[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Wine
. . -> [Subject]  Scripting in WINE

Scripting in WINE

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Anatole   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 16 Dec 2005 04:43 PM (UTC)
My computer is being repaired but in the mean time I can use my friend's Win XP box. I`d like to create a script for my IRE MUD, thing is, I usually run Linux thus would like to use it there using Wine / Cedega (which one runs MC best ?). So the question would be, which languange is best supported by MC under Wine ?

p.s.
I dont have the priv to change registry in Win XP box, so my registration key doesnt work i.e. the next time I start MC it stays unregistered. Hopefully it wont be that way in cedega /wine
[Go to top] top

Posted by Anatole   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 16 Dec 2005 05:22 PM (UTC)
looks like the best supported languange would be LUA, I'd rather use python since I am already familiar with it. Is it possible to use Perl / Python in MC running under Wine or Cedega ?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Fri 16 Dec 2005 09:42 PM (UTC)

As for Wine, try seaching this forum. Here is a page which shows reasonable success getting it to work:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?bbsubject_id=4232

I would recommend Lua for Wine, as that is a simple DLL which ships with MUSHclient anyway, and doesn't use the COM interface, which may cause problems.

I have had VBscript working under Wine, however the installer didn't, so I had to manually copy the vbscript.dll from my Windows PC to the Wine one.

You may have similar problems with Perl / Python. They might work, if you can get the installer to work.

I would give Lua a try, it isn't that hard to learn, and is nicely integrated with MUSHclient now.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by 1of10   Canada  (54 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Tue 18 Mar 2008 10:51 AM (UTC)
I don't suppose you could offer any basic tips on getting VBscript working under Wine? I just installed MUSHclient under Wine 0.9.56-1 on Fedora Core 8. Most all of my own plugins are written in Perl, but there's the odd one that still uses VBscript.

I used to be very much at home with Linux... way back around the time of Slackware 7. I've recently started using Linux again -- installed FC8 as second/default OS on my notebook PC -- and I'm still re-familiarizing myself with everything. Tips would be very much appreciated! :-)

Some basic questions I'm looking for answers to are:

1) You mentioned the installer not working... I presume that's the Microsoft scripting languages installer? So, if I just copy the DLL files from my Windows XP partition into the Wine-specific Windows directory, is that all to make it work, or do I need more DLLs, such as for COM?

2) After MUSHclient crashed under Wine while attempting to open a world that uses a plug-in written in VBscript, I removed that plug-in and had the same result for another plug-in, but this one written in Perl (using PerlScript provided by ActivePerl on Microsoft Windows). Since you mentioned possible issues with Perl/Python as well, do you know of any quick solutions to that -- copy DLLs like above? Or, do you know of anything I can look for with regards to a package I can install via yum/apt/etc.?

These plugins are not important; not required for the worlds to work correctly, however, there are a few in-line scripts used by the odd trigger, alias or macro inside the world...

I'd love to continue using MUSHclient with Fedora, and I have only a very limited copy-hack-n-paste knowledge of Lua that I got from re-writing a couple of tiny Lua functions for SciTe (my favourite text/code editor). I don't really know much of anything about Lua yet.

I will continue searching these forums. I would also value any wisdom you could pass on. :-)

One of Ten
Secondary Adjunct of Unimatrix Z03
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Tue 18 Mar 2008 07:48 PM (UTC)
Wine is improving, so the first approach would be to grab the VBscript (and Perlscript) installers and trying them. You would need to use Wine to run them. So you might put them into your home directory, start a "console" application, and then type "wine <installer-name>".

If that doesn't work, I would:

• Go to a working Windows installation, and grab the appropriate DLL (eg. vbscript.dll).

• Put that into the same directory as mushclient.exe.

• Start MUSHclient.

• Go the scripting configuration tab (in one of your worlds).

• Change the script language temporarily to the new one (eg. Vbscript).

• Click on the "Register DLL" button. That should make the appropriate entries in the Registry so it knows that DLL exists.

That might work. :)

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shaun Biggs   USA  (644 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Tue 18 Mar 2008 08:22 PM (UTC)
Nick's second suggestion should work for VBScript. I used those exact methods to get JScript working before I converted everything over to Lua. I was unable to get VBScript working, but this is with an ancient version, so it might work on newer builds of Wine. If I remember correctly, I grabbed the JScript dll from http://www.dll-files.com/

It is much easier to fight for one's ideals than to live up to them.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shaun Biggs   USA  (644 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Thu 27 Mar 2008 10:15 PM (UTC)
Well, as a bit of an update to this post, it looks like Wine is now adding jscript.dll support. Also, with the additional work on the MSI, it appears that they are working on getting VBScript to work as well.

Quote:

This is release 0.9.58 of Wine, a free implementation of Windows on Unix.
- Beginning of jscript dll support.

It is much easier to fight for one's ideals than to live up to them.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

26,998 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]