[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Crash in version 4.03!

Crash in version 4.03!

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Wed 18 Apr 2007 06:19 AM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 18 Apr 2007 06:22 AM (UTC) by Shadowfyr

On connecting, it sets a variable to ID me as starting for the day. Later I do "setquit on", which activates a trigger and sends an inventory command. This command tests to see if my inventory contains any items other than those that autoload, like my druid belt. If none are found, it turns on an alias that lets me type "quit". Typing Quit actually sends xyzzq to the mud, which is aliased to "quit", while the normal quit command it disabled. This is to prevent my logging off when still carrying equipment.

Everything works fine, until I type "quit" (or the aliased xyzzq command), then the client attempts to disconnect and crashes. Not sure if its something that changed with scripts (mine are all vbscript though) or something else. :(

This is in the new 4.03 btw.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Wed 18 Apr 2007 06:40 AM (UTC)
I am having trouble understanding which part is causing the crash. Can you try to narrow it down? Is it the alias? If so, can you post it? Is it something to do with scripting? Is it a trigger firing?

Something that helps to reproduce it would be helpful.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Wed 18 Apr 2007 06:48 AM (UTC)
There are a number of changes that might potentially cause problems:

• New Lua DLL - although you say you aren't using Lua
  • New PCRE regular expression handler - all aliases and triggers go through this
  • New management of default directories (eg. world files) - maybe it might happen on saving the world

It would help if you can work out which part is probably causing the problem. Eg. save the world manually, change the wording of the alias so it doesn't disconnect but still fires, that sort of thing.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Wed 18 Apr 2007 06:56 AM (UTC)
I have no clue what is causing it. Even if I just type "xyzzq", without going through the normal process, the client just crashes, and without displaying any of the lines that normally appear when logging out. I suspect, its crashing the moment the mud disconnects, so the output window never has a chance to update with the last lines. It *may* be somehow involved with logs, since you changed that too, and I started using the global setting for the log directory prior to this.

In other words, if I am right, then the client sends the quit command, detects that the connection closed, then attempts to close the log file and *boom!*. But that is just a guess.

Hmm. Ok, a new world using it doesn't cause the problem either, not even after setting the auto-log. So the problem seems to be some place else. Sigh... It crashed instead when I tried to close the client this time, so it may be in scripting, all of which is vbscript for me. Not sure if its some odd general problem that just cropped up or some specific plugin/script operation though. Its like 12am here, so I don't have time to really fiddle with it and find out. :(
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Wed 18 Apr 2007 07:02 AM (UTC)
BTW, something changed recently on the server your site is on. Instead of a post returning to the "page" you posted from, its instead displays the updated page with the new post, but with a URL of "http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php";. The result is that if you click on "reload" it tries to repost the message or something and can't display the page a second time, since there is no subject ID to tell the database *which* post is being dealt with. This means you have to back out to the "Bug Reports" section entirely, then reload the page from the original post link. This is in Firefox, so I have no idea if the behavior is also broken in anything else. Its starting to annoy me though, since it used to work right, but for the last 4-5 days its been broken. :(
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Wed 18 Apr 2007 07:09 AM (UTC)
It has always done that. Directly after posting, reloading the page re-sends the post. There is a test on the forum to discard double-posts if someone has done that.

Click on the "Refresh page" link at the bottom of a forum page to refresh it, that is safer.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Wed 18 Apr 2007 07:11 AM (UTC)
I'm trying to reproduce but no success so far. I have tried aliases, triggers, forcing a disconnect (Connection menu), typing "quit". So far, nothing.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Wed 18 Apr 2007 07:13 AM (UTC)
See if you can narrow it down to a particular plugin (eg. remove them one by one). Also try disabling all triggers and aliases (and scripting), see if that makes a difference.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Wed 18 Apr 2007 07:14 AM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 18 Apr 2007 07:20 AM (UTC) by Shadowfyr

Ok, have you tried loading an older pre-Lua vbscript based plugin or script, then trying it to disconnect, etc.? Maybe somehow something got glitched in the VBscript load/unload.. Hmm. Going to have to wait for tomorrow to nose through this mess on my end and see if I can find it. Got to get to sleep. :(

BTW, I do think the forum is behaving different though, I distinctly remember it *including* the "?bbsubject_id=7814&page=1" part in the URL *after* a post before, or I think so. I certainly don't remember it a) double posting or b) forgetting what page I was on and only showing the "http:.../bbshowpost.php" part without the thread number or current page. :p
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Wed 18 Apr 2007 07:21 AM (UTC)
I tried the Chat plugin, which is VBscript. Still no problems. You say it doesn't happen with a new world, so we need to work out what it is in your main one that does it.

Like I said, try disabling various things, until the crash goes away (save a copy of the world, and do it to that).

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Wed 18 Apr 2007 07:24 AM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 18 Apr 2007 07:34 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

I do think the forum is behaving different though ...

Not so sure about that. When you submit a new posting, it is a "post" method rather than a "get" method. The post method (ie. clicking the button) does not send the subject ID on the URL. I have noticed that for ages. Directly after making a post, I have to go up a level and drop back down, to see what the subject ID is (thread number), because it has just been allocated.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #11 on Wed 18 Apr 2007 07:26 AM (UTC)
I've seen the same behavior Nick has, I haven't noticed any changes at all in the forum.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Wed 18 Apr 2007 07:30 AM (UTC)
Let me show you, the forum hasn't even been changed this year. This is a directory listing of the forum directory:

-rw-r--r--    1 username   group     13509 Aug 21  2006 bbsearch.php
-rw-r--r--    1 username   group     34188 Aug 21  2006 bbshowpost.php
-rw-r--r--    1 username   group     12461 Jul 20  2006 bbshowbio.php
lrwxrwxrwx    1 username   group        14 Dec  6  2005 index.php -> bbshowpost.php
-rw-r--r--    1 username   group     11815 Dec  5  2005 bbuserlist.php
-rw-r--r--    1 username   group     40917 Dec  5  2005 bbuseredit.php
-rw-r--r--    1 username   group      9043 Dec  5  2005 bbupdatetopic.php
-rw-r--r--    1 username   group      5220 Dec  5  2005 bbupdatesubject.php

The forum changed last in August 2006, which agrees with this announcement about different handling of the URLs:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=7287

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Wed 18 Apr 2007 07:32 AM (UTC)
If anyone else can reproduce a crash I would be happy to hear about it. The last thing we want is buggy versions around.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Shaun Biggs   USA  (644 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #14 on Wed 18 Apr 2007 02:06 PM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 18 Apr 2007 02:10 PM (UTC) by Shaun Biggs

I'm getting crashes too, but on the opposite end of the world connections. With 4.03, I can open MC fine and poke around with the global configurations and all, but when I load up a world file, or even start up a new one, I get a crash. This happens even if I'm using the /wine argument. If I'm reading the error log from wine correctly, Lua was the last thing running. Lua5.1.2 was running fine when I swapped the dlls earlier (last version I was running was 4.01).

Edit: I've switched to 4.02, and everything is running smoothly, so it would appear that the issue was somewhere between 4.02 and 4.03 as Shadowfyr said. I'm going to tinker with 4.03 a bit in a different user account so that it's completely isolated. Hopefully I can get some information out of it.

It is much easier to fight for one's ideals than to live up to them.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

53,216 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]