[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  MC Minimize to Tray option

MC Minimize to Tray option

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1  2  3  4 5  

Posted by Linda   Sweden  (164 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #45 on Sat 20 Mar 2004 10:09 PM (UTC)
Obviously, I don't know much (read: anything) about the coding side of things. Heck, I don't really know what an MDI is. :)

When it comes down to it, it is obviously the decision of the person responsible for doing the code; I am simply giving my opinion of how I think it should work. And from a user point of view, or at least this user's point of view, some kind of pop-up window as the only option for spawned windows is undesireable.

Ideal, as I see it, is a solution that allows either internal windows that behave more or less like regular world windows or external windows that behave in some other fashion, but I have absolutely no idea how doable or not that is. But it must certainly have the best chance of pleasing the most users. :)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #46 on Sat 20 Mar 2004 10:38 PM (UTC)
MDI is Multiple Document Interface. It is basically the "window within a window" that characterises MUSHclient, and a lot of other programs.

The "outer" window is called a "frame", and inside it the inner windows appear, and are clipped to the frame edge.

This is nice in many ways, it stops the program's windows from taking over your entire desktop, however there are times when you might want that. :)

I appreciate your suggestions, whether they are easy to do or not, is not your problem. I will see if there is a way of achieving that, or something similar, without huge amounts of effort or "software bloat".

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #47 on Sat 20 Mar 2004 10:52 PM (UTC)
Ah, thanks. That makes sense of that acronym. :)

I guess what this partly comes down to (apart from what is doable or not in an effective fashion, which I agree is important) is what different users are used to. I know a lot of people don't like tabbed browsing, for example, and although it took me a fair while to try it, I've gotten so used to it that I'd cry if someone took my tabs away now. ;)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #48 on Sat 20 Mar 2004 11:03 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 20 Mar 2004 11:05 PM (UTC) by Shadowfyr

Forget the first rule of design Nick. K.I.S.S. lol

But seriously, I didn't realize things where bound so closely to the window. It is possible to make windows that behave like MDI, but can float as well, it just isn't often done, since the APIs don't directly provide it. In any case, if the existing windows are so closely bound, then making a new type may be more practical, in which case there is nothing stopping it from supporting either MDI or non-MDI depending on user choice. I still think that a direct way to feed capture text 'with color and other stuff' to it is a good idea or someone is going to scream about some things not working as right.

Then again, maybe a complete rethinking of the existing design to de-couple some of the mechanics of text processing from actual display is in order. Doing it now would be significantly easier that later, when something else gets added and makes it even more complicated to fix.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Ashlan   Australia  (8 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #49 on Mon 22 Mar 2004 12:02 PM (UTC)
Heyhey nick - O/S W2K w/regular windows updates etc > 'minimise to tray' minimised to tray & task bar? i have tried reboot, various option... not much luck;) Glad to see it happening though!!!

Regards, Ashlan

@AshNathens
[Go to top] top

Posted by Poromenos   Greece  (1,037 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #50 on Mon 22 Mar 2004 02:15 PM (UTC)
By the way, it would be nice if the user could use their own icon. The way you do that in VB is you load the icon in a picture box and pass it to the API. Maybe you can pass an icon's hWND in C++ or something...

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
http://porocrom.poromenos.org/ Read it!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #51 on Mon 22 Mar 2004 10:09 PM (UTC)
The minimize to tray only will take effect next time you start MUSHclient, as it has to set up a "hidden" window as the owner of the main window.

However I have made a slight change in 3.47 which may fix it.

As for the choosing custom icons, that is added to 3.47.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #52 on Tue 23 Mar 2004 12:33 AM (UTC)
I am experiencing an odd effect which I am pretty sure started after upgrading. I always run MUSHclient maximized, and all worlds with it, but now that I flick from one world to another, I am seeing the window of a new world maximize, as if it had been minimized before. If I flip away, and then back, it happens again.

Oddly enough, it only seems to affect one world, and so far I haven't been able to find any setup differences that look like they could possibly matter.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #53 on Tue 23 Mar 2004 12:56 AM (UTC)

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?bbsubject_id=37

What causes it, I'm not sure. Read that post and see if it helps.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #54 on Tue 23 Mar 2004 01:05 AM (UTC)

If the flickering world was mimimized before, then it thinks that it needs to "restore" it, and thus you get the flicker.

This is how I fixed it...

1. Un-maximize the individual world windows.
  2. Make sure none are minimized (ie. they are all just ordinary window panes)
  3. Exit MUSHclient in this state.
  4. Start MUSHclient again
  5. Now you can maximize the windows and it shouldn't flicker

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Dave   Australia  (93 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #55 on Tue 23 Mar 2004 01:10 AM (UTC)
Don't know if this has been addressed yet, but when I minimize MUSHclient, and use the tray icon to restore it, it doesn't come back maximised like it was before I minimized. Also, currently there's no option to "Minimize to tray". When I minimize, I'd like the task bar entry to be removed, and a tray icon added. Then, when I click on the tray icon, I'd like the task bar entry to be returned, and the tray icon removed. Is this possible? :)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #56 on Tue 23 Mar 2004 04:28 AM (UTC)
Try 3.47, see if that fixes the "no task bar" problem. As for the maximizing let me know if that still happens.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Norbert   USA  (61 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #57 on Tue 23 Mar 2004 02:18 PM (UTC)
I just installed 3.47, and have minimize set to both, I always play with mushclient maximized and when I minimize it goes to the taskbar and the tray, if i click on the taskbar to restore mushclient it returns maximized, if I click on the tray it returns not maximized.

Norbert

-Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot?
Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens
It's a dumb question... skip it.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #58 on Tue 23 Mar 2004 08:56 PM (UTC)

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #59 on Wed 28 Apr 2004 04:39 AM (UTC)
Nick, when you right click the taskbar, perhaps you can have a minimize to tray option? Also somewhere in the main menu structure have a command (File / Edit / View etc).

Also, having a fourth button next to the minimize (minimize to tray, minimize(to taskbar, normally), maximize, end task)... like this:
http://neal.bussett.com/tray.png (K-sens)

Just noticed that there was no way to simply click something and shrink it to tray. I know sometimes I want to get rid of MC completely, but dont normally want it to minimize to tray.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

141,503 views.

This is page 4, subject is 5 pages long:  [Previous page]  1  2  3  4 5  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]