[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  GUI suggestions

GUI suggestions

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Seawolf   USA  (57 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 30 Jul 2004 12:28 PM (UTC)
I made some notes on how I think the config screens would be benefited.
Nick has already seen them, but if anyone has any good ideas for it, here they are.

Connect on Startup and Plugins – move from Global Preferences to World Config
IP Address and Connect and Word Wrap options merge?
Extra Info - Info Chat Notes panels?
Customization – Timers Triggers Input Appearance
Open Global Prefs option in world config panels – that stuff would no longer be that useful for most people, but that would be a nice touch anyway
Game->Configure should open All Configuraton automatically, since you can select which part you want in there that's kind of extraneous
[Go to top] top

Posted by Poromenos   Greece  (1,037 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sat 31 Jul 2004 12:57 AM (UTC)
I don't understand how connecting on startup and plugins can be moved to world config. Also, what does word wrap have to do with connect? :P

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
http://porocrom.poromenos.org/ Read it!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sat 31 Jul 2004 08:26 PM (UTC)
What it has to do with it is virtually nothing except that its a very basic option (I don't even know why we need an option) so it should be in the same place.

How? That's easy. You'd simply click a checkbox in the world config to connect at startup. Probably in the same panel as the merged IP+connect stuff. The setting would end up as global but it belongs in the world config panels IMO. It'd just make it that much easier to use.

Plugins would probably end up in Customization....in fact Global Prefs could end up there as well, if we wanted to get all config in one place. You'd just have notices on what config stuff was global.

I'm all for all config stuff being in one place for less confusion/hassle.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Sun 01 Aug 2004 10:33 PM (UTC)

Connect on Startup and Plugins – move from Global Preferences to World Config

The "connect on startup" (worlds to open at startup, do you mean?) is a list of worlds to open when MUSHclient opens. It can hardly be in a particular world config file, as it is a list of files to open.

The plugins in Global Preferences are *global* plugins, ones that apply to every world. By definition, they are not specific to a particular world.

If anything, I would move options *from* the world files (eg. your preferred font) and into the global preferences.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Sun 01 Aug 2004 10:34 PM (UTC)

How? That's easy. You'd simply click a checkbox in the world config to connect at startup. Probably in the same panel as the merged IP+connect stuff.

Yes, but how does it know to open that file to read the option? Say you have world files scattered over 5 disks, it can't really search every disk in the hope of finding a world file with "open at startup" checked. That would take forever.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Sun 01 Aug 2004 10:38 PM (UTC)
Well I was just thinking that with all of it in one place it'd be more accessible. I know that I rarely touch Global Prefs even though things I've mentioned are fairly useful.

If connect on startup were in the world config file, it would basically change the global list. It would still work that way.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Mon 02 Aug 2004 01:25 AM (UTC)
Theres nothing wrong with the way things are currently organized. Theyre in places that make sense.

If open at startup was in the world file, then you'd have to search the WHOLE harddrive each time you started MC. Or have a list of all the worlds, (which is what MC currently does for the open at startup thing).

Config stuff already is in one place, the global configs, and then the worlds. Because the worlds might all be COMPLETELY different. Because theyre used for many different things.

Whats wrong with not opening all the options? the "all" one opens your last used thing. And its much easier than searching through the list to find the one you want, if youre doing the same thing many times.

The word wrap thing is a basic option yes, but so is things like font, and such. And you "dont know why it should be an option"? Not everyone wants the wrapping. There are some times when its handy to not wrap.
Things should be organized logically, as they are, not by how often you use them, or anything like that.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Mon 02 Aug 2004 02:23 AM (UTC)
I'm just suggesting simplifcation, I'm not suggesting it doesn't work as it is.

If you like things the way they are thats fine, I'm just saying that it could be improved.

I don't know what I was talking about with the word wrap thing either, to be perfectly honest. I guess that's why the ?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Poromenos   Greece  (1,037 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Mon 02 Aug 2004 12:53 PM (UTC)
Well, personally I think the way they are now is simpler, sorry :/

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
http://porocrom.poromenos.org/ Read it!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Tue 03 Aug 2004 02:39 AM (UTC)
Well we've got 32 configuraton screens, some of which have barely anything on thm, some of which I imagine aren't that useful even to you, which are in two seperate places...now I dunno bout you but I'm a more common sort...I can't program worth shit, so I don't use 29 of those 32 screens...
I use IP address, connectings, and worlds to open at startup...thats basically it.

I'm sure theres a good compromise somewhere, at any rate...you wouldnt lose anything but I'd gain something...
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Tue 03 Aug 2004 03:44 AM (UTC)
How bad is it to have to go to through three screens when youre setting up a world?

If you have world options you always use, make a dummy world, and then load everything from that upon creating a new one.

If you have to keep changing something, make an alias for it, and then use that whenever you need to toggle whatever.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Thu 05 Aug 2004 05:52 AM (UTC)
It' not that bad, but its more compicated than it needs to be.
(True that I'm lazy, but I'm not the only one...)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Sun 15 Aug 2004 07:07 PM (UTC)
Well I still think I had some good ideas, even if I'd have to remove a few. It's possible there's even more that could be done, but hell...I've no intention of digging into this further really, if there's no indication anyone cares.
___
Down to:
Link to Global Preferences in World Config
IP Address and Connect options merge
Extra Info - Info Chat Notes panels
Customization – Input Appearance Scripting
Timers -> Scripting
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Mon 16 Aug 2004 06:13 AM (UTC)
I agree things could be neater, but as I said to you privately, I can spend many, many hours reworking these screens, getting out the bugs, etc. and probably only make marginal difference to overall user satisfaction.

There is always the possibility that you, and 10 others, would prefer them changed, but that Poromenos, and 11 others, would prefer them to stay the same. So, the overall gain might be negative. :)

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Thu 19 Aug 2004 12:22 PM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

28,865 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]