[Home] [Downloads] [Search] [Help/forum]

Register forum user name Search FAQ

Gammon Forum

[Folder]  Entire forum
-> [Folder]  SMAUG
. -> [Folder]  SMAUG coding
. . -> [Subject]  Looking for these snippets for SMAUG or FUSS

Looking for these snippets for SMAUG or FUSS

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Posted by Alyce   (43 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Fri 02 Sep 2016 04:42 AM (UTC)
I have seen these many years ago but the resources are no longer online. If anyone has a copy or a link to any of these, then I would be sooooo greatful

1.) Random EQ generator (kind of like diablo)
2.) Day/Night Room descriptions (where the descriptions of the rooms changed based on mudtime)

3.) A tutorial on how to add a wear location
4.) Socketed Items (where you can insert a gem or something into your EQ)
[Go to top] top

Posted by Fiendish   USA  (2,514 posts)  [Biography] bio   Global Moderator
Date Reply #1 on Fri 02 Sep 2016 09:24 PM (UTC)
I don't know about snippets, but since you're learning about how to amend SMAUG code anyway, what if I were to direct you to find the code that contains a virtual piece of EQ (maybe it's a struct somewhere?) and then look up how to generate random numbers in C.

https://github.com/fiendish/aardwolfclientpackage
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #2 on Sat 03 Sep 2016 12:14 AM (UTC)

With playing around in the code, a BASIC understanding, and help from you guys, I'm sure that it'll work out.
[Go to top] top

Posted by Meerclar   USA  (733 posts)  [Biography] bio
Date Reply #3 on Sat 03 Sep 2016 01:19 AM (UTC)

I have seen these many years ago but the resources are no longer online. If anyone has a copy or a link to any of these, then I would be sooooo greatful

1.) Random EQ generator (kind of like diablo)
2.) Day/Night Room descriptions (where the descriptions of the rooms changed based on mudtime)

3.) A tutorial on how to add a wear location
4.) Socketed Items (where you can insert a gem or something into your EQ)

1 Use mprogs to accomplish this. Death progs can have multiple possible drops at various rarities, including a default drop if none of the good stuff drops.

2 You really want a different codebase than SMAUG of SMAUGFUSS for this, there are several that already incorporate this feature as a standard thing.

3 You'll probably *need* a different codebase unless FUSS was moved to extended bit vectors to allow for more wear slots to even be possible. Another thing that other options exist for as a standard feature.

4 I'm going to suggest mprogs for this one too.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
Coder, Builder, and Tormenter of Mortals
Stormbringer: Rebirth
storm-bringer.org:4500
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #4 on Sat 03 Sep 2016 01:58 AM (UTC)
sorry, I would have replied sooner but I am still on a timer....

1.) Yes... I can do that.. and have done that.. but that would involve mprogs for every mob... i'd like to have one way to do it all the time.. also the mprog buffer is limited so that makes me limited on what kind of random EQ I can generate.

2.) I had this snip before about 10 years ago in a smaug code I was playing with.. so I know it exists.. but the resources seem to have gone away from the internets

3.) Again.. there was instructions for SMAUG before many many years ago.. i've done it before... but as I said.. resources are gone

4.) I thought about mprogs or even utilizing layering.. but the drawback is that I'd be able to wear a gem without the armor, or be able to add the gem over and over if i used the prog.. again I have seen this for SMAUG specifically before.

I know others preach other codebases, but I know many have ported other code to SMAUG... I may not be a 'coder' by trade, but I know that anything CAN be coded, it's just a matter of speaking the language (which i'm far from fluent at)

Don't take me wrong.. I value all the inputs and i'm not turning my nose up at your suggestion... it's just that i'm familiar with the layout of smaug, and I know i've seen them before ported to smaug.

