[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Suggestions
. . -> [Subject]  Scripting enabled by default?

Scripting enabled by default?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Fri 13 Oct 2006 02:42 AM (UTC)
I wonder if the default should be to have scripting enabled, so that when we post scripted suggestions, they work automatically, without having to go and turn scripting on.

Possibly with the "scripting prefix" empty, so that if a MUD had "slash" commands, they wouldn't be interpreted as script commands.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Ked   Russia  (524 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 13 Oct 2006 07:27 PM (UTC)
It should. Scripting being disabled is probably the number two problem for newbies.

The number one problem is the Import function. It's turning into a devil, as people somehow manage to find it before they find any other means of installing stuff.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Fri 13 Oct 2006 08:44 PM (UTC)

The number one problem is the Import function.

What do you mean "they find it"? In what way is it a problem? It seems to me the problem is people don't find it, and do things like the recent poster described, trying to turn an XML trigger into a script file, etc.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Sat 14 Oct 2006 02:58 AM (UTC)
I have no idea how they find it, but they do. Probably because it has such a telling name: Import. Everyone knows what "importing" does.

It just seems that every new user who tries to install one of my plugins, never reaches the Plugins option in the menu, and heads straight for the Import one.

Trying to turn a trigger into a script sounds like a fairly rare problem, and one caused by general confusion about how Mushclient works. There's nothing you can do about it - ex Zmud users will always presume triggers to be scripts.

The need to use Import is really rare - most things are shared as plugins or just triggers/aliases, neither of which requires the use of the Import function. Yet the function sits in the File menu, right above the Plugins one.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sat 14 Oct 2006 04:38 AM (UTC)
Maybe it needs to be renamed "Import XML" and maybe a button added to it to "Load Plugin" or something.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Sat 14 Oct 2006 04:57 AM (UTC)
I hadn't realised that was a problem, but I can understand why it might be. I have amended the Import dialog to provide a button that takes users to the Plugins dialog, and made that the default action.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Sat 14 Oct 2006 06:29 AM (UTC)
Also, do you think the default should be for error messages to go to the output window and not a dialog box? Since adding that feature in, I always put the messages to the output window.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Onoitsu2   USA  (248 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Sat 14 Oct 2006 08:36 AM (UTC)
I think that they should go to a box still, by default, as it is more informative, as it JUMPS right out at you, unlike something sent to the output area, that can just scroll by if connected to a MUD. I think perhaps a check box within the error messages to disable them showing in a box is a very nice idea. Sort of like a typical Message of the day, don't show the message of the day, type of thing.

Hope you understand what I mean, but once UN-Checked, or checked, by whatever description you give it, it should toggle the errors to output.

Laterzzz,
Onoitsu2
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Sat 14 Oct 2006 10:38 AM (UTC)
One thing I've noticed about error messages is that even though I've set the option to note them in the scripting dialog, plugin errors are still being sent to a popup.

And I'd say that output notes by default is a better idea. I am speaking from the point of view of an IRE "combat system" scripter - getting hit by error dialogs in the middle of a real-time (as opposed to turn based) fight can be heart attack inducing. Notes are less disruptive, and there's less chance of losing the error message due to needing to click the OK button to avoid death at the hands of some horrible monster.

And while we are at it - errors for plugins seem to lack the name of the originating plugin. This is especially bad when using required modules in Lua, since then you get the name of the module that caused the error, leaving you absolutely no chances of telling which one out of a dozen plugins that require that module the error occured in.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Sat 14 Oct 2006 10:37 PM (UTC)

In future, the dialog box, if you are using it, offers you the chance to redirect future messages to the output window, with a checkbox.

Also, the error message will indicate which world, or plugin, originated it.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

22,859 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]