[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  Forum
. -> [Folder]  Test
. . -> [Subject]  Testing templates

Testing templates

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1  2 3  4  5  

Posted by WillFa   USA  (525 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #15 on Wed 19 Aug 2009 07:49 AM (UTC)
side note: I really like the logo.png any thoughts about updating the exe's icon?

[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #16 on Wed 19 Aug 2009 03:31 PM (UTC)
I think this is a pretty nifty feature :-)

Now that the forum tags are detected for you (whether or not you check the button), maybe the button should indicate "do *not* use forum codes"? I guess that would be complicated for editing old posts vs. making new posts, where you said the detection logic is different.

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Hanaisse   Canada  (114 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #17 on Wed 19 Aug 2009 07:50 PM (UTC)
First time I read this post they were just plain text. Now with the boxes/colours etc it looks much more professional (and pretty!).

Constructive criticism time :) I noticed in another post someone already used one of these templates. That's great, I think they're very useful, however, the larger ones with a lot of text tend to make the post a little clunky looking. If they were maybe wider instead of fixed width it might look better and not cause the entire reply to look so long? Just my thought on the matter.

aka: Hana
Owner in Training of: Fury of the Gods
alm-dev.org:4000
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #18 on Wed 19 Aug 2009 09:36 PM (UTC)

First time I read this post they were just plain text.

The look improves when the stylesheet reloads. If anyone else is not getting nice boxes, refresh the page in your browser, which forces style.css file to be reloaded from the forum server.

Quote:

... the larger ones with a lot of text tend to make the post a little clunky looking.

I know the one you mean. I fixed up the [codetag] tag because I think that will be used a lot, and it is quite wordy. I made a forum page to explain in detail what it was getting at, and changed the tag to point to it.

Also I made the boxes slightly wider. Without any width at all they tend to look a bit big.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Hanaisse   Canada  (114 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #19 on Wed 19 Aug 2009 09:54 PM (UTC)
It looks great. You really do a wonderful job with this forum and the support to the community who use it. :)

aka: Hana
Owner in Training of: Fury of the Gods
alm-dev.org:4000
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #20 on Wed 19 Aug 2009 10:07 PM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 19 Aug 2009 10:28 PM (UTC) by WillFa

Would you consider changing the width: 450px; to margin-right: 4em; ?

When looking at the page in a maximized browser window, there's so much dead space to the right of the tag, making you scroll more to get to the actual content.

For example look at the [regexp] template. There's a lot of text that can wrap with the browser.

Template:regexp Regular expressions
  • Regular expressions (as used in triggers and aliases) are documented on the Regular expression tips forum page.
  • Also see how Lua string matching patterns work, as documented on the Lua string.find page.

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #21 on Wed 19 Aug 2009 10:19 PM (UTC)

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #22 on Wed 19 Aug 2009 10:30 PM (UTC)

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #23 on Thu 20 Aug 2009 03:14 AM (UTC)

I really like the logo.png any thoughts about updating the exe's icon?

It's roughly the same icon. Do you mean the .exe icon is a bit rough? It's old, maybe it is feeling its age.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #24 on Thu 20 Aug 2009 05:15 AM (UTC)
http://cid-73890baf188d56e7.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/MCForum/mcicon.png

Yea, the matting doesn't scale up well now.

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #25 on Thu 20 Aug 2009 05:53 AM (UTC)

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #26 on Thu 20 Aug 2009 06:00 AM (UTC)
Actually that doesn't look like the icon I have defined in the code for the 48x48 pixel icon. I think my development environment might be too old.

I know, we can say it is a "retro" look, because MUDs are so old. ;)

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Blainer   (191 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #27 on Thu 20 Aug 2009 11:28 PM (UTC)
Can I suggest a new tag for a direct link to a forum post.
This came up because my latest plugin uses another plugin that a user may not have and I wanted to put a link to that plugin's forum post.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #28 on Thu 20 Aug 2009 11:37 PM (UTC)
Template:post=9650 Please see the forum thread: http://gammon.com.au/forum/?id=9650.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by David Haley   USA  (3,881 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #29 on Fri 21 Aug 2009 01:57 AM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 21 Aug 2009 01:58 AM (UTC) by David Haley

One thing I like in some forum software is that you can quote a message with attribution. The forum code looks like this:

[quote=David]Hello there[/quote]

The rendered text is something like:

Quote:
David said:
Hello there

I think it would be kind of nice to have something similar here, and the templates would make the quoted text stand out very nicely from the poster's text -- sometimes it gets hard to tell who wrote what (even with the indent). Also, having a name in there makes it easier to quote several people in the same post, as you can attribute each paragraph correctly.

If this isn't hard, I think it'd be nifty. :-)

David Haley aka Ksilyan
Head Programmer,
Legends of the Darkstone

http://david.the-haleys.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

187,596 views.

This is page 2, subject is 5 pages long:  [Previous page]  1  2 3  4  5  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]