If you do happen to run across any resources, or even something from another code that you think I might be able to figure out how to port over myself (again i'm not too experienced) then please please post a link to it. It never hurts!!

thank you!!
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #5 on Sat 03 Sep 2016 02:42 AM (UTC)
I've released you from the timer (I think). Let me know if it still affects you.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #6 on Sat 03 Sep 2016 03:13 AM (UTC)
oh wow thanks! I promise not to abuse my posting privileges lol.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #7 on Sat 03 Sep 2016 04:09 PM (UTC)
I'm not so much preaching other codebases over SMAUG, it's simply that the time and frustration you'll spend on these projects with SMAUG could be put to far better use elsewhere. As you've already noted, most of the source material for these snippets has long vanished from the web and working it up from scratch, particularly as a beginning coder, is going to be far more effort than you realize yet. Something as seemingly simple as the night descriptions for instance is going to require changing your area file format which necessitates either extensive modification to your existing areas or some extra modification of the code to handle the existing files breaking the new format. You're also going to need to go in and add night descriptions to the existing areas if you want them to exist which is another workload on top of the coding.

As for your specific issues with my previous suggestions:
1 Does *every* mob *really* need randomized loot?
4 Not if you set the prog up properly. Hand in 2 items, mob 'combines' them, hands back finished 'upgrade'. meta code looks something like:

bribe <item 1> or <item 2>
   if not holding other item already
        Nice, do you have <other item> as well?
   else
        Excellent, one moment while I perform the necessary rituals
        <insert effects as desired>
        load finished item by vnum
        hand finished item to player
        junk base items
   endif

Unless you do something crazy like allowing the same gem to be added to all of the upgrades, no duplication is possible this way. Granted, this way you end up creating a few extra prototypes but it's not like you're in any way really concerned about hard drive space quotas for your code. Log files, now those might be a hard drive quota issue but that's another matter entirely.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

Posted by Nick Gammon   Australia  (22,975 posts)  [Biography] bio   Forum Administrator
Date Reply #8 on Sat 03 Sep 2016 10:02 PM (UTC)
@Meerclar - I replied to your PM but the message bounced. The issue you mentioned about not being able to start new threads has hopefully been resolved.

It was counting your replies as new threads.

- Nick Gammon

www.gammon.com.au, www.mushclient.com
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #9 on Sat 03 Sep 2016 11:47 PM (UTC)
Mine was doing the same last night.. but I can post now.. not sure if it's fixed for me too or if i just got reset on the post count for the day
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #10 on Sun 04 Sep 2016 12:29 AM (UTC)
Meerclar, you seem to know your way around mprogs and seem to be confident on how to make things happen... Next month sometime i'll be putting my code online and advertising for builders. If you don't have your own project or home-mud, i'd love to see if you'd be interested?

I'm doing a dark, twisted Alice in wonderland inspired by American Mcgee.

Adult themed... would love to have some fresh ideas and support!

Again, it wont be until next month when i can get a shell account but I thought i'd put that out there.
[Go to top] top

Date Reply #11 on Sun 04 Sep 2016 01:55 AM (UTC)

@Meerclar - I replied to your PM but the message bounced. The issue you mentioned about not being able to start new threads has hopefully been resolved.

It was counting your replies as new threads.

Bounced you say? I'll have to take a look at what email I have registered here in that case. I'll let you know if I see it again but looks good so far :)

Thanks for the fixes and support and encouraging words to all of us when we hit rough spots.

Meerclar - Lord of Cats
www.storm-bringer.org
[Go to top] top

The dates and times for posts above are shown in Universal Co-ordinated Time (UTC).

To show them in your local time you can join the forum, and then set the 'time correction' field in your profile to the number of hours difference between your location and UTC time.

25,359 views.

It is now over 60 days since the last post. This thread is closed.     [Refresh] Refresh page

Go to topic:           Search the forum

[Go to top] top

Quick links: MUSHclient. MUSHclient help. Forum shortcuts. Posting templates. Lua modules. Lua documentation.

Information and images on this site are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Australia License unless stated otherwise.

[Home]

Written by Nick Gammon - 5K   profile for Nick Gammon on Stack Exchange, a network of free, community-driven Q&A sites   Marriage equality

Comments to: Gammon Software support
[RH click to get RSS URL] Forum RSS feed ( https://gammon.com.au/rss/forum.xml )

[Best viewed with any browser - 2K]    [Hosted at HostDash]