[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Crashing

Crashing

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Pages: 1 2  

Posted by Dontarion   USA  (62 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 08 Oct 2010 04:57 PM (UTC)
I can't remember what version I was on, .53 maybe, but I upgraded to both .63 and .64 and had problems on both.

It seems like every time I am in combat situations I crash. Unfortunately the crash also takes out a portion of my logs so I can't tell what's causing this. If the coding isn't in the trigger, highly unliking, it is in Lua .lua files.

Any suggestions and has anyone had this issue yet?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Twisol   USA  (2,257 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #1 on Fri 08 Oct 2010 05:02 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 08 Oct 2010 05:03 PM (UTC) by Twisol

Can you tell us more about your computer? What OS? 32-bit or 64-bit? What plugins are you using?

'Soludra' on Achaea

Blog: http://jonathan.com/
GitHub: http://github.com/Twisol
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Fri 08 Oct 2010 05:22 PM (UTC)
I'm on Win7 32 bit. Nothing about my coding or plugins has changed since upgrading. Everything was fine before.

Plugins your rift, elixsum, Nick's mapper with upgrades and wholist merged into it, and Worstje's prompt fix.

I'm trying to pinpoint what's causing the crashes still but I haven't yet. However, it's bad enough that I can't do anything in Achaea combat related or I crash (crash not infinite loop). I've had it crash on priests and monks, as well as others, so I'm thinking it's in the Lua and not from triggers firing.

It's also having some weird bug about saving things this time around. I'll make alias changes and it won't save from session to session sometimes even with it setup to save even with variable changes. MUSH used to ask me if I wanted to save with variable only changes and now it doesn't -- something changed here or a bug?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Worstje   Netherlands  (899 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Fri 08 Oct 2010 07:38 PM (UTC)
Can you narrow it down any? E.g. disable or remove your plugins, and add them back in one by one to see if any of them cause the crash?

Once we know that, we might be able to figure out what those plugins do that causes the crash, and try to fix whatever bug MUSHclient suffers from.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Fri 08 Oct 2010 07:59 PM (UTC)

Can you narrow it down any? E.g. disable or remove your plugins, and add them back in one by one to see if any of them cause the crash?

Once we know that, we might be able to figure out what those plugins do that causes the crash, and try to fix whatever bug MUSHclient suffers from.

I can't do that because I haven't even narrowed down what is causing the crash yet. It doesn't seem to be anything specific in combat and the logging doesn't show anything of like the last few seconds of combat before the crash.

I've tried having people hit me with things to recreate this but I've failed with that so far. Once I discover what is causing the crash I'll try to find the source.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Fri 08 Oct 2010 08:19 PM (UTC)
I can't do that because I haven't even narrowed down what is causing the crash yet. It doesn't seem to be anything specific in combat and the logging doesn't show anything of like the last few seconds of combat before the crash.

Import this:
<timers>
  <timer enabled="y" second="0.10" offset_second="0.00"    send_to="12"
>
  <send>if IsLogOpen() then
  FlushLog()
end</send>

</timer>
</timers>

It will flush the log to disk every 100ms. Obviously this isn't optimal for real gameplay because it'll slow things down a lot, but it'll be really useful for debugging.

'Soludra' on Achaea

[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #6 on Fri 08 Oct 2010 09:39 PM (UTC)
Every 10th of a second might be overdoing it. Probably every second or every 10 seconds. However the log might not tell you much.

Try going back to 4.61 - this was the version before the major code revamps. Possibly something related to plugins is doing it, as they were one of the major changes.

Try turning off MCCP - in case compression is responsible (in the Output configuration, check "Disable compression").

(Do these one at a time so we can work out which it is).

If the problem has NOT gone away with version 4.61, try working backwards in versions until it does (bisecting if you like, so if you were on 4.53 try 4.58, and then go up or down depending).

I'm guessing it is the changes in 4.62/4.63 because they were major and have been out for a comparatively short time. To try to isolate which change, see if you can remove half your plugins, and see if the problem goes away. If not, try the other half.

