[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Perlscript
. . -> [Subject]  any alternative?

any alternative?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by finnish   Russia  (18 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sun 28 Sep 2003 11:51 AM (UTC)
is there any alternative to get working perlscript?
i mean without activeperl. maybe?

she never loved me why should anyone
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sun 28 Sep 2003 06:35 PM (UTC)
Not really.. Mushclient relies on something called COM to talk to the script engines and the engines back to Mushclient. ActivePerl's 'engine' is an ActiveX control, which uses COM to communicate. 'In theory' you could use a different version of Perl as long as its engine supported COM, but Mushclient wouldn't have a clue how to use it, since the ID used to talk to ActivePerl is hard coded into it.

The only other alternative would would to built a Perl engine into the client itself, but that would add a lot of size to Mushclient, especially since it would mean adding support for talking to other COM objects into the client, instead of allowing the existing engines to handle that. Adding such extended COM support correctly is in my experience 100 times more complicated in itself than it would be to build the actual script engine.

As for why Nick doesn't just add some sort of option to let you give it the ID of any engine you want and have it use that one, it isn't that simple. It took several tries to figure out how to get Mushclient to talk to Python correctly and support for a TCL engine has been suggested, but so far not successfully implimented. Using a new engine is sadly no where near as simple as just plugging a cord into a wall socket. Each one has some quirk that makes talking to it different.

With ActivePerl it was a matter of shear luck, since it is part of a collection designed by Micro$loth and accessible through the same engine interface, itactually has a consistent way of being used. The fact that it may not be the best implimentation is unfortunately secondary.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Mon 29 Sep 2003 08:58 AM (UTC)
and no other language support is planned?

[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Mon 29 Sep 2003 05:26 PM (UTC)
You can always suggest one. However, Nick would then have to impliment the support code for it and you would have to wait for the next version.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Mon 29 Sep 2003 10:39 PM (UTC)

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Tue 30 Sep 2003 07:04 AM (UTC)
There is supposed to be a function "enumerate script engines" which would let me automatically display the scripting engines installed, however I couldn't get it to work, and I suspect it doesn't work. :P

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

14,825 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]