[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Gammon Forum

See www.mushclient.com/spam for dealing with forum spam. Please read the MUSHclient FAQ!

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  MUSHclient
. -> [Folder]  General
. . -> [Subject]  WindowMenu - Better way to add checkmarks?
Home  |  Users  |  Search  |  FAQ
Username:
Register forum user name
Password:
Forgotten password?

WindowMenu - Better way to add checkmarks?

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Wuggly   USA  (112 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Mon 28 Mar 2016 10:01 PM (UTC)
I was wondering if anyone has come up with a better way to put that checkmark next to menu items in the WindowMenu function.

I have different settings that can be changed and when they are changed, it puts a checkmark in the menu next to whatever you changed, however it is making the code massive.

Currently I have it so it runs through a bunch of if statements before doing the WindowMenu function so it can build the menu with the checkmarks in the right spots depending on what all they've selected.

Here's a small part of it so you can see what I mean.

elseif GetVariable("avatar_checked") == "one" and GetVariable("castle_checked") == "two" and GetVariable("bgColour") == nil then
    menustring_settings ="! >Avatar Image | +Default | - | Browse... | < | >Background Image | Castle 1 | +Castle 2 | Castle 3 | - | Browse... | < | - | Background Color | - | List equipment stats "  
 elseif GetVariable("avatar_checked") == "one" and GetVariable("castle_checked") == "one" and GetVariable("bgColour") == nil then
    menustring_settings ="! >Avatar Image | +Default | - | Browse... | < | >Background Image | +Castle 1 | Castle 2 | Castle 3 | - | Browse... | < | - | Background Color | - | List equipment stats " 
 elseif GetVariable("avatar_checked") == "one" and GetVariable("castle_checked") == "three" and GetVariable("bgColour") == nil then
    menustring_settings ="! >Avatar Image | +Default | - | Browse... | < | >Background Image | Castle 1 | Castle 2 | +Castle 3 | - | Browse... | < | - | Background Color | - | List equipment stats "  
 elseif GetVariable("avatar_checked") == "one" and GetVariable("castle_checked") == "browse" and GetVariable("bgColour") == nil then
    menustring_settings ="! >Avatar Image | +Default | - | Browse... | < | >Background Image | Castle 1 | Castle 2 | Castle 3 | - | +Browse... | < | - | Background Color | - | List equipment stats "  

I just cannot think of an efficient way to do this with the checkmarks. I have tried a few different ways for it to know what all has a checkmark, but still ended up with a massive code.

Any ideas?
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (21,388 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #1 on Mon 28 Mar 2016 11:49 PM (UTC)

No, that is very inefficient. Try:

menu = {
  [1] = "! >Avatar Image",
  [2] = "Default",
  [3] = "-",
  [4] = "Browse...",
  [5] = "<",
  [6] = ">Background Image",
  [7] = "Castle 1",
  [8] = "Castle 2",
  [9] = "Castle 3",
  [10] = "-",
  [11] = "Browse...",
  [12] = "<",
  [13] = "-",
  [14] = "Background Color",
  [15] = "-",
  [16] = "List equipment stats",
  }

function checkItem (which)
  menu [which] = "+" .. menu [which]
end -- checkItem

if GetVariable("avatar_checked") then
   checkItem (2)
end -- if

if GetVariable("castle_checked") == "one" then
  checkItem (7)
elseif GetVariable("castle_checked") == "two" then
  checkItem (8)
elseif GetVariable("castle_checked") == "three" then
  checkItem (9)
end -- if 

print (table.concat (menu, "|"))

Output:

! >Avatar Image|+Default|-|Browse...|<|>Background Image|Castle 1|+Castle 2|Castle 3|-|Browse...|<|-|Background Color|-|List equipment stats

You could improve on the above, but that shows the general idea.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Posted by Wuggly   USA  (112 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #2 on Tue 29 Mar 2016 03:55 PM (UTC)

Amended on Tue 29 Mar 2016 05:22 PM (UTC) by Wuggly

Thanks for helping making this menu much more efficient and now I can add more menu items to it easily like adding more default avatars =)

Also doing it that way, putting the checkmarks after checking the variables makes it so it can remember where the checkmarks are for the next session which is perfect and made it simple for the first time run setting the defaults.

Very grateful!

Here's the beginning of the menu code now

function settings_click_menu ()
 menu = {
  [1] = "! >Avatar Image",
  [2] = "Default",
  [3] = "-",
  [4] = "Browse...",
  [5] = "<",
  [6] = ">Background Image",
  [7] = "Castle 1",
  [8] = "Castle 2",
  [9] = "Castle 3",
  [10] = "-",
  [11] = "Browse...",
  [12] = "<",
  [13] = "-",
  [14] = "Background Color",
  [15] = "-",
  [16] = "List equipment stats",
  }

if GetVariable("castle_checked") == "one" or GetVariable("castle_checked") == nil then
  checkItem (7)
 elseif GetVariable("castle_checked") == "two" then
  checkItem (8)
 elseif GetVariable("castle_checked") == "three" then
  checkItem (9)
 elseif GetVariable("castle_checked") == "browse" then
  checkItem (11)
 end -- if 

if GetVariable("avatar_checked") == "one" or GetVariable("avatar_checked") == nil then
   checkItem (2)
 elseif GetVariable("avatar_checked") == "browse" then
   checkItem (4)
 end -- if

if GetVariable("bgColour") ~= nil then
  checkItem (14)
  menu [14] = menu [14] .. " [" .. RGBColourToName(bgColour) .. "]"
 end -- if
 result = WindowMenu (titlebar_window, 65, 15, table.concat (menu, "|"))

Don't know why I originally had the browse part of the avatar_checked called two but have changed it to browse like the castle_checked one. In fact naming it castle_checked seems kind of dumb too, should probably call it like background_checked or bg_checked lol.

And doing the menu that way, has allowed me to do cool things like when they select a background color instead of an image, it tells them the color they have picked in the menu. =)

Anyways, thanks again!
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

1,907 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at FutureQuest]