[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Miniwindows
. . -> [Subject]  Examples of what you can do with miniwindows

Examples of what you can do with miniwindows

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  3  4  

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Tue 02 Sep 2008 11:55 PM (UTC)
Below are some screenshots of a plugin I am working on, to show inventory details. Notice the tabbed window - each tab is a hotspot, and if you click on it, the window is redrawn with the appropriate inventory items filtered into the main view. The filtering reduces the amount of space needed to show the entire inventory, as well as grouping thing together logically.

Also, as you mouse-over each item, a "rollover" window appears which gives more details about that item, resized to exactly fit what needs to be said:

The second screenshot shows how the rollover window is smaller, for a different item. Also in the main inventory window you can see multiple items (5 x Ring of Demonslaying):

There is also provision for managing multiple "pages" of inventory, by clicking on the "Next" or "Previous" buttons to scroll through the inventory.

The third screenshot shows an example of responding to mousedown/mouseup. This pops up an "action" menu so you can choose what to do with this item:

The popup menu code is not available yet - this will be released in MUSHclient version 4.37.

Another rollover window appears if you mouse-over the inventory header - this shows a summary of the inventory contents (or bag contents, as in this case):

Predictable behaviour of the actions has been facilitated by extra code being added to Aardwolf by Lasher, which gives each item a unique "id" (which is shown at the bottom of the rollover window). This removes confusion about dropping 2.sword or wearing 4.shield, which can be hard to manage if you pick up and remove items.

This plugin is not available yet, it is a work in progress, however I hope that what has been achieved so far will inspire other plugin authors to do similar things for their MUDs.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by WillFa   USA  (525 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Wed 03 Sep 2008 12:17 AM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Wed 03 Sep 2008 12:25 AM (UTC)
I'm definately inspired. And looking forward to seeing a chatwindow come out since that one has a lot of potential as well in my eyes. =)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Erendir   Germany  (47 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Wed 03 Sep 2008 12:33 PM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 03 Sep 2008 12:34 PM (UTC) by Erendir

i was thinking about such a plugin, to make MUD look out more Diablo-like, first with MXP, later with miniwindows. But what You already made is really great!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Tsunami   USA  (204 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Wed 03 Sep 2008 01:48 PM (UTC)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Larkin   (278 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Wed 03 Sep 2008 09:01 PM (UTC)
I, too, am impressed and inspired! Now, where can we get Lua code (OOP, right?) that will do these types of things for us more easily? :)
[Go to top] top

Posted by WillFa   USA  (525 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Wed 03 Sep 2008 10:51 PM (UTC)
Hey Larkin, my InfoBox lua module actually started as nick's HP Bar plugin (I think the If Percent then GoodColour else BadColour still is recognizable, especially all the Aussie U's in Colour all over the place. ;))

I'll probably end up doing the same thing when he makes this plugin available.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Norbert   USA  (61 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #7 on Thu 04 Sep 2008 04:16 AM (UTC)
The miniwindow showing "The Grand City of Aylor" is that output from the mud or is that a plugin mapper?

Norbert

-Do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot?
Of course you don't, no one does. It never happens
It's a dumb question... skip it.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Rob W.   (6 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #8 on Thu 04 Sep 2008 10:58 AM (UTC)
Output from the MUD (Continent map), being directed to another window.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Rob W.   (6 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Thu 04 Sep 2008 10:59 AM (UTC)
Err.. that's the overhead map, sorry (I'm a bit sleepy)... the continent map is a whole 'nuther beast. Answer is the same, it's MUD output.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Cage_fire_2000   USA  (119 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #10 on Thu 04 Sep 2008 10:45 PM (UTC)
OMG, that's so cool, I /really/ need to start learning Lua, but I find myself falling asleep when I try to read the documentation, they really drone on, is there anything out there that just shows a side by side comparison of the syntax in one language and the syntax in Lua? I'd find that a bit more useful to start with(I could learn the more advanced stuff later) than it trying to explain it all to me like I just started coding yesterday. Also something with examples would be good. I can't really think of how a plugin like this would be immediately useful to me on the game I play(at least at the moment, I'm sure I could think of something), but it's still awesome. Hmm, to display the equipment data, does it use the same request/trigger method as the Grab plugin, or does it store the relevant data in memory, or is that just the output from the game put into the window?
[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #11 on Thu 04 Sep 2008 11:07 PM (UTC)
Have you tried PiL? http://www.lua.org/pil/
You might have to start skimming from time to time but it's much better for getting a quick introduction to the language than the manual (which is really a reference and not a guide). It also has several examples. It doesn't have a syntax comparison but frankly you shouldn't need one if you go through the book just a little bit and look at the examples.

And yes, I've already told Nick, but these examples are stupendous.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Swalec   (24 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #12 on Thu 06 Nov 2008 10:02 AM (UTC)

How do you get the ID tags for equipment? I'm guessing that you can use normal commands on them (get, take etc). I'd love to have access to these for my own scripts, but can't find out where they come from.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #13 on Fri 07 Nov 2008 06:12 AM (UTC)
Lasher has been adding some extra commands to support them - I'm not sure if they are on the live server yet. We are still in the process of working out what information needs to be exchanged between client and server, so the design may be subject to change.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Onoitsu2   USA  (248 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #14 on Sat 08 Nov 2008 04:42 AM (UTC)
OMFG! I have been away for so very long, only to check in on what has been accomplished in the newer versions, and ... WOW. I cannot believe all the new features that have been added, , plugins for Aardwolf, and all that Mushclient can now do.

When I have time to look into how to use these features I will have to learn my arse off.

-Onoitsu2
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

147,881 views.

This is page 1, subject is 4 pages long: 1 2  3  4  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]