I know some plugins interact so it may not be possible to remove them one by one, but at least we should be able to say it is caused by one or two in isolation or together.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #7 on Fri 08 Oct 2010 09:40 PM (UTC)

Obviously this isn't optimal for real gameplay because it'll slow things down a lot, but it'll be really useful for debugging.

Slowing things down might stop the problem if it is some sort of race condition.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Fri 08 Oct 2010 10:13 PM (UTC)

My plugins don't talk to each other except your mapper and ATCP plugins. I didn't upgrade to the ones that came with the install either because I've changed the mapper so much that it wasn't worth it. However, it shouldn't be either of these plugins because I'm getting crashes when people attack me not when moving rooms.

I only ever die when I'm being attacked in a room. No other time am I being killed. None of my plugins deal with any of these situations at all so unless there is something real odd in the upgraded MUSH the plugins shouldn't be the cause.

I haven't made it happen in someone just messing with me yet but I want to get a monk to combo me for a while.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Fri 08 Oct 2010 10:40 PM (UTC)
The fact that is uses plugins at all, and that the upgrade changed the way plugins are traversed, could be the cause, regardless of whether you changed the plugins or not.

When you have time, if you can try my suggestions of going back to an earlier version, and disabling various plugins, that might help narrow it down.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Sun 17 Oct 2010 01:34 PM (UTC)
I haven't had time to do any of that but I have realized that I only crash when being stunned. I think it's only when the system doesn't recognize that I'm actually stunned. This never was a problem before.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Sun 17 Oct 2010 07:18 PM (UTC)
MUSHclient doesn't know you are stunned, per se, so it must be something a plugin does when you get stunned. If you can isolate it down a bit (eg. what happens in the plugins when you get stunned) that would be good.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Mon 25 Oct 2010 11:33 PM (UTC)
From talking in game, I gather that 4.61 is not affected; it doesn't only happen when he's stunned; and it does not happen when just walking around, but does happen when bashing.
(MUSHclient Users): You say, "Have you tried it with no triggers, no aliases, no plugins?"
(MUSHclient Users): Dontarion says, "Tried what, going into shallam and get shanked? No."
(MUSHclient Users): Dontarion says, "I've tried having people trigger it in Mhaldor but nothing worked."

It hasn't affected me, but then I don't do combat much at all.

'Soludra' on Achaea

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #13 on Tue 26 Oct 2010 03:20 AM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 26 Oct 2010 03:21 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

There were so many changes in version 4.62 it is hard to know where to start looking. Major source reorganizations might have caused an important line to be omitted, or things might work in subtly different ways, as was demonstrated with the problem with the Chat system callbacks.

What might work is this:

• Use a version that does *not* crash (eg. 4.61 or whatever is required)

• Turn on logging of everything (without adding stuff like preambles) so we have a record. Consider using "raw" logging which logs everything as received, including colour codes etc.

The suggested alias below assumes a raw log - this will retain the colours and other codes which might be causing it.

• Try to do the things that would cause a crash on a later version. (eg. get into combat, get stunned etc.)

• Turn off logging and go back somewhere safe

• Switch to a more recent version of MUSHclient, one that crashes.

• Replay the log file (see alias below) - hopefully the logged input will reproduce the crash. If so, start up the client again and start removing plugins until the crash goes away (replay the log file each time)

• If possible, cut the log file into pieces and replay each piece to try to work out which bit of input causes it.

This method should let you work out what is causing the crash without actually having to die in combat due to a client crash.

Alias to replay a log file (type "replay_log")

<aliases>
  <alias
   match="replay_log"
   enabled="y"
   send_to="12"
   sequence="100"
  >
  <send>

fname = utils.filepicker ("Choose log file to process" )

if not fname then
  return  -- cancelled dialog
end 

-- open log file
f = assert (io.open (fname, "r"))

-- read all into memory
s = f:read ("*a")

-- close log file
f:close ()

-- push through as if it were typed in

Simulate (s)

</send>
  </alias>
</aliases>

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #14 on Tue 26 Oct 2010 03:56 AM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 26 Oct 2010 03:57 AM (UTC) by Twisol

'Soludra' on Achaea

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

61,849 views.

This is page 1, subject is 2 pages long: 1 2  [Next page]

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]