[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Python
. . -> [Subject]  Mushclient with python scripts in a memory stick

Mushclient with python scripts in a memory stick

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Mpa   (9 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 29 Sep 2006 05:39 PM (UTC)
Back in the days when MC only supported JavaScript and VBScript, I used to play MUD in a random internet cafe or campus computer room by sticking a CD containing Mushclient, my scripts and the world file.

These days, I usually only play in my own computer since I have long since converted my VBScripts to Python.

I still would like to play MC from anywhere by using a memory stick or CD. Is it doable if the computer where I play it doesnt have activestate python ? Is there a way to put python in the memory stick and tell mushclient to use it from there ?

And no, Lua is kinda out of the question right now. Changing all my achaean scripts to Lua would take hours just to write and days to test them out, that is if I could even do it in the first place.

Any ideas ?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Onoitsu2   USA  (248 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 29 Sep 2006 09:48 PM (UTC)
I have no idea when it come to python, but I SERIOUSLY recommend using LUA, as is has now become the main language being used in scripts, as it is universal, and needs no additional installs, and even will work on Linux, when running MUSHclient via 'Wine'.

I might be able to convert your scripts to LUA, just upload them somewhere, or e-mail them to me at onoitsu2@yahoo.com

I do not play on Archea, but am quite proficient at converting nearly any language to LUA, as I have done for MANY personal friends.

Laterzzz,
Onoitsu2
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Fri 29 Sep 2006 10:14 PM (UTC)
I've tried for about an hour to make this work, but can't even get anything to happen.

Unlike some other scripting engines, where you can grab the DLL and do regsvr32 (dll) - Python seems more complex. I hate this sort of stuff where even installing is a major problem.

There is a python script you are supposed to run to enable the scripting engine. However to run that script you need python installed.

All I can suggest is put the complete Python installer on the memory stick and hope they don't mind you installing it. And even then, make sure you run the python script installer as well, see:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=3099

If that doesn't work, well maybe Lua is looking more attractive. ;)

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Tsunami   USA  (204 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Sat 30 Sep 2006 06:09 AM (UTC)
I have often run MUSH off of a memory stick, and the biggest problem was running it on non-priviledged computers. This I solved by putting a copy of regedit.exe on the memory stick, as well as a copy of my local computer's MUSHclient registry section. Drag the .reg file onto regedit.exe, and you're good to go!
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Mon 02 Oct 2006 12:20 AM (UTC)
some systems have regedit disabled, I have a program called reg3dit, which is a hacked version of regedit, that allows you to alter the registry even in those situations.

E-mail me at onoitsu2@yahoo.com if you would like me to reply with it attached in a zip, cause I cannot upload exe on yahoo, or at least not 90% of the time.

Laterzzz,
Onoitsu2
[Go to top] top

Posted by Tsunami   USA  (204 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Mon 02 Oct 2006 03:35 AM (UTC)
W98 has a bug I think, where even if you aren't allowed to use the regedit.exe in the system folder, any copy of regedit from another allowed computer on a flash drive or something will work. Least, that was how I got around it ;)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Tue 03 Oct 2006 03:18 AM (UTC)
Well any NT based Windows OS is smarter in that respect.
It looks at the executable itself and will diallow execution of it.

Laterzzz,
Onoitsu2
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Tue 03 Oct 2006 08:32 AM (UTC)

Does it allow you to change registry (install activepython) without admin privileges.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Tue 03 Oct 2006 08:33 AM (UTC)
Oh and right now I am using Tsunami's ACS and start making my own scripts in Lua.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

27,284 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]