[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  World file won't open

World file won't open

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Hanaisse   Canada  (114 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Sat 02 May 2009 05:02 PM (UTC)
I'm not sure if this is a bug, it could very well be my own newbiness.

I just upgraded from 4.37 to 4.40 and lost all my triggers, aliases and timers when I logged into my world. The plug-ins weren't loaded, but at least they can be easily reloaded.

My understanding is trigs and aliases are saved in the world.mcl file, so I'm confused how an upgrade would touch those files. I'm also positive the world file was saved as I'm using the auto-save timer.

Did I do something wrong?

aka: Hana
Owner in Training of: Fury of the Gods
alm-dev.org:4000
[Go to top] top

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Sat 02 May 2009 08:21 PM (UTC)
I am not sure why that would happen. Global plugins not loading I can somewhat imagine if the settings in in the registry didn't transfer over properly to the new sqlite prefs database. But the other things really confuse me. Did you get any error messages? ('cannot load whatever.xml' or something like that)

After the discussion in that other thread about the current directory, I can't help but think the startup directory might have changed, causing some files not to be loaded properly (relative paths and all).
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sat 02 May 2009 09:51 PM (UTC)
No, no error messages at all, although after launching the client and opening my world it hung. I had to force a connection through quick-connect.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #3 on Sat 02 May 2009 10:43 PM (UTC)
First, if you "force a connection through quick connect" you have made a different world file, haven't you? That wouldn't have any of your earlier triggers in it.

The original world file, if it still exists (that is, if you haven't overwritten it), should still have everything in it. I would open that up in a text editor and see if you can see heaps of things after <triggers> in the world file.

There was a recent discussion about someone who had MUSHclient hang upon opening.

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=9399

It was a problem with a trigger matching an empty string. You can edit the world file with a text editor and disable triggers temporarily (as described in that thread), which might help.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sun 03 May 2009 03:58 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 03 May 2009 05:59 PM (UTC) by Hanaisse

The world was overwritten when I put the auto-save timer back in :/

The only thing I can think of that relates to that other article for target/variables is that I used the "target" trigger (FAQ 21 and 22 I think). Such a simple trigger. One would assume it would save the variable as the last target specified and not leave it empty?

I'll try to recreate it.

Edit: Findings so far.

Note - I changed the subject title as it has nothing to do with the upgrade as I originally thought.

Couple of things so far. First, I found the world file with all the triggers/aliases, etc that I wanted. Interestingly enough I found it in;

E:\Program Files\MUSHclient\worlds\plugins
instead of the directory above it
E:\Program Files\MUSHclient\worlds

I stumbled across this when I created a new 'test' world and saved it, noticing it defaulted to the plugins directory. In the test world I only recreated the target trigger and it opened fine again afterward, so that can't be it.

Next, I followed the instructions in the article above, I copied the original file back into the worlds directory, opened it in Notepad and changed the enable_aliases, enable_triggers, enable_scripts, enable_timers to "n".

It still won't open. I go to Open World, select that file and nothing happens, it doesn't even open and hang any more. There's no error messages anywhere.

I'm not sure what to look for next.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #5 on Sun 03 May 2009 07:54 PM (UTC)
That sounds really odd. Can you upload the file (sanitized, no passwords but still showing the symptoms!) to a pastebin or some online file storage facility so we can download it and look in it? Right now, it's all guesswork...
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #6 on Sun 03 May 2009 09:11 PM (UTC)

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Sun 03 May 2009 09:31 PM (UTC)
Maybe it opened but is not visible? Try going to Window menu -> Cascade.

Or, once it is opened can you press Alt+Enter to bring up the configuration?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Sun 03 May 2009 10:50 PM (UTC)

Amended on Sun 03 May 2009 10:54 PM (UTC) by Hanaisse

No, the window isn't hidden. I already cascade as I usually have a couple of different worlds open at a time.

BUT! I solved the problem, in a twisted roundabout way.

The existing file name was Fury Newest2.MCL. (Fury<space>Newest2, cause you can't quite tell here). I changed the file name to Fury_Newest2.MCL to upload it here;

http://fury.jelly-wars.com/Fury_Newest2.MCL

Feel free to take a look, there might be other things wrong with it.

Anyway, I took a chance and opened world Fury_Newest2.MCL and it opened!!

I don't believe the file name was the problem, as I also have Fury Newest.MCL that I use for my Imm char that opens just fine.

So, any guesses? :)

[Go to top] top

Posted by Zeno   USA  (2,871 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #9 on Sun 03 May 2009 11:39 PM (UTC)
If you copy it and name it the filename that didn't work, is it still broken?

Zeno McDohl,
Owner of Bleached InuYasha Galaxy
http://www.biyg.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Mon 04 May 2009 01:25 AM (UTC)
Yes, it's still broken if I rename it back.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Tue 05 May 2009 08:45 PM (UTC)
The reason I asked about the filename is that, I recall from years ago, with some world file names, if you tried to open them, the "file open" dialog box would fail, and thus MUSHclient thought you had tried to open the file, and clicked on Cancel.

This is, naturally, not behaviour I coded in myself, but I found with some operating systems (Windows 98 perhaps) that certain characters in a filename caused this behaviour. I didn't think space was a problem, but I suggest you work around it by not using spaces in your filenames.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

31,013 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]