[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  Making SMAUGFUSS1,9 Levelless

Making SMAUGFUSS1,9 Levelless

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Kalisto   (2 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 08 Jul 2010 10:41 AM (UTC)
So i was going to go with a bleach\dragonball theme, starting out from smaugfuss1.9 i have worked a ton with dbsaga, my mud im running started out looooonnnggg ago as a dbsaga clone, right now we are in the top 25 muds on mudconnect, so we must be doing something right, but back to the point. i was wondering what it would take to make smaugfuss levelless.

If someone could please help this newb out let me know

Kalisto,
Owner of Dragonball Z Legends
[Go to top] top

Posted by Gatz   (17 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Tue 13 Jul 2010 06:15 PM (UTC)
No one has thrown their hat in the ring for this one, so I figure I'll offer up some advice. You have to ask yourself some questions, and based on those answers you can better understand how you need to design the level-less system.

First, I assume since you said the theme was DBZ/Bleach that there will be a form of power advancement based on some numerical fashion, like power level or battle power, etc. If that is the case, then you have a system with levels, except it isn't a traditional D&D style setup.

At this point, I think it'd be very helpful to help describe the kind of system you want to have. I've seen a lot of DBZ MUDs just stop showing the 'level' field and make the experience field what is displayed. Off the top of my head, it is an int and that might be 'enough' but DB Saga MUDs let people get a very high power level, and I'm not sure if 'just' an int will cover what you want.

Ultimately, you should flesh out how you'd like the system to be first and as you do that, you might find clues to implementing it.

Owner of NarutoMUD, a fun and fast paced Naruto MUD!
Check it out at: http://narutofor.us/ today!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #2 on Tue 13 Jul 2010 09:03 PM (UTC)
There is a lot of code in SmaugFUSS that relates to levels, so it isn't trivial. Removing the messages about levelling up (and perhaps disabling levelling up) might be the simplest.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

8,992 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]