[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Wine
. . -> [Subject]  WINE + MUSHCLIENT = No multiline triggers :(

WINE + MUSHCLIENT = No multiline triggers :(

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Keirath   (10 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 27 May 2008 07:15 PM (UTC)
So this is more than frustrating. I go to set up triggers and I can't hit enter in the response box. I have to cut and paste something else that is multiline into the box. Any idea why the enter key won't work? Same thing in aliases etc. Basically, any multi-line box in MUSHclient.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shaun Biggs   USA  (644 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 27 May 2008 07:48 PM (UTC)
Which field specifically are you trying to put a new line in? Is it the "Trigger" or "Send" field? Sometimes a newline escape code is required. The only time I ever wind up with this problem is with the test input window.

Also, which version of Wine and MUSHclient are you using?

It is much easier to fight for one's ideals than to live up to them.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Tue 27 May 2008 08:42 PM (UTC)

Wine: wine-0.9.59

MUSHclient: 4.19
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Tue 27 May 2008 09:41 PM (UTC)
First, some boxes are designed to not "receive" a return (for example, the command window, where you type something and hit <return>).

For such boxes, you can hit Ctrl+Enter. Or you should be able to, I can't get that to work right now running Ubuntu on the Mac under Parallels. ;) However I suspect that is a keyboard remapping issue.

Further testing on a PC running Ubuntu natively also exhibits this behaviour, I will have to investigate this. However on Windows, pressing Ctrl+Enter forces the entry of a newline, even into a box that is not "expecting" it.

On to your query, I am using Wine 0.9.33. The boxes work as designed for me, except I can't use Ctrl+Enter in the couple of places I expect to.

The trigger field does not expect multiple-line input, as you normally trigger on a single line. You can hit the "..." button to bring up a larger window, and if you need to - however it still does not expect a line break. For multi-line triggers you put \n into the trigger match field to signify a line break.

The send field however expects you to type multiple lines, and this works for me under Ubuntu running Wine. This applies to both triggers and aliases.

Which type and version of Linux are you using?

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Tue 27 May 2008 10:17 PM (UTC)
Further research seems to show potential problems with the way Wine handles the Ctrl+Enter combination.

Various messages on forums seem to be complaining about it, so it is not really a MUSHclient issue, as one that affects Wine.

However as I said, this should not stop you typing in multiple lines into the Send box for triggers and aliases, that seems to work for me, as you don't need to use Ctrl+Enter there.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Tue 27 May 2008 10:43 PM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Tue 27 May 2008 11:07 PM (UTC)
Have you tried typing multiple lines into the Send box? I am not having a problem doing that here.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Wed 28 May 2008 02:05 AM (UTC)
OK, well I installed Hardy Heron in another emulator window, and confirmed that the bug still persisted with wine 0.9.63 or whatever the lastest version was that came with Heron.

However, by upgrading to Wine release 1.0-rc2 the problem went away, so it is a bug in Wine, definitely. You can upgrade by following the instructions on this page:

http://www.winehq.org/site/download-deb

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Wed 28 May 2008 04:14 AM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

27,256 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]