[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  How to make basic triggers/alias's/substitutes

How to make basic triggers/alias's/substitutes

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Jorake   (8 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 16 Jun 2007 04:02 PM (UTC)
I just started using MUSHclient, and i had gotten news about it from a friend. But the basics page isnt really helping me a whole lot. The most ive figured out how to accomplish is making highlights. But i would like to learn how to make substitutes/alias's/triggers and other things. If someone could just give me some basic learner tips, That would be awesome. Thanks
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Sat 16 Jun 2007 08:19 PM (UTC)
That is such a general question it is hard to answer it. Perhaps if you give a specific example of something you type, and what you want it to send (ie. an alias), or something that arrives, and what you want to do when it arrives (ie. a trigger), we can help more.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Jorake   (8 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Tue 26 Jun 2007 09:55 AM (UTC)
I get frustrated alot and i swap back to my older clients because i just cant figure out how to get the trigs to work for MC. For expample: #ac {^R.I.P.}{get all.coins corpse} 0
is a trigger i use to loot corpses after they die. And the R.I.P. line is what triggers it. I dont know how to do that for MC

I can also do alias's which i understand a bit more each time i try them on MUSH. but for instance:
#alias {VK_F4}{eat all;drink water}
(thats for wintin)
#hotkey {F4}{eat all;drink water}
(thats for JMC)

I also need to learn an easy way to highlight words/names/numbers etc. Instead of clicking on options or triggers or configurations or whatever. On the other clients its really simple. On both JMC/Wintin you can type
#highlight {green}{blahblah}

And i think if i could figure out a quicker/easier way to do those 3 functions, the rest would just fall into place.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shaun Biggs   USA  (644 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Tue 26 Jun 2007 01:30 PM (UTC)
Those are all quite easy to do if you flip through the documentation. These are both links off of MUSHclient's front page: http://www.gammon.com.au/mushclient/aliases.htm and http://www.gammon.com.au/mushclient/triggers.htm

For the alias, you just go to Game->Configure->Aliases (or press ctl-shift-9) and put VK_F4 in the "match" section, then enter the commands sent in the "send" field. Don't use command separators in the send field, an enter means sending a new line.

Hotkeys are set with Macros (ctl-shift-2) for any of the function keys. Keypad keys are set with the keypad menu (ctl-shift-1).

For highlighting, just set up a trigger (ctl-shift-8) and don't put anything in the send field, just modify the "Change colour and style to" part however you want. You can have the text bold, underlined, in italics, any colour for text and background you want.

It is much easier to fight for one's ideals than to live up to them.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Onoitsu2   USA  (248 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Tue 26 Jun 2007 08:03 PM (UTC)
You misunderstood Shaun, the VK_F4 is a "virtual key called F4", he is attempting to make a "macro" in this case...

Hope that clarifies something a little more.

Laterzzz,
Onoitsu2
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Tue 26 Jun 2007 09:15 PM (UTC)

I get frustrated alot and i swap back to my older clients because i just cant figure out how to get the trigs to work for MC. For expample: #ac {^R.I.P.}{get all.coins corpse} 0
is a trigger i use to loot corpses after they die. And the R.I.P. line is what triggers it. I dont know how to do that for MC

I don't understand the confusion here. To make a trigger that matches "R.I.P.<something>" and sends "get all.coins corpse", you go into the trigger configuration dialog (Shift+Ctrl+8 is one way of getting there), and enter:

Match: R.I.P.*
Send: get all.coins corpse

Then hit OK to save the trigger. What is confusing about it?

The thing about MUSHclient is that it is not another Tintin clone, with a GUI interface wrapped around it. It was designed from the ground up to have a GUI interface, and hopefully be easier to use than having to memorise command-line commands.

Quote:

I can also do alias's which i understand a bit more each time i try them on MUSH. but for instance:
#alias {VK_F4}{eat all;drink water}

Find the Macros configuration dialog (Shift+Ctrl+2 is one way), and scroll down until you see the line for F4.

Edit that, and put "eat all;drink water" into the "send" box.

For the semicolon to work the way you want make sure you have enabled Command Stacking in the Input -> Commands configuration dialog.

Quote:

I also need to learn an easy way to highlight words/names/numbers etc. Instead of clicking on options or triggers or configurations or whatever. On the other clients its really simple. On both JMC/Wintin you can type
#highlight {green}{blahblah}

• Double-click the word you want to highlight (or click and drag to select it).

• Under the Game menu choose Highlight Word (Ctrl+Alt+H).

• The word(s) you selected are entered into the dialog box for you (or just type them in).

• Choose the colour you want to change it to (text and background colour).

• Hit OK.

This simple process actually creates a trigger - you can always edit the trigger later to change the word, or the highlighted colour.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by ReallyCurious   USA  (50 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Sat 30 Jun 2007 01:01 AM (UTC)
Also I think if you are looking for on-the-fly triggers/aliases you can get that with addxml.

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/bbshowpost.php?id=7764&page=2

Nick's first post there describes how to use addxml. It works fine for any simple trigger you want to create. If you want to create an alias this way you will have to make a few changes but it's basically the same.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Isildur   (12 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Fri 03 Aug 2007 01:57 AM (UTC)
Having been a long time MM user, I can sympathize with Jorake. It has taken me two days of goofing off, googling, and trial-and-error to figure out how things work. When you come from the old standby clients like Tin-Tin and MM, you have a certain expectation of how things should work.

