[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Err...

Err...

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by David Berthiaume   (202 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 10 Dec 2004 10:57 PM (UTC)
The release notes for 3.51 say that you added the send to special... I.E. the long awaited output windows... I got 3.58, I didn't see anything different, is there a setup thing I need to do first? Or is it not working to your prefectionist standards?
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 10 Dec 2004 11:09 PM (UTC)
added the send to special... I.E. the long awaited output windows...
For starters, it was a fix to 'send to special', and second, 'send to special' is not (as far as I know) meant to have anything to do with the "long awaited output windows".
The release notes state:
Quote:
4. When triggers, aliases, timers, "send to special" are now sending things, empty text is no longer discarded in the following cases:
This is so it is possible to make a trigger that matches everything (including blank lines) and have those blank lines logged, or appended to a notepad or pane window.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Fri 10 Dec 2004 11:12 PM (UTC)

Quote:
4. When triggers, aliases, timers, "send to special" are now sending things, empty text is no longer discarded in the following cases:

a. Notepad (send to, append or replace)
b. Output window
c. Log file
d. Variable
e. Pane

This says to me, that he was going to be implementing output windows in this release, I was curious if thats still on hold, or if there is something I'm not doing so that I'm not getting that function.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Fri 10 Dec 2004 11:35 PM (UTC)
'Output Window' refers to where your output normally appears. I am not sure what 'pane' refers too though, unless that is the infobar. Secondary windows are still in development last I heard.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Fri 10 Dec 2004 11:49 PM (UTC)
Pane will eventually (if everything goes well) be his 'improved notepad windows' which allow fonts, colors, etc etc.
Or at least, thats what I get out of it.

No, you aren't missing anything. He hasn't completely implimented it yet. He had, but then had some problems with something, and decided not to release it yet.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Fri 10 Dec 2004 11:56 PM (UTC)
That snuck into the release notes. :) However it is still useful for (say) notepads.

I had problems with panes, so they are not in.

However various alternatives now present themselves. For one thing you can colour, resize and change the fonts for notepad windows, so they can be made a bit more like the pane idea.

Also, the extra standalone window I described recently would go a long way towards doing that. If you took those ideas and made (say) a rich-text control window you effectively have a pane.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Sat 11 Dec 2004 12:04 AM (UTC)
Notepad window color/font is on a notepad only basis. It isnt like the infobar where you can change font/color midway through though. Correct?

I suppose I could just check when I get to a computer with MC.

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #7 on Sat 11 Dec 2004 03:50 AM (UTC)
That is correct. For multiple colours you would need to do the external window idea. I may do an example of that soon, although the concept is pretty simple.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Sat 11 Dec 2004 10:29 AM (UTC)
That's nifty, The problem I had with notepad, was trying to use multiple pads... It didn't work to well.

Also in order to colorize the notepad I would have to switch to Lua, which while Lua sounds amazing and incredible, I lack the programing skills to convert my VBscripts into Lua Scripts.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Sat 11 Dec 2004 04:19 PM (UTC)
Actually.. While Nick has gone 'way' overboard with Lua, the function calls for coloring the notepad, getting system metrics, etc. are mushclient funtions, not Lua, so they should work in any available language. Most of the recent examples have simply been in Lua, which may be the reason you are a tad confused.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Sat 11 Dec 2004 09:40 PM (UTC)
That's correct. Almost all the new functions are still for every available language. If you see them in the functions documentation they are not language-specific.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Poromenos   Greece  (1,037 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #11 on Sun 19 Dec 2004 10:09 AM (UTC)
When you say external stand-alone window, do you mean like the one I made? Why is everyone ignoring that? It does everything you want.

Vidi, Vici, Veni.
http://porocrom.poromenos.org/ Read it!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Sun 19 Dec 2004 07:56 PM (UTC)
Don't worry Poromenos, sometimes I spend hours working on things and then practically no-one uses them. The colour customisation on this forum, for example. So far only two people out of 2,297 have tried that.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #13 on Sun 19 Dec 2004 10:13 PM (UTC)
I think that it's not quite what people were expecting. It's fairly hard to do, and besides, a site has its own color schemes. People want to have customized colors for their own forums, not customize their colors on somebody else's forums (especially if they have to edit colors themselves and not pick from a scheme.)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Sun 19 Dec 2004 10:26 PM (UTC)

Ksilyan said ...

Personally I think that it'd be nice to be able to customize if not the layout (which is quite harder, yes), at least the color of the pages, and that really shouldn't be too hard to do.

You asked for colour customisation and that is what I did. I am prepared to make themes too if someone puts together a nice batch of related colours, however as I said, only two people have attempted any colour changes (you being one) so it doesn't seem as if there is much call for it.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

36,353 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]