[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Tips and tricks
. . -> [Subject]  How to install MUSHclient on Windows 7

How to install MUSHclient on Windows 7

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1  2 3  4  

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #15 on Thu 17 Dec 2009 07:16 PM (UTC)

If anyone would like, I can create a NSIS-based installer for MUSHclient that will install it in, let's say, "C:\Games" which will also bypass all of these steps. Honestly, that's where I install all games anyway, so I had never realized it was an issue.

On a side note, Nick, how hard would it be to change the source so that it stores all user-based files in <account>\Documents\Games? That would also make it much much easier to use on multi-user computers (such as mine).

If you can do this, please, PLEASE don't hard-code the location of that folder. I have my Documents folder stored on a separate drive from my Windows install, specifically because that way if my Windows drive dies, I lose absolutely nothing. Windows knows where it is, though, and sets environment variables accordingly.

I need to look at NSIS anyway to try to update the way installation works, so I'll take a look at that now.

As for the source, most locations are already stored as variables, like:

• Plugins
  • World files
  • Logs

It shouldn't be too much trouble to make that work.

As for hard-coding, don't worry. On some of my PCs I don't use standard folders either.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nash   USA  (20 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #16 on Wed 30 Dec 2009 05:41 PM (UTC)
I don't know if this is something I did wrong, but is there a reason my windows7 mushclient copy won't remember its previous location/dimensions, whereas my vista copy will?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #17 on Thu 31 Dec 2009 03:35 AM (UTC)
It stores its screen locations in a file MUSHclient.ini in the same directory as MUSHclient.exe.

If this is not writable, which it probably won't be under Windows 7, it can't save the screen locations.

I suggest you move the whole MUSHclient install directory to somewhere writable, such as your Documents folder, and run from there (you may need to change the shortcut that starts it up, or make another one pointing to the right place).

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nash   USA  (20 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #18 on Fri 01 Jan 2010 06:40 AM (UTC)
I did that and it didn't work, BUT... I realized for some reason when you do the dragging stretch with the pulsing blue circles that makes it expand the opposite side, it won't save it. I moved everything back to the programs x86 folder, and didn't stretch the window to the VERY edge of the screen and it saves it... go go gadget 7?

Thank you!
[Go to top] top

Posted by YmerejO42   USA  (25 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #19 on Sun 03 Jan 2010 07:38 PM (UTC)
Any updates on the NSIS installer, Nick? If you'd like, I can post the code that I use. Doesn't use the MC icon, but it wouldn't be hard to change that. Mostly it just compresses everything in the source directory, storing relative pathnames, then when you install it, it puts everything into the folder you choose (default for my installer is C:\Games\MUSHclient). Then it creates a Start Menu folder named "MUSHclient" and puts shortcuts to the executable and the uninstaller in there.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Skasai   (5 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #20 on Mon 16 Aug 2010 05:54 PM (UTC)
I know I am coming into this late, since it has been months, but I just tried installing Mushclient on two different Windows 7 systems and got different results. Funny thing was, I never looked at this until now so I never did the standalone part and wondering how I got the mixed results.

The mixed results I gotten, using the standard installer, in both cases, they came up as normal (Including the Help window error, which I didn't care about much). But the mixed results came with the default plugins...

On one computer, the plugins didn't complain about class not registered, but on another system:

loading scripting engine
Plugin: gonienie_pro (called from world: barsawia)
Error -2147221164 occurred when loading scripting engine:

Class not registered

(This is copied from another post, as I don't have the computer with me at the moment but this is the similar error.)

This was with the hyperlink and Newactivity plugin giving me the error. So kinda of confused as to what the problem is.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #21 on Mon 16 Aug 2010 09:41 PM (UTC)
It's working on one PC but not the other because one has a script engine installed that the other does not. I am guessing Python, but it could be Perl or something.

In the case that works, either you installed it for MUSHclient, or some other software (game, utility) installed it for you.

