[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  Bug reports
. . -> [Subject]  Logging failure - recent versions including 4.69.

Logging failure - recent versions including 4.69.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Toreador   USA  (10 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Thu 11 Nov 2010 06:21 PM (UTC)
When I log, the files don't contain standard text. Instead, they're filled with various symbols.

How do I fix this?

Thanks.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Thu 11 Nov 2010 06:49 PM (UTC)
Might you have checked the "Raw" button on the logging configuration page? That logs the raw data from the MUD including ANSI colour codes, which may look like "various symbols".

Unless you have a particular reason to, leave that unchecked.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Thu 11 Nov 2010 07:15 PM (UTC)
I've checked my world preferences, Raw was unchecked.

This is a sample of what I find in logs:

畂瑲湯愠⁴桓湡⁧‭桔牵摳祡‬潎敶扭牥ㄠⰱ㈠㄰ⰰ㌠ㄺ‱䵐਍ⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭⴭ਍਍桔獩椠⁳⁡整瑳氠杯映牯丠捩慇浭湯‬慭敤猠⁉慣敤潭獮牴瑡⁥桴⁥牰扯敬❉慨楶杮മ

Thanks.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #3 on Thu 11 Nov 2010 07:17 PM (UTC)
Ack. The sample of what I'm getting in the previous post is inaccurate. The symbols don't carry through into posting here.

The best description I can give is to say they look like Chinese language characters.

Thanks.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Thu 11 Nov 2010 07:47 PM (UTC)

Well that's odd. What version worked for you (if any)?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Thu 11 Nov 2010 07:49 PM (UTC)
Do you log just by turning logging on in the world configuration? Or do you use the WriteLog script function?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Thu 11 Nov 2010 07:52 PM (UTC)
Also, if you edit the log files do you actually see "畂瑲湯" or do you see the "chinese" characters, and they just look like that on the forum?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Thu 11 Nov 2010 07:53 PM (UTC)

Amended on Fri 12 Nov 2010 02:24 AM (UTC) by Nick Gammon

Can you email me one of the log files please? Zip it up in case the email program changes it somehow and sent it to:

(email address deleted to reduce spam)

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Thu 11 Nov 2010 10:11 PM (UTC)
Email sample soon to come. The characters appear as you showed them in one of your replies. I log using the log session function under File tab.

This started to happen a few versions ago, I've been using MushClient for years, even had paid registration before you changed over.

How do I use the WriteLog script function?

Thanks.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Fri 12 Nov 2010 02:26 AM (UTC)

The documentation for the WriteLog script function is available online. It is also in the MUSHclient help file.

However if you aren't using it I wouldn't necessarily start now. I am more interested to getting to the bottom of what is happening.

If you want to try, a low-sequence trigger, matching everything, and with "keep evaluating" checked, could use a small bit of script to send lines to the log file.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Fri 12 Nov 2010 03:33 AM (UTC)
I tried logging and it worked fine for me. Can you confirm a few other things?

• Did you install other things recently? For example, Chinese fonts.

• Have you started using encryption?

• Did you set up some sort of automatic zip-up of your log files to save space?

• What version of Windows do you have (or is it Ubuntu?)

• Can you run a disk-check utility (eg. chkdsk or whatever it is called)? It is possible your disk is corrupted and you are reading back bad data.

• Can you revert back to a version of MUSHclient that works? The Announcements section of the forum will have links to lots of older versions. If you can confirm that it works in version X, but not in X+1 that will help track it down.

• Can you possibly try it on a different PC (eg, a laptop) to confirm if it is just confined to a particular PC?

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

21,467 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]