[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  I think ports are blocked--any way of getting around?

I think ports are blocked--any way of getting around?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Nana   (10 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Tue 17 Sep 2013 05:36 PM (UTC)

So I had an issue as my university wi-fi doesn't seem to allow me to connect to all sorts of telnet related things. For example: webclients, Pidgin IM client, and MUSHclient.

So I want to connect to a MUSH while at school, and I first noticed it didn't work on my phone client (blowtorch and I also tried Muckluk). I tried a flash client (that always worked) on my phone using a flash-browser and I had it connect and everything, but due to the nature of the applet I was using I couldn't use it.

I suspect the ports are blocked, and I was wondering if there were any way to getting around it.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Tue 17 Sep 2013 10:36 PM (UTC)
I doubt it unless you can use a proxy server.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sat 21 Sep 2013 08:13 PM (UTC)
By proxy server, what exactly do you mean?

Do you mean a proxy at MUSHclient level? As in through the settings in MUSHclient?

Thanks for the response, though.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Shadowfyr   USA  (1,786 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Sat 21 Sep 2013 10:45 PM (UTC)
Uh. Both, sort of. You use an "outside" server that acts as an intermediary, so.. basically, Mushclient talks to it via a port that isn't blocked, like port 80 (html), then the proxy repeats that back to the place you are connecting to, on the correct port, and and data sent from the mud to your client first goes to the proxy server, and is repeated back to you. Basically, the server you use is what is actually "connected" to the game. Your own computer/device is connected to the proxy server.

Not sure what servers there are out there at the moment though, I have never been behind a wall, where I needed to use one. The closest I came to using one was setting up a local proxy on my own machine, which I used to fiddle with some ideas, but which wouldn't have worked for what you need (since being "local" it would still have had to try to connect through the school network, on a blocked ports.

Hmm. A Google on them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=online+proxy+sites&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I an sure you can find one, someplace, in that which can do the job.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,973 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #4 on Sun 22 Sep 2013 07:01 AM (UTC)
It depends on how obsessive the university is. A proxy server won't help if they lock down virtually every port and use a HTTP proxy for web access. An HTTP proxy expects HTTP protocol and would not recognize MUD commands.

If you can get Tor to work, conceivably you can get out via a Tor proxy. I've had that work in the past. But the Uni may block Tor ports.

https://www.torproject.org/

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #5 on Tue 24 Sep 2013 04:12 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 24 Sep 2013 07:47 PM (UTC) by Nana

If you can get Tor to work, conceivably you can get out via a Tor proxy. I've had that work in the past. But the Uni may block Tor ports.

I tried Tor browser and it wouldn't work for some reason. But I don't know how to set up Tor in any other way than through the browser.

Shadowfyr said:

Hmm. A Google on them:

https://www.google.com/search?q=online+proxy+sites&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I an sure you can find one, someplace, in that which can do the job.

Alright I am checking today to see if online proxies can take the flash client I use. I will get back to you on how it goes.

To both of you, thank you for trying to help so far!

EDIT: so I tried the online proxies with the flash client and they didn't work.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Carsinix   (8 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #6 on Sat 05 Oct 2013 06:54 AM (UTC)

Amended on Sat 05 Oct 2013 07:02 AM (UTC) by Carsinix

Have you actually tried to use the SOCKS PROXIES under mushclient to connect? You just said you tried connecting through mushclient. trying different clients wont get you around the port that is blocked unless you use a proxy.

You can google for free socks 4 and 5 proxies, and download a checker to see if they are alive or not. Usually you have to try to connect a few times to them go through. If works and have a spare bit of cash might be worth looking for a premium sock. So you dont always have to look for new proxies or worry about them kicking you and such.

But as others have said your UNI could have a strict lockdown on the ports. You could proba do a type of scan to see what ports can send and receive out of on some of he more commonly used ports.

If you have issues finding SOCKS or a checker let me know and ill post some links up.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Tue 08 Oct 2013 08:01 PM (UTC)

Have you actually tried to use the SOCKS PROXIES under mushclient to connect?

Yes. To no avail.

However I have found something that works as a solution:

I will document my steps here:

1. Get FreeCap: http://www.freecap.ru/eng/
  2. Install FreeCap.
  3. Open FreeCap, File > Settings > Proxy Settings
  4. Make the following changes:

i) Set "Server" to 127.0.0.1 (this is the localhost, yes?).
    ii) Set "Port" to 1080.
    iii) Select SOCKS v5, and leave everything under that blank.
    Note: it should look sort of like this:
    http://oi44.tinypic.com/287q00g.jpg

After that you click O.K..
  5. Still in FreeCap, click "New Application", then browse for the MUSHclient .exe .
    Once found just click O.K.. FreeCap is now set up.

6. Get HTTP Tunnel: http://www.http-tunnel.com/html/
  7. Install HTTP Tunnel.
  8. Open HTTP Tunnel, "Use Free Service".
  9. Go to "Configure" and make sure "No Proxy, only a Firewall" is checked.
  10. Test, then O.K., then Free Service again.

Go back to FreeCap, open MUSHclient. It should work.

Voila. Hopefully this helps someone.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #8 on Tue 08 Oct 2013 09:45 PM (UTC)

I had a page about tunneling a while back:

http://www.gammon.com.au/mushclient/stunnel.htm

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Tue 08 Oct 2013 11:30 PM (UTC)
Is this Stunnel similar to HTTP Tunnel? Because I tried to find a gnu version of an HTTP tunnel and GNUtunnel works differently than the program I described before.

It seems like it requires more work and I am not sure where to start, or if it will work the same way.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Wed 09 Oct 2013 11:07 PM (UTC)
I'm not sure, but if what you have works, go with it.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

Posted by Victorious   (89 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #11 on Wed 04 Dec 2013 10:52 AM (UTC)
Just stumbled on this thread and was trying to get stunnel to work. However, I'm getting the follow error with the latest version of stunnel and OpenSSL 1.0E:

2013.12.04 17:45:53 LOG3[1000:5376]: SSL_connect: 1408F10B: error:1408F10B:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_RECORD:wrong version number
2013.12.04 17:45:53 LOG5[1000:5376]: Connection reset: 0 byte(s) sent to SSL, 0 byte(s) sent to socket

Anyone have any ideas what went wrong?
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #12 on Wed 04 Dec 2013 08:09 PM (UTC)
Sounds like something you installed is not compatible with something else.

As I recall you had to get downloads from a couple of places when I wrote that a few years ago.

- Nick Gammon

[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

39,728 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]