[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Getting started...am used to "Gmud" client

Getting started...am used to "Gmud" client

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Hatfield   USA  (4 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 15 Sep 2005 03:30 AM (UTC)
OK, I realize from the number of pages in this forum, that someone has likely already covered this, so if a helpful person in-the-know can direct me to the appropriate thread, I will thank you heartily!

At the suggestion of a friend who is hosting a new PennMUSH, I have downloaded MUSHclient.

The problem is, I'm an old hand MUDder, and the most complex client I've ever dealt with successfully is Gmud. Very simple and straight forward on aliases, triggers and macros. You tell it that you want to type THIS and it does THAT...

I see potential for some of the features of MUSHclient, like being able to use variables within triggers and aliases...but mind you, I went to college when BASIC was a college level programming class, so...three quarters of this all is hitting about 8" above the brow line for me!

Would someone kindly direct me to some resources on getting myself started, preferably with examples of usage and single sylable words explaining what the heck I'm doing?

Thank you for listening to me ramble...its been a long day.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Ked   Russia  (524 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Thu 15 Sep 2005 01:32 PM (UTC)
If all you want to be able to do is type THIS and have THAT done in response, then aliases and triggers in Mushclient are as straightforward as it gets: you type THIS in the Match box and THAT in the Send box, and click Ok.

If you want to do something more complicated than that then the best course of action would probably be to take it one step at a time, and ask questions here about specific things that you want to do. Mushclient's help file is also fairly informative.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Thu 15 Sep 2005 02:44 PM (UTC)

Amended on Thu 15 Sep 2005 02:46 PM (UTC) by Hatfield

Where I seem to be having problems is the checkboxes or possibly variables?

For example, one of my aliases I'm trying to set is sort of a conversion. Being an old mudder, I'm used to typing 'GOS' to speak on the public channel. So I'm trying to set an alias for GOS to equal +CHAT. As you suggest, I put GOS in the MATCH, +CHAT in the send, and I checkmarked ENABLE. But when I go to USE my alias, typing GOS <what I want to say to my friends...> all that comes up is:

+CHAT
Huh? (Type "help" for help.)

If I add a variable(the word 'say') to the send part, hoping that the alias will replace the variable with my message, all it will do is output the variable as my message:

<chat> Hatfield says, "say"

So, apparently I'm missing something. I don't even NEED to worry about some of the fancier details like scripting and so forth, as I said in the first post, any more than the basics of Smaug mud mprog programming and my head spins (I'm already having issues with MUSH building, but that's a whole other thread!) I just want to know how to set up the formatting on basic commands...maybe set a trigger or three...
[Go to top] top

Posted by Flannel   USA  (1,230 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Thu 15 Sep 2005 08:53 PM (UTC)
The biggest difference between GMud and Mushclient (being a former Gmudder myself) is that the aliases need wildcards, or more specifically, mushclient sends ONLY what you tell it to send, so if you dont include a wildcard match thing, it won't get sent.

In GMud, your alias is like this:
match: "asdf"
send: "qwer"
and you'd type 'asdf zcxv' and it would send 'qwer zxcv'.

In mushclient, you need to be a little more specific:
match: "asdf *"
(the asterisk is a wildcard, like in GMud with triggers)
send: "qwer %1" (%1 is your first wildcard)
and then you'd get the same result.

So, basically, you need to make your match text be: "GOS *" and then your send be "+CHAT %1".

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Fri 16 Sep 2005 06:43 PM (UTC)
I've attempted setting the match and send the way Flannel suggested. Its still not functioning as I need.

I set match to gos * and send to +chat %1, but as I said before, all I get when I try to use it is something like

gos what I want to say on the chat channel...

+chat
Huh? (Type "help" for help.)

So I think what's happening is, it accepts the alias for +chat, but it doesn't know what to do with the rest of my text. Also as I said previously, using a word for the variable only causes the alias to have me chat the word for my alias (see my previous post...)

I'm getting a little frustrated. Right now the only advantage (and its a small one) that MUSHclient gives me is the Pueblo capability. But in my current level of compitence, about all that means is I can click navigate through rooms.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Fri 16 Sep 2005 06:49 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 16 Sep 2005 06:50 PM (UTC) by Flannel

Copy your alias and paste it here (go to the alias page, (thats the big chart one with the lines where you can see multiple aliases) and highlight it, and click copy, then come here,and paste it).

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Sat 17 Sep 2005 12:07 AM (UTC)
I found out what the issue was (quite accidentally actually!)

What I had been doing was putting the commands as I had them into the match and send boxes...
(Match: gos *, send: +chat %1)
and then would manually check the Regular Expression box. What I needed to do was leave the Regular Expression unchecked, put my match and send in the appropriate box and then click the Convert to Regular Expression button.

The button changed gos * to ^gos (.*?)$. This one alteration clicked everything into gear...(note to self: don't give up so easily next time!)

I think since the regulars here probably do this without thinking, you didn't think to mention it to me...and I, being used to an entirely different breed of client didn't think to wonder what this little feature would do...

Now the fun part....working my way through something like 200+ aliases, macros and triggers I have on my Gmud, and adapting them to MUSHclient (think I'd rather debug a MUD!).

Thanks for your help!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Sat 17 Sep 2005 01:08 AM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 17 Sep 2005 01:24 AM (UTC) by Flannel

Nah, you didn't need to convert it to a regexp, you could've left it as is, without converting, and without the checkbox.

The regulars here mostly just write their own triggers as regexps, they're more powerful, faster (non-regexps just convert to regexps internally, so you can either convert (manually, or via the button) at runtime, or compile time), and a lot more flexible, except they are more complicated to understand, so most of us revert to non-regexps (unless the trigger requires) when helping people who are still figuring the rest of MC out.
However (like I already said), you're not required to use them, simply having gos * and +chat %1 without the regexp check wouldve worked just as well (which is why we didn't mention it).

Edit:
Another thing to note is that your other trigger did infact work, but it matched: "gos" with any number of spaces after it ( *) the * meaning 0 or more of the previous character (a space) and you were sending a blank wildcard (because you didn't capture anything in your regexp).
Also, had you been TALKING about 'gos' (or had anything with gos in it) it would have matched. like: 'I like to gossip' would've matched, and other similar things.
That's why (when dealing with regexps, and aliases (and most triggers)) it's important to anchor it to the beginning of a line (and usually the end too), so you don't fire it when talking about an alias, or whatnot.
This also (coming from Gmud) is useful, because it keeps people from being able to spoof lines (via says, or whatnot) and fire your triggers because you can anchor them to the beginning (non-regexps default to matching whole lines).

I'm sure that last paragraph is a bit confusing (but once you read up on regexps a little, you'll understand).

~Flannel

Messiah of Rose
Eternity's Trials.

Clones are people two.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

24,986 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]