it into SMAUG. :)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Sun 27 Jul 2003 12:11 AM (UTC)
lol yes. as a refresher (and i quote myself) : "but i'm putting Aliases in my MUD for the benefit of the people who want to play but don't have mud clients.."
[Go to top] top

Posted by Neves   USA  (78 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Sun 27 Jul 2003 05:32 AM (UTC)
Hey, I rewrote a good bit of an alias snippet I downloaded to allow command stacking as well as make it easier to add and change aliases, if anyone wants the code for it, e-mail me at nevesfirestar2002@yahoo.com

-Nev
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

22,790 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]