If you edit the plugin "gonienie_pro" (you will need to work out the exact file name, maybe gonienie_pro.xml) with Notepad you will see near the top the script language, like this:

<muclient>
<plugin
   name="Installer_sumcheck"
   author="Nick Gammon"
   id="4a267cd69ba59b5ecefe42d8"
   language="Lua"
   purpose="Sumchecks the MUSHclient installer"
   date_written="2006-08-19 14:48:45"
   requires="3.74"
   version="1.0"
   >

Look for the "language" line.

Then if you are keen to use this plugin you will need to find the appropriate installer, depending on the language.

If it is Python, an installer link is here:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?bbtopic_id=110

However Python can be fiddly to get installed. If you have problems doing it, post another question and a Python expert here may be able to help.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #22 on Mon 16 Aug 2010 09:46 PM (UTC)
Well, in this case, it isn't that plugin, Nick, but the two default plugins that come with Mushclient, that being Hyperlink and NewActivity. The only real difference between the two computers, besides OS builds (Home Premium vs Ultimate), the laptop with Home Premium has UAC set to 2nd from the bottom and the Ultimate has UAC set to 'none'.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #23 on Mon 16 Aug 2010 09:52 PM (UTC)

loading scripting engine
Plugin: gonienie_pro (called from world: barsawia)
Error -2147221164 occurred when loading scripting engine:

Searching for that number on this forum leads me to this post:

http://www.gammon.com.au/forum/?id=7524

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #24 on Mon 16 Aug 2010 10:00 PM (UTC)
Unfortunately, I don't have the computer next to me at the moment, and that was the closest to the error message I got when I did a search to determine what was going on.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #25 on Mon 16 Aug 2010 11:01 PM (UTC)
Well, Hyperlink and NewActivity both use VBscript (the copies I have do anyway). I would check inside your copies to see if they do or if you have a version that uses another language.

So either VBscript isn't installed (or some sort of UAC stops it being usable) or your plugins use a different language.

I don't know enough about Windows 7 to comment - when I tested it under Vmware my Mac ran like a dog (unlike every other operating system that runs under it) so I don't use it much.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #26 on Mon 16 Aug 2010 11:03 PM (UTC)

Amended on Wed 18 Aug 2010 02:55 AM (UTC) by Skasai

I will see if it is UAC... The only other thing I can think of is whether or not it is due to having Curse Client (www.curse.com) with its One-Click installer put in some MDAC/Scripting support in.

Edit - Not UAC related... So trying to get VBScript installed, although Win 7 comes with 5.8 VBScript.

Edit2 -

Error number: -2147221164
Event: loading scripting engine
Description: Error -2147221164 occurred when loading scripting engine:
Raised by: Hyperlink_URL

Class not registered

Called by:

----

That was all I get.

Edit 3 -

I think I might have the solution for this:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7programs/thread/1a4499ae-8bc1-4534-9c6f-4d399ac70d9a

From this thread, there is a mention of computers with McAfee installed. The Win 7 Ultimate computer was a clean, no preload install. The Laptop is a default Dell Preload install with McAfee on it. I will have to check on my computer when I get back and see if this is the issue. Something to consider for not just Win 7, but for other computers.

Last Edit -

Ran the McAfee uninstaller and now it is working properly... *stabs McAfee for poorly designed uninstall procedure*

Thought it was related to Windows 7, but FYI, the current installer will work without an issue from what I saw. Citing Version 4.43 and up.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #27 on Tue 02 Nov 2010 03:23 PM (UTC)
Sorry to resurrect an old topic, Nick, but I noticed that your installer is still installing into Program Files. I'm attaching the code for my NSIS installer, it doesn't ask what folder to install to but it installs into C:\Games so there's no pesky permission issues.