Fortunately, Nick has managed to NOT make Yet Another Tin-Tin Clone (YATTC), but (IMHO) has made a first rate client with more power and options than I have ever seen. Unfortunately, the documentation has been written from the perspective of someone intimately familiar with the program, and with a slant on explaining syntax more than explaining procedures to do things.

I found it difficult to "figure" things out to begin with. This program is so ingeniously created, that it is hard to see the forest for all the trees in the way. I think a doc comparing how to do some basic things (create alias, create trigger, create gags, etc.) would be helpful. Example: The triggers section in the help file is very clear about syntax and options, but not so clear on how to implement them.

Quote:
Adding something like this would help: To add a trigger, press Alt+Enter, then click 'Triggers' under the 'Appearance ' section. Click 'Add'. Now place the text which will trigger the action in the 'Trigger' field. Place the commands or text you want to send when triggered in the 'Send' box, separate commands by placing each one on a new line (a carriage return will be sent to the mud after each command). For a gag, follow the same directions, omit putting anything in the 'Send' box, then check the 'Omit from Output' box. This will block the triggered text from being displayed.

This gives the uninitiated a quick intro to a specific task without getting bogged down in syntax.

This has just been my humble opinion and should not be misconstrued as criticism in anyway. I found that after a little experimenting and perseverance, this will be my client of choice from now on and I thank Nick (and anyone else who may be responsible for this client) for a job well done.

isildur

PS I play on Aardwolf and Medievia and will help anyone as I am able with the muds and with the MUSHclient on those muds. I am a novice at both though, so your mileage may vary a great deal. :)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Fri 03 Aug 2007 03:28 AM (UTC)
Good idea - I'll see if I can do some "getting started" posts.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Fri 03 Aug 2007 04:52 AM (UTC)
The Online Documentation / help is already quite good. It just needs some better examples through screenshots in my opinion. Having links to whatever posts are put in for basic tutorials would help too, since you really don't want someone new searching through the forums forever trying to hunt down some help and giving up. It's why I like that help page setup. It's pretty easy to find things, and it's right off the forums page.

I think a combination between http://www.gammon.com.au/mushclient/aliases.htm and http://www.gammon.com.au/scripts/doc.php?general=aliases would be the most helpful. Very good descriptions coupled with uncluttered screen examples.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Isildur   (12 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Fri 03 Aug 2007 05:02 AM (UTC)
Shaun hit closer to the mark with the screen shot idea. A combination of screen shots with the help files would be a great start for those new to MUSHclient and new to MUDding in general.

I'd be glad to help with some rough draft ideas, but my lack of experience with the client would definitely need a more experienced eye to polish it up. On the other hand, someone once told me that the best teachers are ofttimes the ones who have just learned the material. :)

Anyway, count me in if you need a hand. Even if it is just proofreading and whatnot, I'd love to contribute anyway you need. It's a small price to pay for an excellent program.

isildur

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Fri 03 Aug 2007 08:22 AM (UTC)
I've been kicking around an idea of making a scripting tutorial for a while. I guess this should get me motivated to start up with something a bit simpler. I'm currently getting the Gimp to start mucking about with screenshots and such as I'm typing this post. Hopefully I can be a lot more eloquent than normal and come up with a coherent tutorial site. I'll post a link when I think I've started to make sense.

I figure Nick already has enough time dedicated to making our insane ideas work in the client... And I hope he doesn't mind me plagiarizing his previous posts.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Fri 03 Aug 2007 11:48 AM (UTC)

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #13 on Sat 04 Aug 2007 01:08 AM (UTC)
If someone really wanted to be ambitious, one could code a loop-back tutorial system... Hmm, OK, actually I can see one issue with that, there is not way that I know of letting the client "connect" to itself, as though it was connecting to a server. Though, maybe if you trapped the error from a failed connection, so you could set some arbitrary local address and port, which you know won't connect, detect the failure in a plugin, then proceed as though it "did" connect..

Do we have some way to turn off Mushclient's normal connection fail dialogs and detect if it fails when it tries one?

Anyway. Point is, you set up a tutorial, which feeds notes to the display, and uses "simulate" to make it look like you are connected to a mud. Then you step them through the process, like:

"Ok, lets start with getting you on a MUD. We are going to connect you to arbitrarymud.com, which doesn't really exist, but which will allow me to teach you the basics. First, go to ..."

This is where inline pictures would have been nice BTW, since you could add, "go to this menu item, or look for the [] symbol on the icon bar and click there.", se'la'vie...

But, basically, walk them through setting up their connection, logging in, making simple triggers for the text that arrives from the the fake mud, etc. Other than making it look like the connection is working, when its faked, this wouldn't be all that impossible to do with this client. And for that matter, Nick could even add some code to cause the client to "treat" the connection as though it did happen, when some predetermined, and unlikely "name" is in the field, like 'testmud.test', assuming there isn't a way already. I don't see one. Mind you, something like the loop-back proxy I made would work too, if included as part of the "tutorial" world file. That might even be easier, except that some people would be confused by using 127.0.0.1, instead of a name. Does "localhost" work the same by default, or do you have to make a program aware of what it means?

This would be imho, quite doable I think.
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #14 on Sat 04 Aug 2007 03:37 AM (UTC)
Sorry, you just triggered the Frenchman in me; that would be "c'est la vie", not "se'la'vie". :-) (Sorry, just couldn't resist.)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

79,377 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]