[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  Undesired gagging due to a typo somewhere

Undesired gagging due to a typo somewhere

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Daniel P   USA  (97 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 28 Jun 2010 08:53 PM (UTC)
Lately, like in the last few weeks, I noticed a lot of lines in the output window are missing various bits like words and spaces and things, and I realised that in every single case, the missing part is prefixed by a < (&lt;) and parts after that will return with a > (&gt;).

Example:
SAY Hi, Daniel. Please type THINK <message>.
> Daniel says, "Hi, Daniel. Please type THINK .

SAY This is the opening < of a tag.
> Daniel says, "This is the opening

When I realised the missing parts were encapsulated in angle-brackets, I figured something must be up in the MCL file itself, where a quotation mark or an unclosed trigger might be occurring, but I'm finding it very difficult to track it down, simply due to the sheer size of the file.

I did try disabling all the triggers and plugins and nothing happened.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to search the MCL file for some unclosed tag or quotation-mark anomaly? I'd hate to have to copy everything over to a new world file one object at a time..but if it comes to that, I guess I'll have to.

If it helps, I'm using Textpad for my manual editing.
Thanks.
-Daniel
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 28 Jun 2010 09:19 PM (UTC)
It's nothing to do with the MCL file - you have MXP or Pueblo turned on, and the MUD is not properly escaping the < character. If you turn on the MXP debugging in the MXP tab to "show errors" you will see a heap of messages appearing about "unknown tag <message>" and so on.

You could ask the MUD to change things like <message> to &lt;message&gt; but they will probably reply "but it works with zMUD".

I seem to recall writing a plugin a while back that converted unknown MXP tags (eg. <message>) to &lt;message&gt; in the input stream, but can't find it right now.

I'm not at my PC right now, but maybe someone who is can write a small plugin that detects <...> and looks up if the ... is in the known list of tags. This won't work for server-defined tags, not sure how to handle that exactly.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Mon 28 Jun 2010 10:12 PM (UTC)
Of course, the simple solution is to turn MXP off. In fact if the MUD doesn't support it, you may have just turned it on by mistake.

If it does, it doesn't support it very well, and you may be better off disabling the MXP option, at least then you will see all of your messages.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Daniel P   USA  (97 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Tue 29 Jun 2010 03:01 AM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 29 Jun 2010 03:08 AM (UTC) by Daniel P

Awesome! Turned it off both here and on the server, as they have a config option for it (Achaea).

This is VERY interesting though. A couple days ago I bugged their MXP system (which they just recently integrated within the last something like two months), saying that their exits weren't being converted to send links, even though all but one of the config messages were saying I had turned it on.

Of course, I never use it anyhow, so it's really no loss to turn it off.

Cool though! I'm really happy it was not me! Heh.

Edit:
Note to Achaea users: if the subdivision system has been acting funky on you, this is also the cause. By using this fix, it now is back to normal. Also applies to the in-game ascii maps doing stuff.

Someone like the IEEE should standardise the whole MXP/Pueblo 'thing.' Too many options and alternatives it seems...
[Go to top] top

Posted by Twisol   USA  (2,257 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #4 on Tue 29 Jun 2010 03:14 AM (UTC)
Achaea should be fine normally, but they do have a bug concerning the CONFIG option. Sometimes you need to give it a nudge. If CONFIG MXP already shows as ON, turn it OFF and then ON again. It's been noticed elsewhere too, and I'm sure it's been reported.

EDIT: That goes the other way, too. If it's OFF and you're getting MXP stuff, turn it ON then OFF again.

'Soludra' on Achaea

Blog: http://jonathan.com/
GitHub: http://github.com/Twisol
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

13,600 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]