; Script generated with the Venis Install Wizard

; Define your application name
!define APPNAME "MUSHclient"
!define APPNAMEANDVERSION "MUSHclient 4.66"

; Main Install settings
Name "${APPNAMEANDVERSION}"
InstallDir "C:\Games\MUSHclient"
InstallDirRegKey HKLM "Software\${APPNAME}" ""
OutFile "Installers\${APPNAMEANDVERSION}.exe"

; Use compression
SetCompressor /SOLID lzma

; Modern interface settings
!include "MUI.nsh"

!define MUI_ABORTWARNING
!define MUI_ICON "${NSISDIR}\Contrib\Graphics\Icons\modern-install-colorful.ico"
!define MUI_UNICON "${NSISDIR}\Contrib\Graphics\Icons\modern-uninstall-colorful.ico"

!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_WELCOME
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_LICENSE "..\MUSHclient\license.txt"
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_INSTFILES
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_FINISH

!insertmacro MUI_UNPAGE_CONFIRM
!insertmacro MUI_UNPAGE_INSTFILES

; Set languages (first is default language)
!insertmacro MUI_LANGUAGE "English"
!insertmacro MUI_RESERVEFILE_LANGDLL

Section "MUSHclient" Section1

; Set Section properties
	SetShellVarContext all
	SetOverwrite on

; Set Section Files and Shortcuts
	SetOutPath "$INSTDIR\"
	File /r "..\MUSHclient\*.*"
	CreateDirectory "$SMPROGRAMS\MUSHclient"
	CreateShortCut "$SMPROGRAMS\MUSHclient\MUSHclient.lnk" "$INSTDIR\MUSHclient.exe"
	CreateShortCut "$SMPROGRAMS\MUSHclient\ReadMe.lnk" "$INSTDIR\readme.txt"
	CreateShortCut "$SMPROGRAMS\MUSHclient\Uninstall.lnk" "$INSTDIR\uninstall.exe"

SectionEnd

Section -FinishSection

WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\${APPNAME}" "" "$INSTDIR"
	WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}" "DisplayName" "${APPNAME}"
	WriteRegStr HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}" "UninstallString" "$INSTDIR\uninstall.exe"
	WriteUninstaller "$INSTDIR\uninstall.exe"

SectionEnd

;Uninstall section
Section Uninstall

; Set Section properties
	SetShellVarContext all

;Remove from registry...
	DeleteRegKey HKLM "Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\${APPNAME}"
	DeleteRegKey HKLM "SOFTWARE\${APPNAME}"

; Remove directories
	RMDir /r "$SMPROGRAMS\MUSHclient"
	RMDir /r "$INSTDIR\"

SectionEnd

; eof

Also, have you ever decided about putting world/script/plugins into My Documents? If I knew more about coding, I'd offer to change it, but it's way over my head.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #28 on Tue 02 Nov 2010 08:30 PM (UTC)

Sorry to resurrect an old topic, Nick, but I noticed that your installer is still installing into Program Files. I'm attaching the code for my NSIS installer, it doesn't ask what folder to install to but it installs into C:\Games so there's no pesky permission issues.

You can't really do that, on some systems the C: drive doesn't exist (eg. with multiple partitions) or if it does exist you can't write to it.

However I take your point that the installer needs updating.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #29 on Tue 02 Nov 2010 08:37 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 02 Nov 2010 08:38 PM (UTC) by YmerejO42

In my experience, Windows is *ALWAYS* installed on drive C:, unless it's a really messed-up system, and the root has always been writeable. But, since you brought up that point, here's slightly altered code to allow directory selection:

!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_WELCOME
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_LICENSE "..\MUSHclient\license.txt"
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_DIRECTORY                          <~~~ insert this line here
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_INSTFILES
!insertmacro MUI_PAGE_FINISH

That should install everything exactly the way yours does, just not into Program Files with all the issues Vista and Win7 have with that.
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

243,041 views.

This is page 2, subject is 4 pages long:  [Previous page]  1  2 3  4  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]